So What Is Your Second Impression of C3 And Will You Buy?

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Bleenx wrote:
Eat my shorts, Moot. I can post in any thread that you can. And if you wonder why I'm still "here," it's because I paid for the program I still use as a prototype tool, that's why. I have the freedom to say what I please and to reiterate the fact that people should learn to program and stop griping about the direction C3 is going as much as you have the right to repeat yourself verbatim.

Relax, I didn't say you had to "embrace it, or leave it." I would never say something like that...

Post away! Tell us more how we shouldn't discuss our concerns with C3.
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Bleenx wrote:I probably should have mentioned I was talking about an overall "you", not you personally. The "learn to program" part, however, still applies. There's always Fusion3 if you don't want to learn though.

I have my eyes on Fusion's 3 development blog and I am anxious too see if it will fill the gap between C2 and C3... However, F3 doesn't have an ETA yet and F2.5 doesn't hold a candle to C2's ease of use. I hope that F3 will be a good program!

newt wrote: I don't mean to be a negative Nancy all the time, but "wait for c3 runtime" on all the most voted features on the new requests platform doesn't make me feel great.

I didn't knew about this request platform, this is what I am talking about, waiting for run-time update (while renting the current 2.3 run-time) isn't a good marketing policy in my poor mind... This and the aforementioned desktop version feel like afterthoughts, just to please potentially unhappy C2 users. I am sure they had in mind to make C3 feature rich eventually, but the secession of events leading to C3's new run-time plans reveal were somewhat problematic.

And my God! Am I the only one that thinks that a TIMELINE should be on the top of the to-do list!!!??? :o :lol:
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 pm

@Bleenx , I don't think everyone can learn to program (hardcore syntax heavy with advance math, etc). Some people are more suited for specific thought processes and hampered by their preconditioned mental capacities. It takes a lot of time to reshape a brain that has been exercised all their life for other tasks outside of programming. So to suggest someone should just learn something is kind of inconsiderate. There's a reason why there are many specialization of work in the world and why people spend their whole life doing a specific thing. It's not easy to change.
Also, there are a lot of things a person learns simply through the process of making/developing games that aren't related at all to programming. I feel like construct is a great tool to use if you don't want to be burdened with heavy doses of syntax and abstractions that are difficult to visualize. Construct provides a more visual way to create a games, with color and texture- stuff that stimulates the mind differently than just a bunch of text.
So, Construct has a great thing going for itself, and I don't see why it cannot become a "serious" tool for game developers.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Moot wrote:Post away! Tell us more how we shouldn't discuss our concerns with C3.

Discuss your concerns all you want. After awhile, you'll realize you're talking to a brick wall and may start to wonder "haven't I read these concerns a hundred times already?" No amount of concern-having is going to change anything is all I'm saying. If that were the case, C3 would have come out with all the features that were asked for. It wasn't, and it might later. Maybe.

eli0s wrote:I have my eyes on Fusion's 3 development blog and I am anxious too see if it will fill the gap between C2 and C3... However, F3 doesn't have an ETA yet and F2.5 doesn't hold a candle to C2's ease of use. I hope that F3 will be a good program!

I've watched F3 for a while myself. It looks like a nice platform, and I agree. Even though I own F2.5, I rarely used it because C2 was much more user-friendly. It's not like I don't understand the draw to Construct. I bought it myself. I just invite you to look outside even more when you have concerns that may not be addressed and to not lock yourself in to a program just because it may have X, Y but you really really want Z.

And yes, Construct should definitely have a timeline.

Prominent wrote:@Bleenx , I don't think everyone can learn to program (hardcore syntax heavy with advance math, etc). Some people are more suited for specific thought processes and hampered by their preconditioned mental capacities. It takes a lot of time to reshape a brain that has been exercised all their life for other tasks outside of programming. So to suggest someone should just learn something is kind of inconsiderate. There's a reason why there are many specialization of work in the world and why people spend their whole life doing a specific thing. It's not easy to change.
Also, there are a lot of things a person learns simply through the process of making/developing games that aren't related at all to programming. I feel like construct is a great tool to use if you don't want to be burdened with heavy doses of syntax and abstractions that are difficult to visualize. Construct provides a more visual way to create a games, with color and texture- stuff that stimulates the mind differently than just a bunch of text.
So, Construct has a great thing going for itself, and I don't see why it cannot become a "serious" tool for game developers.

I get it. I'm not oblivious to that or anything. You're talking to a guy who took Math 2 as a freshman in high school, algebra 1-a my sophomore year, algebra 1-b my junior year, and I failed geometry my senior year because I hate math and didn't need the credit to graduate. I'm an artist. I've worked in 3D modeling and animation for 12 years. Game development was always my inner want. I got Construct 2 because I was scared to program and didn't think I could learn.

After awhile of watching hundreds of programming tutorials, you kind of just start remembering and applying what you learn. And if you don't know how to do something, there's someone on the internet that already figured it out and can help with the code. I just think learning to program helps no matter if you stick with Construct or not. It's definitely not a bad thing, and it'll only help you to develop as a game creator.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Bleenx wrote:Discuss your concerns all you want. After awhile, you'll realize you're talking to a brick wall and may start to wonder "haven't I read these concerns a hundred times already?" No amount of concern-having is going to change anything is all I'm saying. If that were the case, C3 would have come out with all the features that were asked for. It wasn't, and it might later. Maybe.

You might be right, but I'm an artist too, and brick walls are my canvas. I'm going to continue to paint.

(btw, I also use to work in greeting cards) :D
Last edited by Moot on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Moot wrote:
Bleenx wrote:Discuss your concerns all you want. After awhile, you'll realize you're talking to a brick wall and may start to wonder "haven't I read these concerns a hundred times already?" No amount of concern-having is going to change anything is all I'm saying. If that were the case, C3 would have come out with all the features that were asked for. It wasn't, and it might later. Maybe.

You might be right, but I'm an artist too, and brick walls are my canvas. I'm going to continue to paint.

Shine on, you crazy diamond. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:05 pm

For a licence holder of C2, the first year is half price. I think it is a very good deal knowing that the first year will be a kind of extended test phase.

Like me, just give it a try. I believe C3 will be a great game development tool.
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Bad Wolf wrote:For a licence holder of C2, the first year is half price. I think it is a very good deal knowing that the first year will be a kind of extended test phase.

Like me, just give it a try. I believe C3 will be a great game development tool.

Yes, I understand that, but why? Why tell your user base that had all those expectations about a new program "here is C2.3, rent it for an undetermined amount of time (the first year is only 50$), and eventually a desktop version (that will be able to save your files to disk) will come up, along with a brand new run-time, which in turn will probably bring new, exiting things to C3 (yet sometime later)!".

Why not announce C3 and start sales when the new run-time is ready, and spare the users the wait and see (while renting), I just can't understand this approach... :roll:
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:57 am

eli0s wrote:I wonder though, is this vague development road-map attractive for the professionals here? How can you plan your next project not knowing when and if the tool will carry its weight and what the technology will bring in the future? I've always felt like Construct was the tool for the days to come, not for the present, and this feeling is more evident nowadays, with the introduction of C2.3 (not C3 yet...)

No, it's not attractive even in the slightest at this point. It's 2 steps forward, a few hundred or so back. We'll see what the future holds, I'll be keeping my eye on C3, but as of now I wouldn't even consider a purchase/subscription, half price or not. It's nowhere near ready for prime time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:05 am

eli0s wrote:Yes, I understand that, but why? Why tell your user base that had all those expectations about a new program "here is C2.3, rent it for an undetermined amount of time (the first year is only 50$), and eventually a desktop version (that will be able to save your files to disk) will come up, along with a brand new run-time, which in turn will probably bring new, exiting things to C3 (yet sometime later)!".

Why not announce C3 and start sales when the new run-time is ready, and spare the users the wait and see (while renting), I just can't understand this approach... :roll:

I've wondered about all of this too. It seems pretty backwards. Subscriptions kind of kill off most hobbyists. In the end I just decided they've shifted markets and are going for the educational dollar, not the developer dollar. Unless the new runtime is a lot farther along than they've announced. In which case waiting to release anything may have been better instead of a half-measure that breaks everything, and then will break everything again when it's updated at some unknown future date, so that's probably not it. It certainly makes any kind of long-term development plans by users unrealistic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion