Spelunker Platform Game Builder- Build Your Platform Games!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
City builder
$19.99 USD
Template for city builder, fully documented in comment and video
  • This is an early Beta demo of my Spelunker Platform Game Builder.

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/spelunker-platform-game-builder-15283

You can use this to create platform games using the ready made components, enemies, collectibles and switches. This is designed for people that want to create their own platform games using ready made components and I will be adding many more components so bookmark and follow the progress.

Cursor automatically snaps to grid so you can build perfect platforms and edit, change and delete objects in edit mode or use play mode to zoom in for editing.

This sandbox builder allows you to add weather effects of snow and rain and night time and day time lighting effects. Choose different background scenes and music and you have two players to choose from and over 200 ready made components.

Enemies can be set using left and right direction sprites for custom movement. More enemy sprites will be added but you have 5 zombies, 2 insects, bats, plants and other non living enemies you can use for now.

View it in full screen for best effect.

Play the demo game by clicking PLAY on far right menu.

Player Controls:

Arrow keys move, jump and slide player.

CREATE:

Click E key to open editor.

Left click on any object in sand box and Right click to place it on game screen.

Click on Erase or D key in menu and click on any object on game screen to erase it.

SPACE BAR resets cursor to normal in Edit mode.

M key selects background music

C key hides cursor while playing.

Click on PLAY to work on your project in zoom mode.

Delete the objects in the demo game or use them to start your game.

NEW resets the entire game to beginning of Demo game.

SAVE or S Key in menu to save your game for later play. Only one game slot for now.

LOAD or L Key in menu to load your game.

Click RESET to reset player to start of game and reset health and score.

NOTE: Use SAVE often as you edit. When you open the PLAY screen click S key to Save.

NOTE: You must have a player on the game screen to play. If you delete the player from game screen it will not have anything to focus on. Click E key and click on the player and position the player where you want them to start the game.

NOTE: Once you SAVE your game it will be there the next time you play the game in the arcade. Just click LOAD and it will open. If you want to start with a fresh score and health click on RESET before clicking SAVE.

That way you can share your platform games with your friends as long as they use your computer and browser and you can come back and edit it any time.

NOTE: When you click SAVE or S Key wait a few seconds before you start playing or it will start your game at a later point in time. I will add a delay in a future update to fix that.

Take a screen capture or make an animated gif of your creations and share them in the comments!

• Added some new assets, enemies, spikes and a tank of acid and yes I hit the acid the first few times lol!

• BUMP

I now have the early Beta demo in the arcade so you can create your own platform games.

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/spelunker-platform-game-builder-15283

• OK I have been working for two days on a huge update with over 200 objects, tiles and enemies for this Platform Game Designer.

Finding enough good tile sets in public domain was not easy.

Just about have everything working and just need to do movements for enemies and add in a few moving objects and I think I will get a new version with everything you see below up tomorrow- I hope!

• Looking great! Did you get the issue with snapping of new tiles figured out? It looks like it from the image above.

• Looking great! Did you get the issue with snapping of new tiles figured out? It looks like it from the image above.

Actually that is how I want the layouts so you don't have to have perfectly straight tiles. The player can still maneuver over them but I may add a snap feature.

When you zoom in and edit in the play mode you can fix any tiles that are out of line.

I still have to get some enemies working correctly tomorrow and then this one is about ready.

Backgrounds and music can all be changed to suit the designers mood and I need to add a title screen maker.

I will do one of these for RPG game building next but not for awhile.

Ever played a platformer in the dark?

I just added a darkness and rain effect and you can only see platforms when you are very close to them- cool effect. I will add snow and other effects today.

• I use a similar effect for cave layouts in my game.

• [quote:1aqjhku9]Actually that is how I want the layouts so you don't have to have perfectly straight tiles. The player can still maneuver over them but I may add a snap feature.

If I were going to use an editor like that, having at least the option to turn on snapping would be essential. When I make levels I want to be able to do it quickly and not have to spend too much time getting things lined up. Of course having the ability to not snap is also a good idea like you said.

UPDATE: I finally figured out how to do a Snap To Grid Feature in the game so now you can place tiles easily and they snap together perfectly.

Just have to change about 200 events so they use the snap now thanks Burvey

Just kidding and it does really help with designing the layouts so everything looks smooth.

I hope to have this major update with over 200 platform objects uploaded tomorrow.

• LOL!

I'm looking forward to checking it out.

• Did you get a chance to upload the updates yet?

• Did you get a chance to upload the updates yet?

Not yet sorry!

I got sidetracked building the website and then making a pinball game for tournament play.

I will work on Spelunker some more this evening. It is about ready for a demo.

• No worries. How's the tournament stuff coming along? By the way, which card games did you use to do tourneys in?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No worries. How's the tournament stuff coming along? By the way, which card games did you use to do tourneys in?

I just uploaded one of the pinball games I will be using for the first tourney:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/strategy-games/magnetron-heavy-metal-pinball-15253

I played Texas Holdem tourneys and pool tourneys all over the west coast and ran tourneys for local clubs for several years at taverns and private clubs.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)