So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:51 am

ramose73 wrote:I'm using Mac. Layout editor keep blank after adding some runs. I can't see my sprites anymore in Layout.

If you have a specific bug issue like this please report it in the C3 bug section and provide the necessary system and platform info so Ashley can address it.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 am

Yup, C2 in a browser and 99$/year :roll:

It is indeed impressive to create a fully functional advanced game creation tool that is browser based. This has some advantages, as multiple platforms support and since Construct only exports html/js it will have a better integration of the IDE.

The good:
- Works better then expected even on mobiles
- Some useful new features, that can't be tested/previewed in beta ...
- All the good parts that C2 had

The bad:
- Browser based
- Dependence on other services/servers
- Pretty much anything else

My advice for Ashley and Tom: If this is really the direction you are going, then focus on web platforms/portals (and maybe mobiles). The Newgrounds (and AirConsole) announcement shows the potential of Construct for html5 games.
I don't think any developer would want to start a big game (spend a few years) in a browser based not-yet-finished-html5.

Also, I like the new website, nice and clean :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:02 am

Just read through some of the many bug reports for C3.

There were about 6 pages of bug reports the first day but from what I see Scirra has closed about half of them with the same response that is should be fixed in the next release or can't do anything about it or your computer is the problem not C3.

I thought Scirra said they had internal bug reporting built into C3 so they could get accurate bug reports to fix problems?

Anyway, the Scirra response to most of these C3 bugs seems to be the same as we got with bugs in C2. That does not bode well for getting problems fixed anytime soon.

Just my observation.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks your comments... I´l still in C2 with my projects for along time... C3 needs more time to transform in a solid app

foxium wrote:
amarcelo wrote:Since yesterday I´m running my two principal game dev projects (AscDungeon and OrcLeader) in C3 and my first thoughts are:

- It´s a Tech demo IMHO, with a lot of restrictions, or unfinished resources. Really, I´m C2 heavy user, and I´m really dissapointed with this version. More restrictive free version, and a lot of dev friends are pissed off.
- Didn´t like the "browser version" (pop-up windows sux). I´m not run my C3 in mobile devices, I have a big screen and love it.
- Crash 2 times when I running in a slow internet connection (I tested for see what happens)
- I lost a lot of things when when I pressed back button in my Iphone.

It´s very negative in a first momment. I´m really waiting the next weeks...

I agree, But. Give it another 6 or 12 month and it will be getting closer to current C2 level :) But Anyway sarcasm off, its just needs more time. Its pretty much Alpha testing. I would not even consider to make serious project in C3, at this stage.

As for the Browser, well if it works I dont care if its browser or not but seems this will bring so many issues cause of the Chrome wrapper. Actually is there any other engine like this that uses Browser ? If not maybe there is a reason for this, and thats why all big players on market have Stand Alone Versions for Mac and PC.
"keep calm we have giant robots!"
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Technically, Construct 3 is quite impressive. I see people going on about how it looks, failing to acknowledge the Scirra team are the first out of the event-based game maker tools to create a browser editor. Even more impressive is they're not using any frameworks or libraries, it's all just vanilla Javascript with CSS and HTML. A lot of work has gone into this and I think it's fantastic.

It definitely needs some work and absolutely needs some "wow" features missing from Construct 2, to warrant spending $99 a year on Construct 3. I think Scirra knows they need to beat Construct 2 in features, ease of use and other aspects. If Construct 3 offers native exporters for iOS and Android without needing to use horrible third-party solutions like Cocoon or Cordova, I am definitely sold and will day one purchase. That alone would be a worthy upgrade feature.
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Digitalsa wrote:Technically, Construct 3 is quite impressive. I see people going on about how it looks, failing to acknowledge the Scirra team are the first out of the event-based game maker tools to create a browser editor. Even more impressive is they're not using any frameworks or libraries, it's all just vanilla Javascript with CSS and HTML. A lot of work has gone into this and I think it's fantastic.

It definitely needs some work and absolutely needs some "wow" features missing from Construct 2, to warrant spending $99 a year on Construct 3. I think Scirra knows they need to beat Construct 2 in features, ease of use and other aspects. If Construct 3 offers native exporters for iOS and Android without needing to use horrible third-party solutions like Cocoon or Cordova, I am definitely sold and will day one purchase. That alone would be a worthy upgrade feature.

So if they can now fix the export issues that have plagued C2 why not just fix those issues in C2 since so many people have paid for that license already and have been waiting for those fixes that were promised?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm

That's a good question actually. I think they just want to move on to their new "tech" since they can build it around their own exporting system rather than try to do some cumbersome half-rewrite of C2 to add that functionality. Maybe, I dunno really. I was on board with the subscription until testing it out. Now I can't justify it at the moment. The browser engine tech is pretty cool in its own right, and I could see it in 10 years being a lot more advanced. But in the end, it's still HTML5. Their target audience is clear, and Newgrounds makes the perfect match for this engine. Outside of that, wrapper heaven is not gonna cut it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Digitalsa wrote: the Scirra team are the first out of the event-based game maker tools to create a browser editor.

no I think that was Scratch, been out for a few years now.. pretty sure that runs in Flash.

https://scratch.mit.edu/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:31 pm

lamar wrote:Just read through some of the many bug reports for C3.

There were about 6 pages of bug reports the first day but from what I see Scirra has closed about half of them with the same response that is should be fixed in the next release or can't do anything about it or your computer is the problem not C3.

I thought Scirra said they had internal bug reporting built into C3 so they could get accurate bug reports to fix problems?

Anyway, the Scirra response to most of these C3 bugs seems to be the same as we got with bugs in C2. That does not bode well for getting problems fixed anytime soon.

Just my observation.

Hahahaha, nothing new here, check your graphic drivers, they are in fault, not C2 or C3!! Of course not!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:27 pm

I have only been using C2 for about a year, so transitioning to C3 has been easy for me.

I have a had a couple crashes but LOVE the error message that allows you to save before reloading. Nice touch.

All of this said I have given up on developing with it because of the "preview once, yes, preview twice, no." bug, which means that I have to reload the project after every preview. If I don't, the preview simply doesn't start when I click on the play button (or debug button). With that, it is just too time consuming.

[EDIT: If you go into Menu|Settings and change the drop down "Preview With" from "PopUp" to "Dialog" the preview issue is gone. Hooray! (Yes, I had already turned off blocking popups in chrome, so it isn't that)]

All in all, this is certainly worth 99 bucks/year to me. Especially with native mobile app compilation.

Thanks to Scirra for their hard work!

Sean
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion