[Solved!!] Janking It ...it was my f.lux app

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
It's here!
$4.95 USD
Creepy and nasty horror track. It's terrifying from the beginning till the end. Goosebumps guaranteed
  • Hey out there. Look, I'm having janking problems with my sprite when trying to move it left and right. Sounds like a personal problem, I know. But here me out.

I stopped trying with my main game scene and thought I'd test it out with a simple scene. So here's what I do:

I create a new default scene, the first one in the list. I'm using the newest beta, r230 64-bit.

I create a tiled background. Apply a solid behavior, and make it be the ground.

I create a sprite 75x100. Apply a platform behavior, and leave everything as default.

I run the game and move my sprite forward.

Now, every couple seconds, the sprite janks, like it's lagging or something. Then it runs smoothly, then janks again. Does anyone have any idea why it would do this? Perhaps a driver issue? My com has 12gb of RAM, and i7 processor, and Nvidia GPU.. I wouldn't think it's that. I'm getting like 60fps when moving the sprite, yet I have this jank.

What gives? Am I doing it wrong here? Thanks ahead of time for anyone who may have an answer!

• Hey there,

I'm afraid your comp is just not powerful enough. Lol, just kidding.

Have you noticed any jank playing other html5 games? If so upgrade your browser to the latest chrome or Firefox.

• Thanks for the reply but I'm using nw.js, the newest version and updated browsers. It didn't seem to happen before when creating things until now. It does it no matter what I create. I'm losing ma miiinnd!!

• No worries.

Does it happen when you launch it in a browser instead? If not then you might be able to just use a slightly older version of NW.js. If you can I would also try and test it with another computer.

• Turn off pixel rounding if you are trying to make a pixel platformer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've tried in a browser and it's the same thing. It did the jank in old nw.js too right before I updated it. Also, it's a sprite png of a 3d model I rendered, so it's not pixel. I may have to reformat this computer or something because I don't remember seeing this odd stutter when I first installed c2 months ago.

• Are the built-in examples also causing this janking?

Can you provide a simple .capx that janks for you so we can test it?

• Are the built-in examples also causing this janking?

Can you provide a simple .capx that janks for you so we can test it?

The platformer template didn't seem to jank at first I guess.. it's hard to tell. It kinda does when you first move it. I put a sprite in place of the default square sprite in the template and it janks every two seconds or something like that. I uploaded it for you to see. If it doesn't jank or stutter or whatever you call it every couple seconds when moving left and right, then it's on my end.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxVOSl ... sp=sharing

• Steady at 8.3 ms/frame.

• I'm getting between 52 and 58 fps at around 17 ms/frame, sometimes dipping to 40fps when moving the character left and right. Using NW.JS and Firefox in debug to test.

• The debug mode will eat performance. It's not exactly representative of the final performance.

I tested it without debug, runs perfectly jank free (latest chromium, nvidia graphics).

Have you tested it with the debug mode? And if so: What are your PC-specs?

• The debug mode will eat performance. It's not exactly representative of the final performance.

I tested it without debug, runs perfectly jank free (latest chromium, nvidia graphics).

Have you tested it with the debug mode? And if so: What are your PC-specs?

I get jank in regular play mode and debug mode. My com has 12gb of RAM, an i7 processor, and Nvidia GPU. No browsers running in the background.. in fact, just regular start-up stuff running while using c2. I have the latest nvidia graphics driver, plus the newest nw.js, but that doesn't seem to matter since it happens in Firefox and Chrome too. There has to be a reason. No one sees the character kinda stutter every couple seconds while going across the platform? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

• I can only send you to a direction, not solve your problem.

Look at this video ...

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Click on the program settings tab, find chrome, and make it use optimal settings.

Try chrome with and without hardware accelleration. (chrome settings)

Check the energy saving modus of you computer, set it to performance.

• I can only send you to a direction, not solve your problem.

Look at this video ...

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Click on the program settings tab, find chrome, and make it use optimal settings.

Try chrome with and without hardware accelleration. (chrome settings)

Check the energy saving modus of you computer, set it to performance.

I wish I could say that all helped but it's the same stutter every couple seconds no matter which preview display I use and no matter if it's fullscreen or windowed. Maybe I should reset my computer. I just don't remember this stuff happening before.. but maybe it did and I didn't think about it.

• I fixed it! It was the f.lux app running in the background causing the stutter. I never noticed the stutter before because I didn't install f.lux until recently. That's why this jank appeared out of nowhere! Thanks for all the help guys.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)