Something for mobile devs to ponder about..

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 am

Ethan wrote:I think secretly Google doesn't care about Piracy in the same way as Apple doesn't care about jailbreak because they know apps help sell mobiles, or devices on which their os operates. Hardware wise iPhone and Android phones are pretty even now so platform content is important.

That would make sense if Apple or Google didn't take a 30% cut in all transactions on their platforms.

In fact, app sales, IAPs & app advertisement are the major source of revenue for both companies. When the mobile app market is ~60B per year, 30% is a large chunk.

Piracy hurts google directly. It hurts Apple less because devs make more money on iOS, in turns, Apple makes more money.
Last edited by Silverforce on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:34 am

tumira wrote:@Silverforce
Mind share the difference you got between IOS and Android revenue ?

So far its 75/25 but that includes a few games which I never launched on iOS, so realistically its around 90/10.

iOS is where the money is for mobile devs. Android is a joke.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:42 am

spacedoubt wrote:
Ethan wrote:I think secretly Google doesn't care about Piracy in the same way as Apple doesn't care about jailbreak because they know apps help sell mobiles, or devices on which their os operates. Hardware wise iPhone and Android phones are pretty even now so platform content is important.

That's a good point. "Buy this device, it plays apps.. for 'FREE'!" is obviously a better selling point than "Buy this device, and then buy more stuff to use with it!"

I hear that comment a lot from Android users, they went with Android so they can watch tv shows or movies downloaded from the net, rather than pay via iTunes. Same for games.

Its a selling point of Android but it will be a sell out as piracy becomes rampant, IAP hacks become the norm and nearly everyone install AdBlockers. Devs will see how little they earn and unless porting is dirt cheap for them, they won't release games for Android, it'll be iOS exclusive.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:10 am

I agree. Android users don't seem to expect or wish to pay for apps, whereas Apple users are quite happy for fork out less than the price of a coffee on an app. Android development holds no interest for me because of this - I probably sell 30x more of my apps on iOS than I do on android.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas