Source Control / ALM

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I've been trying GitHub with construct 2 and it seems to work really well as long as you use project folder.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 am

@Ashley - perhaps source control could be put within Construct 2 itself to reduce errors in modifications like Microsoft did with Visual Studio. But it is just a suggestion. Will try to make do with what I can at the moment using SVN.
B

Post » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:23 pm

I've been having a lot of issues with GitHub for Windows and Construct 2. I'm guessing that a lot of it is down to me not knowing how to properly use it, but I'll explain what issues I'm having:

This is the method I've been following, along with the other guy in my team. We've got our main development branch, and both have our own branches for stuff we're working on. When we try and merge a branch into the main Development branch, it complains about conflicting files and refuses to merge.

Are we supposed to avoid working on say, the same layout, at the same time? It just doesn't seem to ring true to what I expected Git to work like.
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 pm

[QUOTE=Wrangler] I've been having a lot of issues with GitHub for Windows and Construct 2. I'm guessing that a lot of it is down to me not knowing how to properly use it, but I'll explain what issues I'm having:

This is the method I've been following, along with the other guy in my team. We've got our main development branch, and both have our own branches for stuff we're working on. When we try and merge a branch into the main Development branch, it complains about conflicting files and refuses to merge.

Are we supposed to avoid working on say, the same layout, at the same time? It just doesn't seem to ring true to what I expected Git to work like.[/QUOTE]

It is all text at the end of the day, so merging shouldn't be an issue. You might be running into issues because you are doing a baseless merge, it doesn't know the state of your changes in comparison to your team members. You should be working on one dev branch. I am not sure I fully understand using 2 personal branches and then merging into those, and then merging into the dev branch.

Some of his suggestions I disagree with as well, such as the following.

What happens if a bug is found in production? He suggests: "My general process for handling this involves the following
Make the fix directly on master
Tag it as a patch release
Push up the change
Merge the change into development"

B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:27 am

@Wrangler - The only time where you should do up another branch is probably when you decided to rewrite a majority of what is being done as part of refactoring the codes and it will affect the main dev branch. If it is just some minor adjustments or adding new features that will not affect current feature, you should only be using one branch.
B

Post » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:46 am

@firebelly Like I said, most of my problems are due to me not knowing the proper workflow for Git. I didn't know that a baseless merge existed up til now, but it makes perfect sense. For clarification though can I ask, we should both be working on the same 'development' branch, comitting directly to that branch?

@msv0001 Thanks for letting me know, it seems that link I've been using was telling me the completely wrong way of going about things.

I'm determined to get it working, so we can all have a good working example of how to use Git for Construct 2.
slap it onto the flappy bird template...
bang it on google play with all the other shovelware...
sorted...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 am

Hi,

I use SVN with Tortoise in my daytime job, so decided to use it for gamedev too. Researched 15+ SVN hostings and finally I'm really happy with www.assembla.com. This have a free plan with 1GB of storage, unlimited users, unlimited projects. The 1GB is not so big, but perfect for several pojects, especially if you see that the new/old versions of your files counts as 1 file with 1*size.

How to register: https://www.assembla.com/plans and look for Simple Free Starter Offers / Subversion Hosting. You can enable 30day trial of the full package...

Note that if You use the 30 days trial, you will need to login and change your plan to free after 30days (till than you can get some connection error on Commit/Update).

I have about 100K speed on upload/download from Hungary (Central/East EU), what is fair for a free service. In normal modifications (event sheets + several images) I never wait more than 10sec for an udpate/commit.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 pm

https://bitbucket.org is free for teams of 5 or less...

You can mark your repositories as private and you can have a wiki and issue tracking for each repository.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General