Sprite Font Frustrations

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:43 pm

No AnD4D, you are not. I have used the spritefont and had similar results and struggles, even though I followed Paradox's excellent guide. Now sprifont is something I want to do last, because of the hassle it includes which makes it boring. It's not like you are achieving something tangible by solving this problem, you are just making it "normal".

Thus I agree sprifont tool may need an uplift, but I also think there are many other areas that would be better improved with higher priority, like export's, localized obstacle recalculation for pathfinding, improving tilemap editor etc.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Spritefonts are primarily just mono spaced fonts (aka all the same width) although it is cool you can get it working with variable width fonts as well. For the case you cited of using the Arial font why not just use the text object? It's use is basically the same as adding text in photoshop or any other program you mentioned.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:47 pm

@R0j0hound - in addition to wanting to achieve a certain look to a font, in my game I discovered the normal text object actually causes a significant fps hit on my computer when changing the layout scale. When I switched over to sprite text, the fps remained smooth.

I wonder if it would be easier to use if we could import an image with a grid of characters, and after setting the size of the grid C2 could automatically split it in to separate animation frames, crop the images and set the hotspots. Then we would get it automatically adjusting for variable width fonts, and it would make a sprite sheet automatically for them on export the same way it does for everything else, but we would still have the ability to tweak it.Arima2013-11-16 18:50:18
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=Arima]I wonder if it would be easier to use if we could import an image with a grid of characters, and after setting the size of the grid C2 could automatically split it in to separate animation frames, crop the images and set the hotspots. Then we would get it automatically adjusting for variable width fonts, and it would make a sprite sheet automatically for them on export the same way it does for everything else, but we would still have the ability to tweak it.[/QUOTE]

+1 for this! I don't mean to sound unappreciative. I'm happy we have this tool, but just like @Windwalker said, I also leave these things until the last minute. Which is a shame.

I could use the standard text tool, but I'd like things like outlines, drop shadows :( So I have to use the Sprite Font if I want things to look right, that, or I just use the text tool in photoshop combined with the sprite tool.
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General