Some pre-purchase questions

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:44 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] This tutorial should light the first steps of your way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this! It is very appreciated!

I'm starting to get some of the basics. I'm doing a platformer with an 8direction sprite. I can't seem to find how to put a limit on where the character CAN walk and CANNOT walk hehe!

Also, when my character moves, I don't know how to assign sprites of "backward movement, diagonal, etc"...

Also a new question: Is there any support for CC to C2 project conversion?

Thanks!tomshreds2011-12-04 20:45:45
B
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Even though CC is free, I would recommend sticking with C2. Having made a large game with CC myself, there are a few issues and quirks with it that make C2 a much, much better choice.

First of all, C2 is more actively developed. C2 has averaged a new version each week. There's currently more functionality to CC, but keep in mind C2 hasn't even been in development for a year yet, and look it where it's at!

CC tends to have some really weird issues that aren't showstoppers, but are annoying.

CC saves in binary - meaning I can't open the file in anything else to find out what's wrong for bugs like I can with C2.

C2 saves in a proper folder structure, making it much easier to collaborate with people. In CC, it's basically impossible to have multiple programmers work on one project other than literally taking turns.

CC is locked to windows EXE and often requires users to update directx 9.

C2's IDE is far faster, smoother, and more stable to work with.

You can't paste objects or code between projects in CC. Even if you try it and it seems to work, it's an unfinished feature and seriously messes up .caps.

And especially for like large projects like RPGs - CC is not designed well for making a reusable framework. If I want to make a sequel to my game, I'm going to have to recode it from scratch.

Seriously. C2.

P.S. You can make apps, but they are very limited - no sprites or such. And CC .caps are not compatible with C2.Arima2011-12-04 20:47:13
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:21 pm

[QUOTE=Arima] Even though CC is free, I would recommend sticking with C2. Having made a large game with CC myself, there are a few issues and quirks with it that make C2 a much, much better choice.

First of all, C2 is more actively developed. C2 has averaged a new version each week. There's currently more functionality to CC, but keep in mind C2 hasn't even been in development for a year yet, and look it where it's at!

CC tends to have some really weird issues that aren't showstoppers, but are annoying.

CC saves in binary - meaning I can't open the file in anything else to find out what's wrong for bugs like I can with C2.

C2 saves in a proper folder structure, making it much easier to collaborate with people. In CC, it's basically impossible to have multiple programmers work on one project other than literally taking turns.

CC is locked to windows EXE and often requires users to update directx 9.

C2's IDE is far faster, smoother, and more stable to work with.

You can't paste objects or code between projects in CC. Even if you try it and it seems to work, it's an unfinished feature and seriously messes up .caps.

And especially for like large projects like RPGs - CC is not designed well for making a reusable framework. If I want to make a sequel to my game, I'm going to have to recode it from scratch.

Seriously. C2.

P.S. You can make apps, but they are very limited - no sprites or such. And CC .caps are not compatible with C2.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for another great response!

The active development is why I'm looking way towards C2 than CC obviously. I HATE to use outdated tools, but I was just looking around to see what Scirra is capable of hehe :P

I'm starting a very little platformer with C2 right now!

I was wondering, is it possible to sell our games for money, or we are obliged to publish the games for free? Do we have to pay any loyalty towards Scirra about that? (Outside buying a Business license if our games sell a lot :P)
B
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:31 pm

You can't sell games with the free version, you need a regular license for that, and a business license if you make more than $5,000 with it. There are no royalties required.Arima2011-12-04 21:31:57
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Okay that's what I thought. Great!

I'm starting to get better with it! It's super-awesome hehe!

I'm looking for an app to split my sprites sheet for characters animations... If anyone knows a good one, please! :P
B
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Have you tried 'Import sprite strip' for importing sprite sheets? The Animations Bar is the one floating at the bottom of the animations editor (double click a sprite to open the animations editor). Right click in that bar to find the option.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:04 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] Have you tried 'Import sprite strip' for importing sprite sheets? The Animations Bar is the one floating at the bottom of the animations editor (double click a sprite to open the animations editor). Right click in that bar to find the option.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply.

FORGET THIS PART: Yes I did but the problem is that my sprites are in the form of sheets (all animations frame are on the SAME image...) So that is why I'd have to have something to split them up before importing them inside the animation editor.

WOW IT WORKS! IT IS SUPER AWESOME! THANKS!

Also: I can't seem to find a way of switching animations when my character moves, like when I press UP I want the animation where we see my character from the back starts. I found in the FAQ a thread that explains it a bit, but there's still pieces missing hehe.

Thanks!tomshreds2011-12-04 22:06:35
B
G

Post » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks tomshreds for this thread. Between your questions and the many replies, I'm sold.

The enthusiasm and helpfulness of the community are just as important to me as the quality of the development environment itself. From what little I've seen so far, Construct 2 has both in spades.

I'll be buying a license this evening when I get home from work.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:44 pm

@leaston,

welcome.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Thanks harrio
B