Some thoughts

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • I've been thinking about features for C2 and I figured I'd make a thread about it.

Tile-specific positioning system.

I brought this idea up for discussion earlier in a thread. Would a positioning system for tiles have any merit? I'm thinking rows and columns a la Excel. I think, if done right, it could help those making games based on grids a great deal (including platform games using bitwise terrain), since you could find a specific tile instead of jumping through hoops with the standard X, Y system. But I'm wondering if it's a worthwile idea.

Better parallax control.

After I finished writing a bit about parallax controls I checked (just to be sure) and saw that C2 does in fact allow you to show the parallax in editor-time. It's nice, but it's not terribly usefull when you want to place a parallax element to appear at a specific place.

Being able to change scroll rate during runtime would probably be a good idea.

Controller support in browsers.

We don't have controller support yet, but I think it's pretty fair to say that we'll get to that eventually. However, what is the likelyhood of controller support for browsers?

From what I can gather browsers tend to not support things other than mouse and keyboard, seemingly for security reasons. I'm no expert so I'm wondering, is controller support for browser based games a no-go, or is it possible?

I personally have no problems using joy2key, xpadder or similar apps to get controller support for games, but as a developer I'd be insane to assume that a consumer would go to that length to play my game with a controller.

• After I finished writing a bit about parallax controls I checked (just to be sure) and saw that C2 does in fact allow you to show the parallax in editor-time. It's nice, but it's not terribly usefull when you want to place a parallax element to appear at a specific place.

That's what it's for though... how come it's not terribly useful for that? Does it not line up with the runtime?

b]Controller support in browsers.

I don't think any browsers currently support controllers, but I believe it's being worked on in the HTML5 spec.

• That's what it's for though... how come it's not terribly useful for that? Does it not line up with the runtime?

I realize that that is what it is for, the thing is you don't really have a frame of reference when you activate that feature (unless I'm really missing something). Essentially, it's difficult to tell if it's lining up with the runtime properly or not.

A way to 'fix' it would be to have a viewport mode of sorts, that gives you a rectangle (depending on your games dimensions of course) and make it so that what is in that rectangle is what you would see during runtime.

I don't think any browsers currently support controllers, but I believe it's being worked on in the HTML5 spec.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope then ^^

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just thought of another limitation of parallax in its current state (making a new post because the page keeps crashing when I try to edit my post, dunno if it's because of chrome or the site itself).

I think it would be a good addition to be able to designate an origin for the parallax. If I make a layout and want the player(s) to start out in the middle, the parallax will originate from the top left, when I would want it to originate from the middle of the layout.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)