So What Is Your Second Impression of C3 And Will You Buy?

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Djfuzion wrote:My biggest frustration is the "Free" user limitations right now. I KNOW I can make stuff with the limitations but not what I want to test. I would literally start paying right now just so I can do some of the basic functionalities I need in it.

Heh, I feel exactly the same. Will likely buy it as soon as I can, just to tinker.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Hopefully no one starts a "third impression" thread, so just wanted to say that I just got a tablet, and it makes working with C3 on the go a lot better than my 5.5-inch phone. Phone editing is a bit impractical, but tablet editing is heck of a lot more manageable. Good job Construct/Scirra/Whatever you're calling yourself these days :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 pm

I have (probably always) been one of those nasty, strong advocats of native stuff, I was unhappy with NW.js, especially its mere zipping of assets (in particular since "the incident"), I have been very sceptical about the browser thing, even more about the cloud thing...

.. that said, against all odds, find myself dabbling with the beta on my linux workstation* at the office quite often. There is some benefit to this concept, this "one account and one software for everywhere". Unlike at the very beginning of the beta or the blog posts that preceded it, I'm starting to "feel it" now. And contrary to my initial brush-off reaction I'm going to do at least the first year.

* interestingly the website identifies this a "a mac" for whatever reason ;) (it's chromium on Arch linux)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:38 pm

I've been using Construct 2 for several years, I've done about 20 games, even I've made some money from licensing. I have also created more than 20 tutorials for beginners on youtube in Spanish.

Construct 3 is the small brother of C2, we still have to see the potential, so for the moment I will pay the first year, in appreciation of his career and to support them.

A year goes by fast, and Fusion 3 is falling, @Ashley and @Tom, I hope in a year you have convinced me not to change to Fusion :D
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:55 pm

I actually really like it and am excited to see the full capabilities and bugs fixed, and my only major complaint is the same as some others that it's a little hard to test with the current limitations.

Assuming my impression doesn't change after trying the full version in the one week jam, I'll almost certainly subscribe for at least one year, although probably not for an extra few weeks to some large expenses due at that time of year.

Not answering any of your other questions because I personally feel you should be discouraged from continuing to harp on and on about it. You've already said multiple times you don't want to subscribe and will probably move on. Maybe either move on or just wait quietly for whatever you're waiting for; you've made your views very clear, and surely I'm not the only one getting sick of how repetive you are.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 pm

For me it would be a complicated yes, no, and then yes again possibly.

Yes - Definitely taking the 50% off for the first year. I'd actually consider this paying back for the 5+ years I've enjoyed C2 and its updates as a hobbyist. Any other software would have gone through multiple full price iterations in the same time period *coughphotoshopcough* with similar progress in terms of functionality. Also a significant factor is how Scirra has handled community and communication - I would be inclined to pay to support their continued operation even as a donation. The overall responsiveness is #1 by far compared to any other developer, and I've worked with a LOT of under development (and developed) software. Besides which $100/year is honestly cheap compared to other expenses (for someone with a job anyways). It is still cheap compared to other productivity software. Would I have preferred a one off payment? Of course, more value for me. But I wouldn't go anywhere near saying the subscription pricing isn't fair.

No - There is nothing I am doing now that would require anything beyond what I have in C2 or C3 free. I'm not actively working on any big projects or publishing regularly, nor do I rely on any income from my projects. Currently I'm getting most of my use of Construct just lurking on the How Do I forums and making small examples, which should be adequately facilitated by C3 free/C2. I also test out specific mechanics I want to experiment with or small utility projects, but again everything can be done by what I have without subscribing.

Yes again possibly - When C3 gets a new runtime, I'd definitely be interested in checking it out. On the other hand, I imagine the new runtime would be available to C3 free as well, so the same as above applies for my situation anyway. At least it would be a definitive reason to upgrade from C2 to C3 for lot of other general users I think. The last situation would be where I have a income generating project I can devote myself to that could justify a subscription, but at that point C3 would be paying for itself.

I find it a bit confusing why people are so miffed regarding the subscription and perceived lack of significant capability changes from C2 to C3. Scirra isn't taking your C2 license away - you can keep using it. They aren't forcing you to subscribe to C3 if you can't afford it. Also regarding lack of change... did the mobile app build service just fly under the radar? Isn't that what tons of people have been clamoring for? All the complaining just makes me feel like this community is basically spoiled by the value gotten from C2 rather than appreciative.

Edit: Aaand he's gone. A little sad because he did make contributions to the forums, but then again not at all because he was totally asking for a ban. I guess he can still read the replies?
Mistakes were made.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Oh, missed that he finally got banned. Thank god, long overdue.

The dedication to allowing free speech was admirable, but his behavior was beyond ridiculous and I don't think anyone would have thought you were being heavy - handed banning him much earlier.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Was happy to be a bit more patient during the last few weeks because some people are upset with the large changes we're going through. Unfortunately now he's sent us a pretty nasty and threatening email and I'm having to spend a bit of time doing damage control on other forums he's trying to drag us through the mud on... all part of running an online business though! Fortunately this is a rare event :roll:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, we are ready absolutely everything being posted right now (good and bad) and we are taking it all into account.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 pm

NotionGames wrote:...ONLY concern was really exporting to consoles but according to their blog posts, they're looking into options for that....

@NotionGames Did you see the information posted yesterday about Xbox on the C3 site?

From the release notes for C3 r13:
Feature:
New Xbox Live plugin. This will allow integration with Xbox Live services and enable publishing Xbox One games. It is not currently usable during the public beta but is ready for when subscriber features are made available.

We are working on Xbox One publishing support for both Construct 2 and Construct 3! As Microsoft announced in March the new Xbox Live Creators Program allows tools like Construct to use their UWP export to publish to the Xbox One with Xbox Live services integration. As a small step towards enabling that in Construct 3, we are now shipping the Xbox Live plugin in the Construct 3 editor. Right now this move is mostly symbolic, since it's not available in the free edition which is what the public beta is currently limited to. However it's there ready for when subscriber features become available, including in the Newgrounds Gamejam in May. Yes, we will also be back-porting this plugin to Construct 2 as well! The next C2 update will also include it, but we are still super busy with more details of the C3 release (like preparing the SDK). We hope to get round to that soon!

Ill be grabbing C3, but in the short / medium term Ill still be using C2 so it's awesome that his Xbox plugin will be available for C2 as well. Im super excited about that. Im about to release my first game on Steam, and now it looks like shortly after Id be able to work on releasing to Xbox too! :P
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:10 am

Tom wrote:Was happy to be a bit more patient during the last few weeks because some people are upset with the large changes we're going through. Unfortunately now he's sent us a pretty nasty and threatening email and I'm having to spend a bit of time doing damage control on other forums he's trying to drag us through the mud on... all part of running an online business though! Fortunately this is a rare event :roll:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, we are ready absolutely everything being posted right now (good and bad) and we are taking it all into account.

I'll be happy to go do damage control for you. :D
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion