[SOLVED] How do I stop an animation autostarting

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Ninja char for your game! Make your own Shinobi game with this art.
  • If I drop onto a new project a single image as a sprite, then add a second frame, when I run the project, it always shows the first then the second frame. As Im trying to simulate a button, I dont want it to animate at all - ever (I just switch between showing frame 0 and frame 1).

Any idea how to switch the auto-anmation off, so on load it only ever shows the initial frame (i.e frame 0)?

Thanks!

• Ok, found the solution.

The key is that when you open the image/animation/frame editor windows, you wont find the editable properties in there - they appear in the properties window of the main window underneath (I would never have found this). Anyway, now you have the animation properties, changing the repeat count to 0 and the speed to 0 stopped the animation (phew).

• Have you read this tutorial and followed the links provided to other tutorials in it ?

It's basically answering and showing you most of the tips and discoveries you've made by yourself so far.

You're not the first "pro" to come by the forums and overlook the documentation already available.

I'm aware you may not have the time tu fully complete the tuts, but you should really try and have a good look at them.

They will display a great deal of Construct 2's workflow and your experience as a coder will help you go through this process faster.

• Good advice Kyatric - RTFM. I'll check out that new-to tutorial in more detail. I must admit, if I had a paper copy of the manual, I would read it cover to cover before starting. I'd even pay for it!   I did the beginners tutorial, but couldnt find a follow on.

I am impressed with construct 2s brilliance in every area except for one vital flaw: I would propose that not having user defined events (ideally with parmeters) makes writing clear code (I mean the event sheets) without duplication difficult.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am impressed with construct 2s brilliance in every area except for one vital flaw: I would propose that not having user defined events (ideally with parmeters) makes writing clear code (I mean the event sheets) without duplication difficult.

I agree that it is missing some "Function" feature at the moment, having an action executing specific events and action at a given time.

But there are numerous ways to workaround this (groups that you activate/deactivate, picking of instances thanks to instance variables/boolean, finish state machine) which after a while become quite natural.

C2 is still in development anyway, and no doubt there will be a feature at some point allowing for every of that.

• Indeed!

Is there an existing thread for a user defined event discussion, with some of the preferred workarounds?   

user evens are much more elegant than functions/groups/importing event sheets (which is basically a GOTO) I would suggest.

Coming from an very heavily event oriented actionscript and MVC/Java backgroud, Im dying without them. Stupidly I spent a day looking for them, feeling sure they were there as they are so simple compared with some of the really difficult stuff C2 implements brilliantly (and with only two guys?)

• But there are numerous ways to workaround this (groups that you activate/deactivate,

Very sorry to be a pain, do you know of an example or tutorial to see how groups are used in this way? The manual page states they can be activated/deactivated, but I didnt see how that can be of use as a programming construct.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)