Sponsor List Verified

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:33 am

you mentioned that the games have to run on both desktop and mobile devices, but how do they decide if a game can run on mobile devices? There a lot of mobile devices with different hardware specs. Some devices will run a game smoothly and others will lag and might not even run the game at all. ThunderLion2014-01-18 05:34:00
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 am

[QUOTE=ThunderLion] you mentioned that the games have to run on both desktop and mobile devices, but how do they decide if a game can run on mobile devices? There a lot of mobile devices with different hardware specs. Some devices will run a game smoothly and others will lag and might not even run the game at all. [/QUOTE]

Usually publishers have a QA department and will validate the game before finally paying the developer. They will likely test your game on the latest (or close) generation iPhone, iPad and Google Nexus.

Of course there is no way you as a single developer can verify your game will work without any issues on every available device. Even a bigger company would struggle to achieve this 100% I imagine.

Also I believe you can ignore performance problems with outdated devices. Noone will expect your HTML5 game to run great on some older Android Gingerbread smart device.

Remember to support different aspect ratios and resolutions with your game. It's one of the most crucial things for mobile development. In many cases this can be achieved with the proper fullscreen option in Construct, if your game is properly designed at the same time.

Still you obviously should have access to at least one Android or iOS device, ideally running the latest available version. Test your game there and you should be good.

I use a Google Nexus 7 (1st generation) for my mobile testing. Had a few concerns from the QA before, but it's mostly stuff you can easily adjust. I admit it can get tricky (in my case) if the problem is solely iOS related, since I do not have access to such a device.
PixelRebirth2014-01-18 11:23:32
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm

[QUOTE=ThunderLion] you mentioned that the games have to run on both desktop and mobile devices, but how do they decide if a game can run on mobile devices? There a lot of mobile devices with different hardware specs. Some devices will run a game smoothly and others will lag and might not even run the game at all. [/QUOTE]

They have their own department for testing these things. My games did not run 100% on devices. These complaints was

-Tiny screen (fixed by switching to outer scale in browser.)

-Sluggish on the older devices (because my only option at the time was the old collision system. Had a lot of objects in Surface.)

-Black screen on older IOS phones (still don't know why that happened.)

-Also could not get it to lock orientation. I would suggest making a warning screen when the player rotates their phone to the wrong orientation. I just told them there is no standard for locking orientation in browsers, and left it at that.
PixelPalette2014-01-18 18:45:35
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm surprised why they didn't know about lock orientation in browsers and other odd problems.

Older iPhones probably run older iOS versions. iOS 5 or newer is required to run HTML5 Games.Joannesalfa2014-01-18 23:37:10
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 am

Hey PixelPalette, I recently created a small game, but for some reason the music doesn't work for any mobile device I tested on.

Here are the results:

Ipad 2 - Everything works except for the music.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Everything works except for the sounds and music.

Blackberry Playbook - Runs the game only when it's in landscape mode, and it plays sounds, but not the music. It also lags a lot even when I enable WebGL.

Windows RT - Works flawlessly.

Kindle Fire HD 1st Gen - I can hear the music and sounds, but it displays a blank screen.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Everything works except for the music.

The games works flawlessly with all computers I tested on, but the music takes a while to load and the font changes to arial.

Can you help me how to solve this problem?

Game link
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:07 am

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114518783/GalaxyJumperV2/index.html
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:25 am

[QUOTE=ThunderLion] Hey PixelPalette, I recently created a small game, but for some reason the music doesn't work for any mobile device I tested on.

Here are the results:

Ipad 2 - Everything works except for the music.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Everything works except for the sounds and music.

Blackberry Playbook - Runs the game only when it's in landscape mode, and it plays sounds, but not the music. It also lags a lot even when I enable WebGL.

Windows RT - Works flawlessly.

Kindle Fire HD 1st Gen - I can hear the music and sounds, but it displays a blank screen.

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Everything works except for the music.

The games works flawlessly with all computers I tested on, but the music takes a while to load and the font changes to arial.

Can you help me how to solve this problem?

Game link
[/QUOTE]

What audio formats does your music and sound use? For the final build, I ended up using every format it had. I still had problems with one of them, and somehow the other game had audio completely working in their tests. *shrugs* Sometimes i hate HTML5 being new. Still has crucial problems with audio. I'm pretty much tired of selling web versions, and seeing if android/ios builds with ads does better for me.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 am

Hello Pixelpalette, when you sell a license, will you send the game into a rar compressed file (for example)? or you have to have a website and give the link? I just do not know how this all works. Greetings and sorry my English.MATAGUIRIS2014-01-28 11:50:16
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm

[QUOTE=MATAGUIRIS] Hello Pixelpalette, when you sell a license, will you send the game into a rar compressed file (for example)? or you have to have a website and give the link? I just do not know how this all works. Greetings and sorry my English.[/QUOTE]

I sent it as a compress archive. Zip or rar is fine, as I use peazip for it anyway. They test it on their own server.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 pm

How you get in touch to send you the game? Send an e-mail? you register and upload the game directly? upload the full game? a demo?

Thank you.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Distribution and Publishing