Now, for a while, I've kinda been waiting on Damizean to finish the Construct version of his Sonic engine, despite him saying that the only thing that needs to be finished is the actions. It's the base engine for Sonic Worlds
. I myself had already made some minor changes to allow a mode for more traditional platforming physics except with rotations.
So, I had a thought. Why not just finish it? Unfortunately, I had realised that I don't use MMF2, and don't intend to, so I was left clueless on how to implement what's needed. So, I came up with another idea, ask for help in the Construct community.
But then I realised that the base engine was nearly finished - why not put a bit more effort and fuctionality into it while we're at it? So, I came up with this idea. Create a Construct version of Sonic Worlds, a showcase of what Construct is capable of in the right hands, and an alternative platform engine that does things that the regular platform behavior simply cannot - this engine doesn't have to be for just Sonic games!
SO, I've decided to start up a collaborative project to convert the entire Sonic Worlds engine as-is to Construct, and go beyond it in functionality, whether it be incorporating stuff for Sonic fan-games or other types of platformer games, or even improving what's already there! Whoever wants to pitch in, feel free!
- Movement, rotations, etc, the core stuff.
- Two movement 'modes' - Sonic-style and normal-style. Normal-style is basically emulating the physics of normal platform games, except with rotation and stuff, you know, for characters who aren't Sonic, or at least who don't move nearly as fast.
CURRENT COMPLETION GOALS:
- Fixing directions - DONE
- Basic/Common Actions - DONE
- Sonic Actions
- Tails Actions
- A lot more documentation. Seriously.
After we've finished those, we'll then focus on converting the rest of Sonic Worlds - converting MMF logic to Construct's events.
- Guys who are awesome with Construct in general
- Guys who also use MMF2, so we can convert this stuff over
- Anyone who can help on the project, in any way they can, whether it be suggestions or testing, or whatever!
- Damizean, if you're reading this, your help would be wonderful.
LINKS:Sonic Worlds at SFGHQ Forums, with MMF build download linksCurrent .cap of the Construct version of Damizean's engineMy version of the above cap, with two alternative 'skins' (I'll add Sonic back later) and the addition of normal-mode, switched on by default.
(To change modes, just change the "SonicStyle" variable, 1 for Sonic-Style, 0 for normal). -Without Sounds-Same .cap, with sound files.
Though there's not really much documentation at the moment, if any, but it should be easy to figure things out as they are through variable names and the events.