Sonic Construct Worlds - SAGE 2010 Edition

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:30 am

Dunno how I ended up posting in the wrong section...

Sonic Construct Worlds SAGE 2010 Booth

As one of my two showings at SAGE, I have my newest version of Sonic Construct Worlds - more condensed and functional than ever! And it comes with two levels - the basic test level, and the Clock Tower, a Castlevania-based level that has Sonic run in, and run out, while dodging enemies and Death along the way.

Current Features:

* On Step movement, and automatic velocity angle change. I couldn't have done it without Davo's additions!
* Sonic 2-level movement functionality.
* Loops and stuff!
* Platforms!
* Rings!
* And did I mention it's open source?

Basically, the whole engine is open for people to get into and improve. I intend to iron out all the bugs, tighten up the momentum stuff, and all that jazz.

So, enjoy!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Wow. A fantastic learning resource for anyone wanting do do fast, platform action. Many thanks and well done. :D
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:44 am

Very cool! I'm sure this will be a huge help as an example on several things. Thanks for releasing all of your hard work to help out the community :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Sorry for bumping this. I just want to say that this is just totally awesome. It's really working very good.

Though there are some glitches with the ramps. Sometimes Sonic doesn't want to spindash or move even if he's only standing.

Just to ask, are there any progresses made? I look forward to see more improvements with this. :mrgreen:
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:30 am

New update to the engine. Not much, but it's something, at least.

Changes:
* Tweaked the "fall off slope" mechanics and implemented rolling momentum... Somewhat. It works, but not very well. Clearly, I'm gonna have to figure out something else, because the Sonic Physics Guide way of slope friction isn't working.
* Implemented five monitors - 10 Ring, Normal Shield, Fire Shield, Magnetic Shield, and Bubble Shield. The shields are also implemented, sans the insta-shield, though they don't do anything special other than damage protection. YET.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Nice little update. Just two little additions:

At Hurt/Dead about Rings spawning, you have to change from "Set Angle to" to "Set Motion Angle to". The one you use now is the graphic rotation and not where the rings fly.

Also the Animation could be made better by doing this:

(Forum cuts off the end: PlayerSprite[CustomMovement].Speed / 15)

This way, the Animation would go with the Motion speed, making Sonic move faster if he's fast and slower when he's slow.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:32 am

Thanks for the help, mate! I was wondering why it wouldn't randomise the ring spray properly...

Zip file with a collection of sprites used in the SCW so far. Will expand as I add more stuff.

Also, ANOTHER UPDATE. It's a small one, but...

Changelog:
* Changed ring spray to random 'angle of motion' instead of 'angle', so now rings spray all over the place randomly.
* Added changing animation speed for running, so it corresponds to movement speed.
* Tried testing out keeping the player's movement on a moving platform so the player moves along with the platform. Didn't work too well. God damn, gonna need some help on this one.

Same download link as before.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:33 pm

I seem to have run into an issue with it. Construct 0.99.96. I can't jump in the Clock Tower level...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:52 pm

I have Construct 0.99.96 and it runs just fine.
Are you sure you're pressing down once and then CTRL?

[Edit] Oh, sorry! I misread your text.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:17 am

The jumping problem in the Clock Tower just got hotfixed (download the zip again), it's the Player object's variables that's the problem, the general events for jumping and acceleration are now fixed to the player's variables so it's easier to adjust, which I forgot to mention earlier. The variables are pretty much the same between levels, now.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your Creations