Splitting levels up into many layouts VS a single layout

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm still in the design phase of a game and I was wondering which direction I should take. I'm making a shooter with 5 to 8 different levels in addition to an introduction animation and a handful of menus. Is it possible to put all the levels inside one massive layout and simply make the camera move from one to the next as desired, or is it wiser to split up the levels into their respective layouts?

I mainly want to prevent having to recode many separate layouts down the line if I realize I want to change a particular mechanic. Perhaps there's another way I'm not seeing?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:20 pm

[quote="Havoc":12k2j62b]
I mainly want to prevent having to recode many separate layouts down the line if I realize I want to change a particular mechanic. Perhaps there's another way I'm not seeing?[/quote:12k2j62b]

You don't have to worry about recoding lots of different layouts. Construct has separate event sheets that you can re-use. For instance, you can do all of your controls on one event sheet, and then in your level layout's events right click and select "Include Event Sheet" and pick your controls.

To create a new event sheet, select "Application" in your project tab, then click on "Add/Edit" under Manage Event Sheets in the application properties.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 pm

That's right, you can add event sheets in Application Properties and include them in any layout's events, so you can have one central place to edit events. You can even organise them in to separate sheets, as well as groups. So to answer your question - the only reason you'd want all your levels crammed in to one layout would be if you wanted seamless scrolling between levels. Otherwise, level design might be a bit of a headache :P
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks guys! That's a great thing to find out about this program. :D
B
S
G

Return to Construct Classic Discussion