Some pre-purchase questions

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
You think you can guess the character’s name?! Then let’s see how smart you are!
  • Hi!

I've been playing around with C2 today, I kinda like its simplicity, I tried Torque Game Builder which seemed very powerful but the UI is a big let down and does not reflect its power at all. So I went back on this website and started looking a bit deeper.

I really love the community and the StackOverflow-alike forums. The app seems very nice and easy to use. In real life I'm a software developer (c#, vb, .net, etc) so I'm kind of used to technicalities and C2 seems to be another way of doing things simply and in a good way.

I got questions before throwing the bucks though:

1) To the current users: How flexible is the engine? I mean is it possible to make RPGs? Dynamic dialogs (questions with multiple answers etc), is there any possiblity of scripting stuff?

2) I know that it makes HTML5 games, but is it possible to export them as an executable file? If not, then I could make a simple HTML embedding executable in C# so I don't think it's a big problem for me yet.

3) Is there any way of using C2 with, let's say, Tiled (tileset editor) ? I have a lots of sprites which I can't seem to find a way of using in C2, I import them but the whole tileset is imported and I can't select only 1 character from the sheet (I must open it in photoshop then crop the image, etc)

4) As a last request I'd like people to tell me why I should chose C2? (Features that you like, etc)

Also if you could point me to a good place to get sidescrolling game level backgrounds (tiles) I'd be very grateful!

Thanks a lot for this and I hope to get to learn C2 perfectly :D

• Tom
  • 1) Extremely flexible. You can make basically any 2d game that's ever been made with it (though there are are some features that have yet to be implemented). In construct classic, someone even made a 3D engine entirely with events (C2 doesn't have sprite distortion yet, though)! I'm making an RPG with construct classic, and there's only like two features left missing that are really necessary to make one in C2, and one of them is being worked on for the next release, with probably the other after (families and functions). No scripting, though. C2 doesn't really need it.

2) Not directly from the program, but as you mentioned, there are methods of making an HTML5 exe wrapper.

3) Not currently, but you might be able to use the plugin SDK to write a plugin that will. If you did, and released it to the community, you'd make a lot of people happy, as some people have been wanting that a lot.

4) It speeds up development, you don't have to fight with it to make it do what you want, it has a plugin SDK so if there's anything you want it to do that it currently can't, you can write your own plugin, it has a flexible exporter system that will have an SDK later, enabling you to write your own exporters so you could theoretically put games on everything from a PC to your internet-connected toaster oven, and most importantly - it's a frikkin' joy to use and, in my opinion at least, even more fun than playing games.

• If you don't like it you can pay 500 dollars a year to use game salad ;)

Construct 2 is totally worth it

• Hi, welcome to the forums!

1) To the current users: How flexible is the engine?

We're designing Construct 2 to be suitable for any kind of 2D game.

s there any possiblity of scripting stuff?

Not directly, but you could try using the SDK.

) I know that it makes HTML5 games, but is it possible to export them as an executable file?

There's no official means to do this yet, but as you say, there are some tools/libraries around that just embed a browser window in to an EXE window. I still don't get why people want to do this though? Why not just let your game play in a browser rather than limiting it to the Windows platform and making the user go through a bunch of security warnings?

) Is there any way of using C2 with, let's say, Tiled (tileset editor) ?

Try using 'import sprite strip' in the animation frames bar to import grids of sprites as animation frames. Set the animation speed to 0 then you can use the sprite's 'initial frame' property to choose a tile. Enable snapping to grid in the View ribbon tab and use Tiled Backgrounds for large areas of repeated tiles. Yeah, it's not as easy as it could be, but it's something (of many things) to improve on our todo list.

) As a last request I'd like people to tell me why I should chose C2?

Well, if you ask me, I think it's simply the best game editor on the market! :)

• 1) Extremely flexible. You can make basically any 2d game that's ever been made with it (though there are are some features that have yet to be implemented). In construct classic, someone even made a 3D engine entirely with events (C2 doesn't have sprite distortion yet, though)! I'm making an RPG with construct classic, and there's only like two features left missing that are really necessary to make one in C2, and one of them is being worked on for the next release, with probably the other after (families and functions). No scripting, though. C2 doesn't really need it.

2) Not directly from the program, but as you mentioned, there are methods of making an HTML5 exe wrapper.

3) Not currently, but you might be able to use the plugin SDK to write a plugin that will. If you did, and released it to the community, you'd make a lot of people happy, as some people have been wanting that a lot.

4) It speeds up development, you don't have to fight with it to make it do what you want, it has a plugin SDK so if there's anything you want it to do that it currently can't, you can write your own plugin, it has a flexible exporter system that will have an SDK later, enabling you to write your own exporters so you could theoretically put games on everything from a PC to your internet-connected toaster oven, and most importantly - it's a frikkin' joy to use and, in my opinion at least, even more fun than playing games.

Thanks for this awesome reply, it is VERY appreciated.

Here's another question:

Should I begin using Construct Classic before using Construct2? Are they two different apps to pay for?

I'm getting very excited about Construct and I really think I'll buy it hehe, I'll play a bit with the demo before though but so far, the tools, guides and the community are a big plus for me as I ask a lots of question and I tend to do a lots of complex stuff for unknown reasons haha.

Thanks again!

• Hi, welcome to the forums!

> 1) To the current users: How flexible is the engine?

We're designing Construct 2 to be suitable for any kind of 2D game.

s there any possiblity of scripting stuff?

Not directly, but you could try using the SDK.

) I know that it makes HTML5 games, but is it possible to export them as an executable file?

There's no official means to do this yet, but as you say, there are some tools/libraries around that just embed a browser window in to an EXE window. I still don't get why people want to do this though? Why not just let your game play in a browser rather than limiting it to the Windows platform and making the user go through a bunch of security warnings?

) Is there any way of using C2 with, let's say, Tiled (tileset editor) ?

Try using 'import sprite strip' in the animation frames bar to import grids of sprites as animation frames. Set the animation speed to 0 then you can use the sprite's 'initial frame' property to choose a tile. Enable snapping to grid in the View ribbon tab and use Tiled Backgrounds for large areas of repeated tiles. Yeah, it's not as easy as it could be, but it's something (of many things) to improve on our todo list.

) As a last request I'd like people to tell me why I should chose C2?

Well, if you ask me, I think it's simply the best game editor on the market! :)

Thanks for your prompt response!

I'll check the SDK out, I forgot about the web aspect of the engine, I'm already very used to javascript programming so I really think I could make some great plugins hehe :D (Before doing software development I did 5 years of web/javascript development)

For my second question, it was just for let's say I'd like to publish my game on Steam? Or somewhere else? I don't think I could publish my game in a web version of it. And I think I could extend the possibilities by making a custom container that'd add functionality to the game (I don't have any ideas yet but it's just a thought hehe). And also, simply for making a simple-to-use offline version with an installer and a desktop icon :P

About the third question: Thanks for the tip, I'll try this out!!!

EDIT: Noob time: Where is this animation frames bar window?! I saw it in the page you linked.

"Right click a space to add a new animation [...]"

I can't seem to find it that...

Thanks again for the answer!

• Well construct classic and c2 are for different purposes IMO. CC is free, which is a nice advantage, and it has way more objects and behaviors, AND it runs faster and more efficiently. The cons are:

1: the interface, while similar, is just sightly more inelegant.

2: No box2d for physics -- as far as I can tell? -- so if you are interested in taking advantage of that, you'll have to integrate it yourself. That being said, you sound capable of doing so if need be.

3: Finally -- and by far most importantly -- CC games are direct-X, so they are, unfortunately, windows only, wheras C2 games can run on a myriad of platforms, including Windows and Mac, iOS products, android, and anything else that supports HTML five.

Basically, if you just want to make a showcase for your talent, and aren't worried bout restricting your audience somewhat, CC might be a better bet. If you want to distribute as widely as possible though -- and maybe even make some bucks off your work -- C2 is the way to go, as you can hit many, many more platforms. Now, if someone ever makes a CC exporter that allows it to run on iOS somehow...well, then the gap narrows, but until then C2 is where it's at. Also, I'm sure that, eventually, C2 will have most -- if not all and more -- of the features of CC.

Anyway, that's my two centavos.

Cheers,

Tiam

• Well, if you ask me, I think it's simply the best game editor on the market! :)

It is the best game editor on the market

• Well construct classic and c2 are for different purposes IMO. CC is free, which is a nice advantage, and it has way more objects and behaviors, AND it runs faster and more efficiently. The cons are:

1: the interface, while similar, is just sightly more inelegant.

2: No box2d for physics -- as far as I can tell? -- so if you are interested in taking advantage of that, you'll have to integrate it yourself. That being said, you sound capable of doing so if need be.

3: Finally -- and by far most importantly -- CC games are direct-X, so they are, unfortunately, windows only, wheras C2 games can run on a myriad of platforms, including Windows and Mac, iOS products, android, and anything else that supports HTML five.

Basically, if you just want to make a showcase for your talent, and aren't worried bout restricting your audience somewhat, CC might be a better bet. If you want to distribute as widely as possible though -- and maybe even make some bucks off your work -- C2 is the way to go, as you can hit many, many more platforms. Now, if someone ever makes a CC exporter that allows it to run on iOS somehow...well, then the gap narrows, but until then C2 is where it's at. Also, I'm sure that, eventually, C2 will have most -- if not all and more -- of the features of CC.

Anyway, that's my two centavos.

Cheers,

Tiam

Thanks for this reply, I might try Construct Classic, just for trying it out to see what it is capable of.

I don't really care for multi-platform support right now as it's just to try to introduce me back into the indie game creation process hehe :P

Thanks for the answer!

edit: I've just started CC and a question popped inside my head : You can make windows apps with it? Not only games? CC seems to be ridiculously more advanced than C2. Is there any CC guides still up? Thanks

• This tutorial should light the first steps of your way.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This tutorial should light the first steps of your way.

Thanks for this! It is very appreciated!

I'm starting to get some of the basics. I'm doing a platformer with an 8direction sprite. I can't seem to find how to put a limit on where the character CAN walk and CANNOT walk hehe!

Also, when my character moves, I don't know how to assign sprites of "backward movement, diagonal, etc"...

Also a new question: Is there any support for CC to C2 project conversion?

Thanks!

• Even though CC is free, I would recommend sticking with C2. Having made a large game with CC myself, there are a few issues and quirks with it that make C2 a much, much better choice.

First of all, C2 is more actively developed. C2 has averaged a new version each week. There's currently more functionality to CC, but keep in mind C2 hasn't even been in development for a year yet, and look it where it's at!

CC tends to have some really weird issues that aren't showstoppers, but are annoying.

CC saves in binary - meaning I can't open the file in anything else to find out what's wrong for bugs like I can with C2.

C2 saves in a proper folder structure, making it much easier to collaborate with people. In CC, it's basically impossible to have multiple programmers work on one project other than literally taking turns.

CC is locked to windows EXE and often requires users to update directx 9.

C2's IDE is far faster, smoother, and more stable to work with.

You can't paste objects or code between projects in CC. Even if you try it and it seems to work, it's an unfinished feature and seriously messes up .caps.

And especially for like large projects like RPGs - CC is not designed well for making a reusable framework. If I want to make a sequel to my game, I'm going to have to recode it from scratch.

Seriously. C2.

P.S. You can make apps, but they are very limited - no sprites or such. And CC .caps are not compatible with C2.

• Even though CC is free, I would recommend sticking with C2. Having made a large game with CC myself, there are a few issues and quirks with it that make C2 a much, much better choice.

First of all, C2 is more actively developed. C2 has averaged a new version each week. There's currently more functionality to CC, but keep in mind C2 hasn't even been in development for a year yet, and look it where it's at!

CC tends to have some really weird issues that aren't showstoppers, but are annoying.

CC saves in binary - meaning I can't open the file in anything else to find out what's wrong for bugs like I can with C2.

C2 saves in a proper folder structure, making it much easier to collaborate with people. In CC, it's basically impossible to have multiple programmers work on one project other than literally taking turns.

CC is locked to windows EXE and often requires users to update directx 9.

C2's IDE is far faster, smoother, and more stable to work with.

You can't paste objects or code between projects in CC. Even if you try it and it seems to work, it's an unfinished feature and seriously messes up .caps.

And especially for like large projects like RPGs - CC is not designed well for making a reusable framework. If I want to make a sequel to my game, I'm going to have to recode it from scratch.

Seriously. C2.

P.S. You can make apps, but they are very limited - no sprites or such. And CC .caps are not compatible with C2.

Thanks again for another great response!

The active development is why I'm looking way towards C2 than CC obviously. I HATE to use outdated tools, but I was just looking around to see what Scirra is capable of hehe :P

I'm starting a very little platformer with C2 right now!

I was wondering, is it possible to sell our games for money, or we are obliged to publish the games for free? Do we have to pay any loyalty towards Scirra about that? (Outside buying a Business license if our games sell a lot :P)

• You can't sell games with the free version, you need a regular license for that, and a business license if you make more than $5,000 with it. There are no royalties required.

• Okay that's what I thought. Great!

I'm starting to get better with it! It's super-awesome hehe!

I'm looking for an app to split my sprites sheet for characters animations... If anyone knows a good one, please! :P

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)