[SOLVED in R248] 8dir-plugin wall-collision BUG

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Problem Description

8dir-plugin, collision wall, animations problems

Attach a Capx

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwNG7 ... EdueFJEUk0

Description of Capx

Simple example file, a room with walls, a cube to move that changes color (animation) when it is "idle" or "walking".

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Run the project, use WASD or ARROW_KEYS to move the cube.
    • Move to a wall, and when Cube it stops moving, due to the solid collision of the wall, go back and forth, repeat what you want

Observed Result

You should notice a quick "flash" of the cube, it changes crazy color / animation,If you hold it against the wall.

Expected Result

The cube should not change "madly" animation

Affected Browsers

• NW.js: (YES)
    • Chrome: (YES)
    • Edge: (YES)
    • FireFox: (ND)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 10 Pro, 32bit

Construct 2 Version ID

Construct 2 R244 32 bit (i have tried Construct3 beta, and is also affected...)

• I have tried this.

I have put "Acceleration" to 10000 and then the problem is solved.

I think what happens here is that the sprite bounces a little against the wall and that's why it changes animation, the bounce causes those changes of animation.

• I have tried this.

I have put "Acceleration" to 10000 and then the problem is solved.

I think what happens here is that the sprite bounces a little against the wall and that's why it changes animation, the bounce causes those changes of animation.

False, I tried it and it does not work, the animation change is only much faster but if you use sprites instead of a color change you notice anyway.

Also increasing acceleration at those levels makes the collision with the wall not always perfect, sorry but your "solution" is useless from every point of view.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The mechanic you are expecting is not built into the plug, you have to create that logic in events such as is overlapping, else

Most official behaviors are designed like this so that you can customise your games to your liking without having to create events to override undesired mechanics.

• The mechanic you are expecting is not built into the plug, you have to create that logic in events such as is overlapping, else

Most official behaviors are designed like this so that you can customise your games to your liking without having to create events to override undesired mechanics.

I'm not a programmer, and I do not have the skills or the knowledge to do what you say (as long as it's really feasible);

I bought Construct 2 just because it advertised that it allowed to use simply/no programming required behavior like the 8dir, so I expect it to work as it should. Not with ROUGH ISSUES like this "mad animation collision".

So your speech does not make much sense. if I was a programmer I would not have bought a tool like "Construct 2" you think?

anyway.. If you go to program a capx to solve this, done as you say, I would gladly accept it.

• We have a "how do I" section, as well as other parts of the forum.

They're also useful for non programmers to find out if something is a bug.

This one is just for bugs.

• ...but this one is a bug.

Isn't it reasonable for an object to just stop when hitting a wall instead of switching between moving and stopping a bit before finally actually stopping?

• Not when the only logic is "key is down" (that would place a limitation on the behavior), and not with the black box behavior of solid.

I think it's the same with the platform behavior, the object gets pushed in the opposite angle because we don't have pixel perfect collisions.

The kicker is that it's next to impossible to replicate solid in events, as they are too slow, and you would wind up doing the push-out as well.

Of course you can solve the flash just by disabling user input on collision, but then you have to make more events to re enable it.

• ...but this one is a bug.

We have a "how do I" section, as well as other parts of the forum.

They're also useful for non programmers to find out if something is a bug.

This one is just for bugs.

"A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways."

so? isn't a bug?? THIS IS A BUG. It is inconceivable that such an important and basic behavior like the 8dir is affected by such incompatibility that it is impossible to assign animations to a sprite without becoming crazy at contact with a wall.

I do not have to go to ask how to do something that the program I paid should do automatically.

I've spent 70 € to have a simple program for people as simple as me, not coder or expert user, and i pretend that at least in the basics default plugins, it works with no rough issues like this that make the behavior USELESS!

And I am very surprised that no one has ever complained about the way it should be.

sorry my english.

I think it's the same with the platform behavior.

false. platform behavior ins't affected of this bug. they work perfectrly.

• Might as well hit the caps lock now, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

• Calm down boy. If that's the real bug then maybe some day some dev, not actually busy on C3 will fix it.

You know about C3, right? And you know you spend that 70 € literally on abandonware, yes ?

• Disabling player input isn't a good fix. The object will stop short of the wall and it becomes complex when to know to re-enable player input. No workaround should be needed.

It's not a waste to report this for C2 since C3 uses the same logic and can benefit from the fix as well.

• Well then the question isn't if it should stop exactly at the obstacle, but rather if "is moving" should be thrown when the player is constantly telling it to move every tick.

And just like re-enabling input, when to say it's moving again.

Perhaps additional conditions would be more appropriate, such as "is blocked by obstacle".

• It seems to me that here you are trying to hijack the problem like section "how do i", but this is not a topic to discuss how to do , this is a topic to report a bug on a 8dir behavior (which you like to admit it or not, but, in facts, a bug is).

So I look forward to seeing the developers and I trust that measures will be taken as soon as possible. Because, as has already been observed, the thing is serious and concerns as much as C2 as C3.

please stop smoking in the eyes and let us reason that the behavior is bugged and it needs to be revised.

Anyway, every comment will still serve to give more visibility to the problem, so "fatevobis"

• I agree.

I would like this to be resolved and remove that "bounce against the wall" behavior.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)