Split Screen Concept

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Come to think of it, yeah, thats probably the issue.

EDIT: Yup, that did it!

Man David, thats freaking AWESOME! I didn't know Construct could do things like this!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 am

Holy mother of the Mana Goddess, that is freaking awesome! The very first thing I thought was, "I don't see split screen. Oh... the camera's spacing out... Is this the best it can d-- HOLY CRAP." and I was IMMEDIATELY reminded of the greatest co-op 2-player game ever, Toe-jam & Earl, and how this not only perfectly emulated it, but easily surpassed it. @_@ Man, Construct can do some AWESOME stuff.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:53 am

So many old games could have been soooo much more fun with something like this (no having to stand around waiting for your mate to get back from the bathroom and his motionless character holding you back), or those old sports games, or football games. I'm trying to find an excuse to use this in mine now, grr, lol.

Awesome, very very cool. Now do it with four players! :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Very very awesome. You're always full of surprises Davo. :)

I have uploaded an alternate version below that supports any aspect ratio and screen size instead of the default 1:1 ratio.

Just change the window width and height, and change the 'Player2View' canvas to the same size (it is 800x600 in this example, which is 4:3 ratio).

Enjoy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3541668/Split%2 ... ernate.cap

EDIT: Is there any chance we'll ever get the option to change the Canvas size at runtime without stretching? It is currently impossible (I think, prove me wrong) to make the above automatically scale to DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight due to the Canvas stretching.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I like where this is going.
As for multiple resolutions, one could create several canvases, family them (hah) and then delete them all in runtime, keeping the needed size. Of course this would still eat up the total VRAM at startup :s

I've been thinking of 4-player splitscreen too, but that's not as easy... yeah I could envision the 4-way splitscreen as each corner of the screen, but what about the angles? imagine widescreen, 4 players each in their split-corner, then both players in the upper half approaching each other.... vertically! O_o
4 player-splitscreen could be done with rotation, so that the camera rotates to accomodate any merges, but this example doesn't rotate the playfield, I'm not sure how hard that would be.
Also, 4 player would mean 3 canvases? that's a lot of VRAM :( if one could only 'paste to screen'.

Hey, that'd be a neat way to control a renderer with events! foreach *default family* ordered by z, paste to screen. Construct 2, perhaps? :P with a "draw normally" attribute that does this by default, and then one could uncheck it and move and paste stuff around freely like it's done with canvas... and then canvas would just be a buffer!

so um... back in topic. 4 player-splitscreen, any ideas?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:15 am

awesome david

I was thinking of something like this once, though I never saw the other game you were talking about

in my head though, it was more like two droplets separating with a larger droplet for larger numbers of players, but canvas doesn't have mesh distortion abilities so it was a no go

If I make my game co op
I definitely have to integrate some kind of clever screen splitting deal
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:58 pm

old dragonball fighting games had a split screen effect for large levels

http://gamefabrique.com/gallery/dragon- ... suden.html

but now we finally know how to achieve the same effect in construct!! whoo-hoo!!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:03 am

I got a runtime error trying to open it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:23 am

[quote="AfterShock":1b97qcxb]I got a runtime error trying to open it.[/quote:1b97qcxb]

What version of construct are you using?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Could someone re upload this?
B

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files