So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:06 pm

A bit amazed to not find anything that makes it stand out from Construct 2.
I mean use wise, core components, game elements.

Obviously;
Apart from it running in an browser, and having an integrated export feature, there is nothing that makes it really stand out from its predecessors, game development wise. (yes the development flow might have become easier, but it makes no difference for experienced users)

What I am seeing in the first 10 minutes of use, is construct 2 in a browser, without my ui preferences from my local 2 version.

I would have expected to see something like 3d options and new objects ... taking the whole actual game development up a notch from 2d. Perhaps some inventory system or mini map options, new functionality from objects.

This version 3 might make development mobile, but it does not add extra/new features I would have liked to see.
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Copy events as text's got me all nostalgic for CC.

+ Touch: Is in touch
-> Sprite: Set position to (lerp(​Self.​X,​Touch.​X,​2​×​dt), lerp(​Self.​Y,​Touch.​Y,​2​×​dt))
-> Sprite: Set angle to anglelerp(​Self.​Angle,​angle(​Self.​X,​Self.​Y,​Touch.​X,​Touch.​Y)​,​3​×​dt) degrees

+ System: Every tick
-> System: Scroll to (lerp(​ScrollX,​Sprite.​X,​1​×​dt), lerp(​ScrollY,​Sprite.​Y,​1​×​dt))

I double dog dare you to add paste text as events to the editor. heh
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm

Now that we have events to text, and we know the Scirra team have expressed interest in trying a text to events parser, I pray that we're one step closer to a text editor based version of the event sheet.

Being able to type an event sheet, I'd buy C3 for that alone. Add some decent code hinting and I'm a customer for life.

I was surprised with how much I enjoyed being able to dock windows literally anywhere, and split existing views (want two side panels to act as event sheets, you can!); off the back of this, I'd love the following:

1) Save custom layouts to use from the settings menu.
2) Being able to dock the preview window.

C3 also has an odd and slightly annoying habit of launching the preview window in the bottom right hand corner of my screen; but this is on a second monitor for a Surface Pro 4, which are absolute bastards when it comes to dual monitors...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Used C3 more today... I honestly think the UI is beautiful.. with nice expanding popups, colors and bigger text.

my main issue is it's in a browser. honestly, who wants to do game development in a browser?

I get it.. the future.. someday, browsers and applications will just meld as one thing you use on a computer. But for now they are NOT that. I use my Browser a ton and have MANY tabs open, for NON gamedev things.. I'm sorry.. but I want an application. I know Scirra Team plans on wrapping it into a stand alone app.. but that feels like an after thought and they seem to really be pushing the browser. Why? who wants this??

I've been using C3 and C2 side by side all day.. When in C3 I'm all stressed out, feels cramped for some reason and feel a sense of relief when I go to C2. I can't explain it, something is just not right about it being in a browser. Not talking about functionality at all.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 pm

-_-
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:05 am

jobel wrote:Used C3 more today... I honestly think the UI is beautiful.. with nice expanding popups, colors and bigger text.

my main issue is it's in a browser. honestly, who wants to do game development in a browser?

I get it.. the future.. someday, browsers and applications will just meld as one thing you use on a computer. But for now they are NOT that. I use my Browser a ton and have MANY tabs open, for NON gamedev things.. I'm sorry.. but I want an application. I know Scirra Team plans on wrapping it into a stand alone app.. but that feels like an after thought and they seem to really be pushing the browser. Why? who wants this??

I've been using C3 and C2 side by side all day.. When in C3 I'm all stressed out, feels cramped for some reason and feel a sense of relief when I go to C2. I can't explain it, something is just not right about it being in a browser. Not talking about functionality at all.

I think I understand that feeling. When I have C2 open I also have a paint program, audacity and other programs open at the same time and I am shifting between those constantly as I develop a game. I may have a C2 game design in progress and have that open for days while I work on it here and there between other projects.

I use my browser for running my own business so I have email contacts constantly and I will probably have a youtube live feed going and and may be researching materials in other tabs at the the same time so having yet another tab for developing games throws off my work flow and I closed the C3 tab by accident twice and if my internet connection drops there goes my game progress.

I am hoping the desktop version will overcome those problems but if it is also run in a browser window requiring internet connection online I will probably not be too interested.

I am thinking people that have limited bandwidth that have to pay for more bandwidth are probably not too interested in a browser based design and that is a lot of people.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:36 am

First Impression:

A much more restricted (currently unusable) version of C2 in a browser on my mac.

I am *thrilled* to finally be able to work in Mac OS. It is an incredibly liberating feeling after spending years using either an old junker Windows laptop or VMWare Fusion (which was recently lobotomized by the Windows 10 upgrade).

I would love to be able to open up old C2 projects to see how they work in C3, but can't due to both the event limit and due to the lack of 3rd-party plugins (LiteTween, mostly).

I don't mind the fact that it is running in Chrome, as I will only use Chrome for Construct 3. The file saving issue bothers me quite a bit though. I do lots and lots of small projects, and not being able to specify local download folders could make things difficult and messy.

All in all, I see C3 positioning itself really well for the US high school chromebook districts. It should be a snap for students to use if they already have chromebooks. Unfortunately, my district is iPad-only, so we'll have to wait to see what happens with iPads/Safari over the next few years.
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 am

I'm using Mac. Layout editor keep blank after adding some runs. I can't see my sprites anymore in Layout.
We're just a sprite in digital earth
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:29 am

lamar wrote:I think I understand that feeling. When I have C2 open I also have a paint program, audacity and other programs open at the same time and I am shifting between those constantly as I develop a game. I may have a C2 game design in progress and have that open for days while I work on it here and there between other projects.

I use my browser for running my own business so I have email contacts constantly and I will probably have a youtube live feed going and and may be researching materials in other tabs at the the same time so having yet another tab for developing games throws off my work flow and I closed the C3 tab by accident twice and if my internet connection drops there goes my game progress.

exactly... I just don't want it there distracting me, with bookmarks, address bar, tabs, Enhanced Steam all blinking at me etc... I use Google Docs, but if I'm making a large document with lots of editing/formatting I want Word. I guess it's just what I am used to... but it feels wrong.

I hope we can get another few years out of C2...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:46 am

I felt it is more like C2 in browser and not much different (more like iPhone7 release after iPhone6 )

May be we need to see more possibilities through templates / examples in future that are much more enticing and drastically different in C3 and that C2 cannot do...I mean something more than just a mere enhancement of an existing C2 feature...
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion