Spanky the Buttweasel Test

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Hello everyone! I've been working hard on this game and wanted to see how it runs on different machines.

The game is called The Stupid Adventures of Spanky the Buttweasel.

Controls:
Left/Right Arrow: Move
Down Arrow: Duck
Control: Attack
Space: Jump

It's still rough but wanted some early feedback!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/4/1 ... tbtest.RAR
(1.97 MB /rar file)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Ok one bug when you Go Right/Left and then Attack (while holding Right/Left) there is no animation of walking.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:37 pm

I take it jumping isn't implemented yet? If it is, I can't jump.

Seconding the attack/animation bug. I also can't seem to walk up the slope after killing the moose... is there some kind of invisible barrier there or am I stuck on the slope?

As for the graphics... they're drawn nicely enough, for a cartoony game. The background trees don't seem to mesh well with the foreground, having thicker lines and all. Also, stuff that's far away tends to be lighter (and bluer) than stuff in the foreground due to atmospheric effects, not darker.

The animation seems a little lacking on the attack, I'd like to see the character maybe open his jaws in an exaggerated manner like in a cartoon to chomp things.

Other than that, it's a good start.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:17 am

[quote="deadeye":izvxhq1o]I take it jumping isn't implemented yet? If it is, I can't jump.[/quote:izvxhq1o]
Press SHIFT to jump.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:23 am

Oh how embarrassing... yes shift is jump :mrgreen:

Doppel: Oh yes what a beaver that is...I gotta fix that animation bug...

Deadeye: right on about the trees. I edited them and they look much better. The animations are still being worked on and far from complete, not my strongest point I'll admit. The slope prob is an err on my behalf, just wanted to make a quick level. I'll redo the whole floor design.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:39 am

Ah, hey. There's the jumping :)

Okay, couple more crits now that I can see the rest of the level...

When jumping up against a wall, he gets stuck halfway up. He doesn't slide up the wall and go over like you'd expect a platform character to do. I have to back up and clear the top of the ledge entirely to make it up.

Also, the health pickup renders it's particles in front of the player when you pick it up, I think it might look better behind.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:14 am

LOL yes I just fixed the darn attack/walk animation bug and noticed the choppy platformness. I'm redesigning the floor for something a little less troublesome :wink:

Thanks for testing! I thinks I was a bit too eager to put this up... :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:27 pm

[quote="deadeye":3lpanun7]
[/quote:3lpanun7]
[size=200:3lpanun7]HELP! IM STUCK![/size:3lpanun7]
Hahahaha thats nice, maybe make him a box collision?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:06 pm

[quote="Doppel":yvhltlip][size=200:yvhltlip]HELP! IM STUCK![/size:yvhltlip]
Hahahaha thats nice, maybe make him a box collision?[/quote:yvhltlip]

I think it is a box collision, his jaw doesn't seem to be the part that's getting stuck there. It's more like the collision mask for the background is funky.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:58 pm

This is the problem. The purple object is the floor detector. I'll probably have to make it box shaped instead of the wedge it currently.

These detectors drive me nuts for donuts lol
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your Creations