So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:16 am

Looks pretty good, feels pretty good. But with such limitations what's the incentive to actually make anything to test out? I pretty much opened it up and said yep, this is C2 with a couple of nice useabilty tweaks that should have been in C2 from the start and a whole bunch of limitations. I'll give it another look later on. Expectations were already drastically lowered for this.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:29 am

Error Javascript Line 0.... already disabled my adblock and tampermonkey

Well if I have to play witch hunt with my Chrome extensions then I'd rather wait for Desktop version.... I knew this browser based apps is not gonna work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:50 am

New design, smooth animations is cool, but i'm a bit dissapointed of missed/changed features that C2 had.
This is my imho and it's based on my habbits using C2 which i like so much for it's very predictible workflow!

- Ctrl+w - That's the biggest thing. How to close tabs?
- Alt+4 - It's not very handy to use play button each time i work with keyboard only.
- Missing +/- buttons on the add Behaviour, and Variable windows. These windows also looks unfinished(design) without the buttons in compare to C2 version.
- 'Save as' shortcut also Missing :(

- Menu button. You moved project options in sub section, that's pretty uncomfortable to waltk through all the menus each time i need to save it or export or close a project. And where is the 'Recent projects' option?
Basically the rest of the menu options ( view, preferences , help, store, etc..) are not used that much as the menus that was hidden in "project" section.

- The grey bar at the left of the properties bar. It cuts space and looks not as nice as the rest of ui.
Might be better to make it less wide. Looks like it needs only for separating 2 menu options - 'More information' and 'Project properties'. What about to separate it in other way?

I'm going to buy license of C3 and i'm waiting for it, but would be cool to make it as good as C2 in terms of ui usage. That's my first impression. Good luck!
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 am

As I love to use C2, I have to love this sofware because it´s the same.

But my impression is negative. I am not waiting for big improvement since I read about "bounded corners" as a new feature.

The start page as improve, and is more clear, but there is not to many new stuff in there.

I was waiting for improvements anxiosly for improvements on audio objetct in c3, but there is nothing new about it.

There are not new behaviors in this beta. :(

As a developer I know that a minimal improvement have a lot of work behind it. But I was waiting for something more revolucionary on C3.
MY APPS ON GOOGLEPLAY
ImageImageImage
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 am

My impressions are ambivalent. When I had run it (C3) I felt like I was working on C2 but somehow deprecated. I saw the same options and the same workflow but sometimes I felt a little lost - for example I could not added behaviour to the object for the first time. Just a while later I pressed a right mouse button for a submenu. I had looked for a new stuff but I could not find them fast, so I think I don't need them at now.

I like the plugin idea. It could be added to C2 too :)

So for me this is a C2 in the browser which doesn't fit my expectations. After the test I was happy to run C2 again.

So in my opinion C2 is a good tool. So good that the new one could not beat it yet...

... and it is working slower than C2.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am

Since yesterday I´m running my two principal game dev projects (AscDungeon and OrcLeader) in C3 and my first thoughts are:

- It´s a Tech demo IMHO, with a lot of restrictions, or unfinished resources. Really, I´m C2 heavy user, and I´m really dissapointed with this version. More restrictive free version, and a lot of dev friends are pissed off.
- Didn´t like the "browser version" (pop-up windows sux). I´m not run my C3 in mobile devices, I have a big screen and love it.
- Crash 2 times when I running in a slow internet connection (I tested for see what happens)
- I lost a lot of things when when I pressed back button in my Iphone.

It´s very negative in a first momment. I´m really waiting the next weeks...
"keep calm we have giant robots!"
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:07 am

amarcelo wrote:Since yesterday I´m running my two principal game dev projects (AscDungeon and OrcLeader) in C3 and my first thoughts are:

- It´s a Tech demo IMHO, with a lot of restrictions, or unfinished resources. Really, I´m C2 heavy user, and I´m really dissapointed with this version. More restrictive free version, and a lot of dev friends are pissed off.
- Didn´t like the "browser version" (pop-up windows sux). I´m not run my C3 in mobile devices, I have a big screen and love it.
- Crash 2 times when I running in a slow internet connection (I tested for see what happens)
- I lost a lot of things when when I pressed back button in my Iphone.

It´s very negative in a first momment. I´m really waiting the next weeks...

I agree, But. Give it another 6 or 12 month and it will be getting closer to current C2 level :) But Anyway sarcasm off, its just needs more time. Its pretty much Alpha testing. I would not even consider to make serious project in C3, at this stage.

As for the Browser, well if it works I dont care if its browser or not but seems this will bring so many issues cause of the Chrome wrapper. Actually is there any other engine like this that uses Browser ? If not maybe there is a reason for this, and thats why all big players on market have Stand Alone Versions for Mac and PC.
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 am

It´s a Tech demo IMHO

This is a good summary
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm

The overall impression is great, the UI improvements are fantastic in all regards. Feels a lot nicer to use. Making it a desktop app improves the experience as well. Eventing workflow is improved as well.

Small nitpicks but the color gradients in the tabs for eventsheets and layouts is ugly to me, bit inconsistent with the rest of the UI coloring? Also the X in the corner, to close the windows, is too dull to see on the blue, the X should be a blacker color.

I did see a comment by Ashley somewhere that was going to be further UI design in the beta or something, like color customizations etc. That would be great if it's done better than C2's. All it needs is an option to switch between this and an overall darker theme feeling, like Adobe Photoshop would likely be a nice option.

I'll probably wait till it's out of beta and people have sorted out the bugs before using it again.
Last edited by alspal on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 pm

I have to wonder why would Scirra tease us for months with so many new features and then release a beta where almost all of these new features are locked. I understand that Scirra wants to test and fix all the basic features first, but why even start teasing with the new features so early when in reality they are months away?

I tested out everything I could think of with the available features. I made a few test games and tested out cloud saving support. Everything worked well for me and I didn't encounter any problems. The editor itself looks and feels almost identical to C2 editor and I really like it.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion