So, when version 1.0 hits...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A simple Map Editor that where you can edit a map with restriction or totally. You can save and load the map created.
  • ...what kind of advertising can we expect?

We can probably all agree that its for the best that Construct continues to keep a low profile until the feature set is complete (or close) and stability is no longer a concern, so what happens on that fateful day?

Will Ashley rise from his throne of power and, with a crazed glint in his eyes, call for his noble underlings to march towards destiny?

(translation: give us permission to promote Construct on other sites)

Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess I'm mostly just interested in how a free, open-source program like this would go about getting itself known. I mean... you're not planning on spending money on ads, are you?

In any case it should be a good time for the gamemaking community. MMF2 and Gamemaker have been out for a long time now but by the time Construct is ready its possible that Enterbrain's "Action Game Maker" will be translated to english (I'm basing this on absolutely nothing... its just possible ), and even Stencyl might start its long-awaited (*cough*) closed-beta testing.

Who knows how good they will be... but in this case I can't see how more options could be a bad thing.

• ...what kind of advertising can we expect?

I don't know, heh. I have a few plans to get ourselves known, but step 1 is to reach 1.0! Just existing as a project and keeping it active brings in visitors, our download rate has been steadily increasing in the long-term, which I presume is from getting better known across the web, google ranking etc.

[quote:zioxg2ny]give us permission to promote Construct on other sites

You already can if you want! Who said I put limits on what anyone says about Construct??

[quote:zioxg2ny]you're not planning on spending money on ads, are you?

No - probably not, and if we did the money would come from donations, but I don't think that's a good use of donated money. For example, a few months ago we upgraded to a new version of the Prof-UIS library, which brought a lot of IDE bug fixes and new features like theming. That wasn't free - but was paid for entirely by donations.

[quote:zioxg2ny]In any case it should be a good time for the gamemaking community.

Definitely. It will be exciting to reach that point in the Construct project

• >

> [quote:2286hnji]give us permission to promote Construct on other sites

>

You already can if you want! Who said I put limits on what anyone says about Construct??

Well, no... you never did said that.

I just assumed there was some kind of unspoken agreement to wait until 1.0. I don't visit a lot of gaming sites but I thought it was kind of strange that even though many of those sites have threads for what "other" programs you use, I never see Construct mentioned.

Though, I'm not sure if we really want a flood of kiddies to suddenly arrive at the door, all screaming;

"OMG I can finaly make dat Mario/Metroid/Zelda/Megaman game I aways wanted! WOOT!!!"

• I don't mind if anyone mentions Construct now or not. Your call, go for it now or wait till 1.0, I don't feel I'm in a position to control what, where and when people talk about Construct. I don't think newbies are a bad thing; some of them will eventually become adept and useful contributors to the community.

• [quote:1hk6863h]give us permission to promote Construct on other sites

Yep, I've already done this, and the response from people has generally been "It looks interesting but I'll wait for 1.0." It has managed to pull in a few members though.

Dunno why Hideous hasn't posted here in a while, but I do know that he used Construct at a recent Swedish indie developer's event called "No More Sweden," at which Nifflas and Cactus were also present.

Really though, there needs to be some finished, polished, and most importantly fun games made with Construct to show off that it's a viable dev tool. That's going to do more good than any tech demo. And if I had an ounce more motivation I'd actually be able to stick to a project long enough to make something

Edit:

"OMG I can finaly make dat Mario/Metroid/Zelda/Megaman game I aways wanted! WOOT!!!"

I'm more worried about the "OMG I have an idea for the BEST RPG/MMO ever!" kids.

• Really though, there needs to be some finished, polished, and most importantly fun games made with Construct to show off that it's a viable dev tool. That's going to do more good than any tech demo.

Heh, I didn't really think about that. I'm used to seeing new caps of tech demos nearly every day but with so few actual "game" examples spreading the word at the moment I would probably get the same responses that you have.

I think that physics game in the "My Creations" section (where you have to get the ball to reach the target) is the most complete game that I've played for Construct so far. While its definately fun there are already several games with the exact same idea.

• I'm more worried about the "OMG I have an idea for the BEST RPG/MMO ever!" kids.

OMG I R HAB DIS IDEEA WER DIS ARE-PEE-GEE GAEM IS MAEK IN CONSTROCT BUT I DONO HOW2DOITRITE!!1! CAN SUM1 HALP MAEK GAEM FOR MEH PLOX???!

~Sol

• I'm more worried about the "OMG I have an idea for the BEST RPG/MMO ever!" kids.

Ow yeah when we hit 1.0 we will probably have online plugin, so they will want to make MMORPG. AND I HOPE THEY WONT BEG FOR "3D STUFF!" "MORE 3D SUPPORT!"

OMG I R HAB DIS IDEEA WER DIS ARE-PEE-GEE GAEM IS MAEK IN CONSTROCT BUT I DONO HOW2DOITRITE!!1! CAN SUM1 HALP MAEK GAEM FOR MEH PLOX???!

~Sol

Translation go as follows

Hey i think i have an extraordinary idea for a game on computer, it will be a Role Playing Game in short RPG which is made in Application Construct which is used to make another Applications (golly!), yet rather dissapointing i dont know how to accomplish that task yet. Help would be at most appreciated.

~SoldjahBoy

Now thats 1337 t4lk!

• I agree that the best way to promote construct is with games. If people play a couple of awesome games and see a little 'made with construct' logo in the credits they might be curious to see what it is. Then maybe write a 'make a 2d game' article and publish it in a PC magazine...an Australian magazine called PC User once ran a couple of issues showing people how to create a game in The Games Factory. But really I feel games would be most effective, and theres quite a lot of interesting games in development that I've seen appear around in the forum so I think we'll all be fine

• I found Construct because it was on a CD in PC Plus magazine, had a little note saying "Free DVD Game Making, 7 of the best full products for inspired game creation" on the cover. Its funny that it said "full products" because it had Construct in the "collection" (version 0.80). Also had some other unfinished programs that were free too, but they weren't great.

• I found Construct because it was on a CD in PC Plus magazine, had a little note saying "Free DVD Game Making, 7 of the best full products for inspired game creation" on the cover. Its funny that it said "full products" because it had Construct in the "collection" (version 0.80).

What? That's really weird.

Did anyone know they were actually doing this or did they just decide "eh, it's free we can do whatev?"

• I found Construct because it was on a CD in PC Plus magazine, had a little note saying "Free DVD Game Making, 7 of the best full products for inspired game creation" on the cover.

Really? Wow, I wish they'd put a recent build up, heh.

• Hahaha well played Doppel xD

Jayjay

Construct was on a magazine DVD?? Wow! That's kinda cool... but I bet they didn't link to the site or anything... and yeah, it is kinda weird that they would put "full version" on it since, well... yeah... no need to explain that here.

~Sol

• but I bet they didn't link to the site or anything... and yeah, it is kinda weird that they would put "full version" on it since, well... yeah... no need to explain that here.

That didn't matter because I think Construct already has a homepage button inside the program. =)

And I was wrong, just looked at the disc and it was version 0.90 (slightly more stable/new).

Incase anyone wants to find it, its Issue 267 (April 2008)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • And I was wrong, just looked at the disc and it was version 0.90 (slightly more stable/new).

Incase anyone wants to find it, its Issue 267 (April 2008)

I just realized exactly how old .80 would be... the first version I ever used was .83 and that was almost a year ago.

(Damn, it's almost been a year since I started using Construct and I still haven't made a finished game )

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)