So What Is Your Second Impression of C3 And Will You Buy?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!

Most of you have probably had a chance to try C3 by now and a week to play around with it so after using it for awhile what is your second impression and will you be subscribing to C3?

Please tell us how you will be using C3 if you will be subscribing and if you are a serious game designer, small time game designer, hobbyist, educator or using the engine for some other purpose?

Also please tell us if you are a long time C2 user or new to game design or switching from some other engine to a Sciirra engine?

If you won't be subscribing to C3 please tell us why and if anything would change your mind?

If you have a specific bug issue please report it in the bug section so it can be addressed and let's keep this thread to your impressions, uses planned for C3 and reasons to subscribe or not please.

Thanks and let's try to keep this thread on topic and civil please.

My trigger finger is itching. As a Linux gamer, web developer and games journalist I was really excited when they announced Linux support.

I've been toying with it and I'm in love. Easy to use, clear interface. Obvious teething issues, but Beta is Beta and it's to be expected.

It's a wonderful tool. My only gripe, is that the Free Edition we are allowed to test right now is so limited, that my own test project cannot continue until I buy it. There's only so much we can do with these limitations. Even so, I will still look to buy it thanks to Linux support and because it is as interesting as it is.

I don't have any issues with buying it at all, my issue is that we have to wait until we can to continue really do any proper testing due to the limits imposed. I do have issues with the subscription model though, I prefer to buy once per major version, even a small upgrade between version is okay, but having to pay full price every year does make me feel uneasy.

It took me maybe 2 days to make a small shooter, with particles, lighting and an online high score table. Considering my only programming experience is PHP, this amazes me.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Serious dev.

Subbing for first year IF export shows to work for mobile well enough. Have games waiting for export from C2.

On the otherhand - if someone could explain how to change zoom level on Chrome android that'd be a help.

Was told this was a solution to the giant GUI, but no explanation online on how to do it in the android app. (Let alone the "app" version of C3 openable from homescreen)

If it works, I can dev on my inexpensive android tablet w/ mouse around the country instead of lugging around my workstation laptop.

Point being, if I'm paying this much for the software, its main selling point better be of use to me. In its current form, the mobile version sucks, usable to me if zoomed out and mouse usable.

On the otherhand - if someone could explain how to change zoom level on Chrome android that'd be a help.

On desktop, there's a zoom option in the Chrome menu. On Android you can adjust the text size in accessibility settings, and in newer versions of Android you can scale the entire display in the OS too.

We've specifically designed the UI to scale with your text size and browser zoom level so this ought to be entirely configurable.

I will get the ball rolling and answer my own post.

I have been playing around with C3 quite a bit since it was released.

I was not very happy with the rollout beta which I could not get to open and run at first. With some tweaking to get my Chrome version to work and disabling adblock and enabling popups I was finally able to try some of the demos.

One of the first things I noticed was the error message saying the demos were not fully supported in the beta due to event limitations. I did finally get one of the demos to play .

I tried loading a couple of my own small games with few events and no addons and plugins but after loading I got a white screen on one and errors on the other. I did finally get one of my games with less than 20 events to load and run.

I have been trying to learn the new C3 controls and layout and still having trouble finding things like how to do snap to grid? Has anyone figured that out?

I had the engine crash a few times for unexplained reasons and I thought Scirra said they had internal bug reporting in C3 but when trying to report bugs on a new engine without knowing how that engine is supposed to function except by comparing it to C2 became an act in futility.

I got a few simple test games I designed to run but I am so used to C2 that I spent a lot of time just trying to figure how to do the same things in C3 that I do without thinking much about in C2.

So a little about me. I am a retired professional educator and publisher and now small time game developer for niche games and education games. I am old and started programming on a Vic20 and I have seen many game languages and engines come and go.

I have been using C2 as my primary design engine because it is fast and fairly simple to use to create a game and I am not really looking to go big time and I am under no illusion that my games will be console quality. They are popular with the niche audience I design for and that is good enough for me.

My overall impression of C3 is it is C2 in a browser but not a fully working version and I detest Chrome for many reasons and putting an engine in a browser just makes no sense to me but maybe other people like it. I do worry that the Chrome interface is going to cause problems with C3 in the future and WebGl is still just an experimental feature of Chrome that they may decide tomorrow to get rid of and do something different.

So, I will not be subscribing to C3 in the foreseeable future and if Scirra abandons C2 I will be disappointed in their choice but there are lots of engines out there and more each year it seems so I will be looking around for something with a visual editor and if it does 3D even better.

I am interested in seeing if C3 is popular and I do hope it helps people that can't use C2 like Mac and Unix users and will eventually have the exporters that many of the C2 users have asked for and I hope it is everything people are looking for.

It is just not what I want.

Well, C3 beta has only been out for a week so nothing has changed from my first impression really. I'm still very excited about the product and it runs really good for a just released beta version. I really like the whole direction Scirra is going with Construct 3 and it really feels just right for me.

To actually have a better second impression I want to test the full version at the end of the beta. I need to know how well the new features like the Scirra hosted app building service work etc. before I can say for 100% I'm subscribing. I'm also really excited about the possibility of the editor plugins.

I can see from the Bug fixing forum that Scirra team is working really hard to fix everything and I respect that! Fingers crossed that the bug fixing process goes well and we'll see a lot of progression in upcoming weeks.

> On the otherhand - if someone could explain how to change zoom level on Chrome android that'd be a help.

>

On desktop, there's a zoom option in the Chrome menu. On Android you can adjust the text size in accessibility settings, and in newer versions of Android you can scale the entire display in the OS too.

We've specifically designed the UI to scale with your text size and browser zoom level so this ought to be entirely configurable.

Yeah in the desktop website version the zoom thing works fine.

Got version 6 on my phone and tablet is 5, didn't find any options for OS zoom without rooting the devices. (changing dpi settings)

I had few days ago attempted the text size in accessibility settings, but it didn't change the box size etc (css?) But today loading it up, now r15, the layout is smaller along with the text, so perhaps a caching issue?

So cool, that works, setup mouse to have a go, all works alright until I try to "double click", or "hold click" on an item (like you do with touch to get the sub menu up), nothing happens?

Possible you can make mouse double click or hold click open the sub-menu? Otherwise its unusable as nothing more than scrolling and dragging items with a little more precision.

Thanks,

If you have a specific bug issue please report it in the bug section so it can be addressed and let's keep this thread to your impressions, uses planned for C3 and reasons to subscribe or not please.

If this works, well its a perfectly good reason to sub, at least for casual devving on the go. I think many might agree that the mobile version, although cute, isn't very practical.

Having tried it for a while the last week.

My second impression is that is runs pretty smooth for me and I love being able to play around in my break at work on a mac / without installing anything (company policy).

The beta is quite limited (for reasons), so I will try again during the Jam week with the full product and have that be the final decision.

However 50€ for the first year is a steal and I'm probably going to support them for the innovation itself.

We will see how it evolves and makes me go for a second and third year.

Having tried it for a while the last week.

My second impression is that is runs pretty smooth for me and I love being able to play around in my break at work on a mac / without installing anything (company policy).

The beta is quite limited (for reasons), so I will try again during the Jam week with the full product and have that be the final decision.

However 50€ for the first year is a steal and I'm probably going to support them for the innovation itself.

We will see how it evolves and makes me go for a second and third year.

Please tell us how you will be using C3 if you will be subscribing and if you are a serious game designer, small time game designer, hobbyist, educator or using the engine for some other purpose?

Also please tell us if you are a long time C2 user or new to game design or switching from some other engine to a Sciirra engine?

lamar You are wasting your breath, online services and subscriptions go hand-in-hand. This is the model Ashley chose for C3 and is impossible to change it without trowing years of work to trash.

While I don't have any particular problem with the fact that is browser-based (i'm not delighted either), I simply don't like subscriptions, so i moved away.

The good part is that there are a lot of other game engines

As for C3, is literally C2 in a browser IDE Seriously, it even has the C2 Splashscreen.

I'm curious how stuff like Selective Collision for Solids will be fixed in C3 since it was not possible in C2 runtime.

From here on C3 can only improve, and we didn't even get to see the first official release, so there is some hope left.

lamar You are wasting your breath, online services and subscriptions go hand-in-hand. This is the model Ashley chose for C3 and is impossible to change it without trowing years of work to trash.

While I don't have any particular problem with the fact that is browser-based (i'm not delighted either), I simply don't like subscriptions, so i moved away.

The good part is that there are a lot of other game engines

As for C3, is literally C2 in a browser IDE Seriously, it even has the C2 Splashscreen.

I'm curious how stuff like Selective Collision for Solids will be fixed in C3 since it was not possible in C2 runtime.

From here on C3 can only improve, and we didn't even get to see the first official release, so there is some hope left.

When subscribing I will use C3 just like i did C2 - for mobile games and desktop prototyping.

I'm by no means a "serious" game designer, i have a day job as a backend-developer and am happy with doing this in my spare time for fun, just like others do sports

But does that really matter? I think not. In the end I will pay the same dime like everyone else. I don't even see the real point in asking this. People will not make their decision based on who uses it, but on what they want to use.

I have been using Construct for a little over 3 years a lot due to its blazing fast workflow, but don't fear of using Unreal or Unity or GMS every now and then. Just whatever i'm up to when being in the game-making mood. I woudn't say i'm new to game design though, since i build up quite a big knowledge during these years and am coming from a strong developer background (10y+).

I havn't had time to play around with it much, so waiting to give my second opinion until I've tried the full version. Not the beta.

But considering what I've seen so far, I'm optimistic. Looks very promising and I'm curious to see what will come in the future.

Latest blog post covered a lot of stuff that sounds very promising, so I hope with a bit of time there will be even more fun stuff to play around with. I really hope they get the community support, so they can staff up, and provide more of those neat improvements, features, plugins, etc we've been missing in C2 even faster.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)