Sprite Font Generator - v3

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:29 pm

@blackhornet & @TiAm,

I can confirm that I'm using v 2.4... Here is the character set that is contained within the GYFM window and which is drives the characters in the png image (the png contains these characters as well):

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.,;:?!-_~#"'&()[]|`\[email protected]+=*$£€<>%

Here's a screen shot to confirm it:

screenprint_GYFM.png


And here's a screen shot of the text tile. As you can see, the character set there is:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.,;:?!-_~#"'&()[]|`\[email protected]+=*$£€<>%

screen shot - text doc.png


So... it contains some foreign characters and omits some others (like the Euro symbol). I have no idea why this should be this way - I have just reformatted my computer and it's running W8.1 with a US keyboard and English UK language selected....

Thanks for helping with this. To be honest, I can probably work around this by not using some of these characters. It just seems odd that there is a disconnect between the input string, the png and the output text object.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
68
S
17
G
65
Posts: 2,185
Reputation: 41,310

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Anything in the log file? Can you skip the alphabet & numbers and just try the "other" characters? It doesn't make sense that the characters are shifting around.
ImageImageImage
B
71
S
19
G
180
Posts: 3,481
Reputation: 103,183

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Where can I find a complete character list (with german, french, spanish etc... characters) ?

à, â, Ææ, ç,Ê, Í, Ó, Õ, Ô, Ú Ç....
Luca ConTato [RisingPixel]
Image
B
22
S
8
G
1
Posts: 106
Reputation: 2,812

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:09 pm

@blackhornet,

Here's the top few lines of the persist.xml obj.

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<PersistableFontDetails xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <Letterset>ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789.,;:?!-_~#"'&amp;()[]|`\[email protected]+=*$£€&lt;&gt;%</Letterset>
  <AdjustHeight>0</AdjustHeight>
  <AdjustWidth>0</AdjustWidth>
  <SampleText>The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.</SampleText>


And here are the last few lines from the GYFM2.txt object:

Code: Select all
UpdateWindow-IN
Void buttonFont(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs),Void UpdateWindow(),DrawToBitmap(Arial,Regular,14,<~>,~,500,1000,0,0,0)
UpdateWindow-OUT
Void InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean),Void OnSaveFile(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs),DrawToBitmap(Arial,Regular,14,<~>,~,0,0,0,0,0)
Void InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean),Void OnSaveFile(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs),DrawToBitmap(Arial,Regular,14,<~>,~,0,0,0,0,0)


Here's the png from the previous post, just for completeness...

SpriteFont_Arial_Regular_(14)_[0,0,0]_16x16.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
68
S
17
G
65
Posts: 2,185
Reputation: 41,310

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Just try € by itself.
ImageImageImage
B
71
S
19
G
180
Posts: 3,481
Reputation: 103,183

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Good idea!


Character set in the text output:

Code: Select all
€


Here's from the output xml:

Code: Select all
<Letterset>€</Letterset>


3 for the price of 1....
B
68
S
17
G
65
Posts: 2,185
Reputation: 41,310

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:50 pm

OK, so this seems to have something to do with the way the TXT file is written. The encoding is changing. As a workaround you should be able to change any place you see "€" back to "€" and it should work.

I'll see what I can do, but this may be difficult to fix unless I can find a way to replicate the issue here.
ImageImageImage
B
71
S
19
G
180
Posts: 3,481
Reputation: 103,183

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks @blackhornet, I really appreciate your work on this great prog. I have figured ways to work around it as well. I rarely need special characters so don't lose sleep on it on my account! Cheers.
B
68
S
17
G
65
Posts: 2,185
Reputation: 41,310

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:03 pm

One nice thing about the GYFM exports is that it's pretty easy to tack on special chars or edit chars; just bring the spritefont into gimp and set the grid size to the height/width specified. Drop the char(s) you need into a blank spot, then plug the char(s) into the JSON 'letterset' string and specify it's width (the measure tool in gimp works for that).
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
43
S
10
G
10
Posts: 1,106
Reputation: 9,157

Post » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:03 am

V2.5 added, to fix issue brought up by Colludium.
ImageImageImage
B
71
S
19
G
180
Posts: 3,481
Reputation: 103,183

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest