So What Is Your Second Impression of C3 And Will You Buy?

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:12 pm

tunepunk wrote:@Havok

I see you are on mac... Check out my thread how to do it on mac.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/pro-tip-open-c3-in-app-mode_t189550

Thanks, that worked like a charm :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Hoodloc wrote:Does this allow using multiple screens? My desktop app on Mac works fine but I can't pull windows out of the main window. :(

This is also a Mac issue, I'm trying to investigate if there's any other command line switch that will enable this. This doesn't seem to work when you run the regular browser version either, so it could be that the OS itself or the Chrome version for Mac doesn't support this yet.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:08 pm

@Hoodloc

The only thing I found so far is that you can go to System Preferences > Mission Control, and uncheck the box for "Displays Have seperate Spaces" That way you should be able to have A chrome window extend over to your second screen as well. I can't test it here, since I don't have a second screen.

Try it out and tell me if that works.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 pm

tunepunk wrote:@Hoodloc

The only thing I found so far is that you can go to System Preferences > Mission Control, and uncheck the box for "Displays Have seperate Spaces" That way you should be able to have A chrome window extend over to your second screen as well. I can't test it here, since I don't have a second screen.

Try it out and tell me if that works.

I'll post over in your thread so we don't go too far ot in this thread. :)

Okay, I somehow killed my post in your thread and am now unable to post it again. It doesn't appear for me but everytime I try to post it my post count goes up by one. Very strange.

So here's a short version of my post:
It enables you to stretch windows over multiple screens but unfortunately the result is very annoying to work with and only slightly usable if both screens have the same resolution. Even then you have a giant window stretching over multiple displays leading to enormous annoyances (like having to do minutes of undocking and reordering everything every time you start the app).
B
S

Post » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Bedroom developer here - I'm a hobbyist, but I'd like to try publishing something small, say,
for this year's end or so. I have no need for advanced features (raycasters, layered sprites etc.) , so
C2 "as is" suit perfectly my personal needs, and so is for C3 features.

My main thoughts on C3 (well, first impressions, but I missed the previous thread ;) )

PRO:
- New exporter "get rid of XDK"
- Some of the actual improvement (webfonts, new editors, bullet stepping...) and
the hope for great ones in the foreseeable future

The mobile interface is nice but I'm not interested in...

CONTRA:
- Web interface & C3-as-a-service, the thing I don't like at all (personal taste)
(but luckily we can work offline and maybe have a desktop .exe in the future)
- Subscription, of course (even if it is understandable IMHO)
- Above all: the continuing dependance on the good will of the plugin developers' for the
availability of 3rd party plugins (and they are absolutely essential, IMHO)

So I'll subscribe at least for the first year, for appreciation & support, to be able to use the new export (possibly for C2 projects if C3 lacks some plugin), and to test the "full" C3. We'll see.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:26 pm

NotionGames wrote:Yea I'm pretty sure at this point I'm on board as well.
With the history of c2s updates, I'm confident c3 will be completely different over time with all the updates.

ONLY concern was really exporting to consoles but according to their blog posts, they're looking into options for that.

subs aren't a concern for me especially if it ensures that the team is staying afloat to keep updating c3.

They're reworking the runtime and all. So, yea. Pretty happy with the future plans of it so far.

count me in

I read your concerns in the post that was then subsequently locked.
concerns-from-a-quot-serious-quot-developer_t189905?&hilit=Concerns+from+a+serious+developer

Do you feel that C3 aims to fix the issues you had with performance and porting?
I know Scirra is working to be able to port to UWP for XboxOne. Great imho!
The issues you described is also my number 1 concern tbh. Even though I'm not near publishing anything.
Great...you can port to all platforms, but not so great if the games won't run well.

Like @FraktalZero I looked at Unity + PlayMaker and did a few demos with it, top down 3D shooter, suedo FPS shooter and a 2d level with some running and jumping etc. It's good and obviously gives you 2D and 3D options but yeah, it takes a lot longer. So pro's and cons.

Fusion 3 stands out as the main competitor. Construct's event system and the community makes it a good place to make games with. It just feels better with a better UI etc.

@NotionGames Do you feel that this is realistic to do with C3 going forward. I would like to know what changed your mind back to staying since I'm evaluating it as well.
I wouldn't like to get where you were and then blocked by the engine.
I see The Next Penelope had similar issues, they decided to get it ported to C++.
I wonder how C3 will do on the Switch later if at all possible?

@Ashley, is this an ok question to ask you? Where do you see Construct 3 in terms of mobile and console performance, say, at the end of 2017?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Havok wrote:Where do you see Construct 3 in terms of mobile and console performance, say, at the end of 2017?

I think it's already very good. Only problem is having to use Crosswalk for Android 4.x, but that is fading away over time (and Crosswalk is already deprecated). Throughout 2017 it will only get better. Being able to forget about Crosswalk and only target Android 5.0+ will be nice.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:04 pm

For mobile I would totally say Construct is in overall the best one. But I'm targeting PC, and eventually consoles.
XBox One is great news but with my current project I'm targeting PS4 and Switch.
Construct 2 in the past (NW) gave me lots of issues. Obviously I'll be facing a lot of issues too with Unity.

At the moment I'm sticking with Construct 2, might buy Construct 3 but I'm on the side doing an Unity build as well.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. But for what I'm targetting so far Unity offers me more.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:55 am

I will pay a subscription from the moment Construct 3 gets out of beta stage and will become available.

I like what I see in the free beta edition and because of the poor internet in Botswana, was very concerned if the offline mode really works. It works greatly even with the internet off.

For me, Construct 2 and when it becomes available Construct 3 will be a great game development tool. Also it will make it safer with our daughter of 8 to use it, because is nothing to install, works right in the browser.
B
S

Post » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Ashley wrote:
Havok wrote:Where do you see Construct 3 in terms of mobile and console performance, say, at the end of 2017?

I think it's already very good. Only problem is having to use Crosswalk for Android 4.x, but that is fading away over time (and Crosswalk is already deprecated). Throughout 2017 it will only get better. Being able to forget about Crosswalk and only target Android 5.0+ will be nice.

@Ashley, will publishing to xbox one be a real thing still this year? Steam plugin still works or do we need to use third-party plugins? The only down side of construct is the lack of publishing support, with this problem solved construct would explode with awesome showcases. The support for mobile is already solved I guess with the new features, but what about PC and consoles?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion