Speculation and Request: External Event Sheets

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm

A simple unique program ID would solve importability. Load event sheet / ini, check ID against internal ID.

And although this COULD be used for patching, I'm really thinking more of a level editor thing. Like Smash Bros Brawl, where users can use existing objects with a small choice of backgrounds and place them how they please. Or in my case, much the same with a little more flexibility within my own custom encounter scripting. No objects or textures need be added.

After all, you're right about patching tools. And yes you're right that python is better for mods... but I'm aiming for the end user, not the master modder. Construct event structure is far easier to understand and incorporate into an existing project.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm not sure but I think im missing some points here, if you want users to be able to design their own levels would it not be easiest to create a level editor in game and be able to export and import them? This way would be a lot more user friendly as well.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:06 pm

[quote="Gullanian":2mb1ry2r]if you want users to be able to design their own levels would it not be easiest to create a level editor in game and be able to export and import them?[/quote:2mb1ry2r]

I think he also wants to let users modify how the game acts, not just where objects are.

[quote="CaptainOblivious":2mb1ry2r]but I'm aiming for the end user, not the master modder. Construct event structure is far easier to understand and incorporate into an existing project.[/quote:2mb1ry2r]

Couldn't you just make a frontend that mimics the construct eventing style and exports into python scripts that your game would understand? Like how a savegame editor presents the user with a nice little environment with help boxes and information for something that would just show up as "Level=10" in the INI file?
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:11 pm

That' a good idea, but I myself have no experience working with scripts, much less exporting and reintegrating them later. I was thinking I'd wait until the wiki had more information before I began exploring that.

Another way I've considered is through INI files, although that's much more like translating from a translation.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion