Sound inconsistency; Preview,Export,Desktop,Mobil

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Best soundtracks for any game. High quality and engaging assets.
  • I started exploring what was simply an inconvenient for me and turned out to flesh out an entire amalgam of potentially very important bugs or at least persistent problems for, I guess, a lot of people.

I have tried on different devices and in different stages of the same Construct Project, and I've found problems and inconsistencies in:

-Listening to sound at all in mobile devices.

-Working funcionality of "Set Master Volume" and "Set Volume" for mobile devices.

-Reproducing sounds in a project hosted in Dropbox.

I understand that those issues can be caused by the different explorers, servers, or server-like solutions (like Dropbox), but as they are an indispensable part for the projects on Construct2 to be useful at all after Exporting, and as they are solutions which by the Manual shouldn't be giving any problems, I think it is important to note.

I'm going to try to be as broad as possible in the tests below:

Link to .capx file (required!):

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5629788/Construct2%20Exports/TestProjects/ToggleVolumeControlTest.capx

When you press Toggle Music for the first time, it should play a looping Music.

When you press Toggle Sound for the first time, it should play a looping Sound (which is an Ambient Music also).

Each subsequent time you press Sound, it should get the Master Volume notably down, while if pressed Music, it should go up.

Steps to reproduce:

Different steps to get to different errors, but my methodology is as follows:

1. Preview the project in different devices and observe the differences.

2. Export the project as HTML5 Project.

3. Host the project in different solutions (as it is possible that some usual errors other people have, like MIME types, aren't as good treated in Dropbox as it is believed).

4. Test the project in different devices and explorers.

Observed result:

Step 1:

LAN Previewing in Desktop:

Google Chrome -> Music Plays on command, everything works perfectly.

LAN Previewing in Mobile:

Android Samsung Galaxy S Plus default internet browser -> Music plays on command, but Master Volume doesn't change.

Android phone Opera Mobile -> Music plays on command, but Master Volume doesn't change.

Android phone Maxthon Mobile -> Doesn't count, for other reason cannot even go to the Preview.

iPod Safari -> Music plays on command. Only one of the musics can be played at a time, they don't loop and Master Volume doesn't change.

Steps 3 and 4:

Hosted in Dropbox:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5629788/Construct2%20Exports/TestProjects/Test/index.html

Test on Desktop, Chrome: Perfect.

Tests on Mobile:

Android default browser: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

Android Opera Mobile: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

Android Maxthon: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

iPod Safari: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

Hosted in alternative server: xantomen.5gbfree.com/Construct%20Tests

Test on Desktop, Chrome: Perfect.

Tests on Mobile:

Android default browser: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

Android Opera Mobile: Game Shows in screen, and Music Plays! But   

automatically and a lot of times, not respecting

the code at all, just reproduces Sounds a lot of

times.

Android Maxthon: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

iPod Safari: Game Shows in screen, but No Sound at all.

Hosted in Construct Arcade:

Grey Screen in every device.

Expected result:

Everything working as described before.

Construct 2 version:

Versions beta 127 and stable 126.

• Oh, forgot to say, I tried with a lot of different examples, mostly Construct2 Demos, and the same thing happens.

I'm worried about how much I'll be able to get out of the platform now that I know I cannot export HTML5 to the phone scene if I want to have at least one sound in my game running. Can always get the games working on Desktop and throught CocoonJS, but that makes Construct so much less attractive. (And I really love the platform, I am an evangelist of it in Game Jams).

Hope we find a way throught the issue here, as I can't realistically go asking for solutions to this to everyone potentially involved until now (Dropbox, Opera, Safari, Android...). Thank you!

• Safari should work great, since iOS 6 added support for the Web Audio API. Are you using iOS 6?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's a friends iPod, which is an iPod Touch mc086bt, which apparently can only go to version 4.2.1.

So, the sound only works from version 6 on?

• Xantomen - only iOS 6+ supports playing sound in the browser. I'm sure the Android problems are browser limitations too rather than Construct 2 bugs, since our audio system works very well everywhere else including on iOS 6+. Chrome for Android will be getting the Web Audio API soon too which hopefully will fix this on Android too.

• Okey Ashley, thanks for the replies.

I am a bit concerned and deflated though now that I know that I can only target people with top-notch phones and I can't test on my own device (unless I go the appMobi and CocoonJS way, which I see as a different product, as it implies markets and installations). Guess nothing to do about it, except clarifying maybe in the manual which explorers and systems are minimum requirements in Phones for the Sound events to work.

This clarification could be a perfect addition to the end of the page: scirra.com/manual/6/system-requirements%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0, for example.

<font color=green>Please keep making the awesome updates, I still see the greatness on this platform, and you are doing a magnificient job! :)</font>

• Ashley, it might interest you that I have tested in a friend's new model Android phone Galaxy Nexus 4 with Google Chrome for Mobile and the "Set Volume" event also didn't work (when hosting the project on Dropbox at the very least).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)