Sprite sheets

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:41 am

Right click on the "Animation Frames" window not "Animation" :)
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:07 am

@Tokinsom : oh, I see what you mean ! Thanks for clarifying :) Keep the sheet itself as a resource, instead of processing it and slicing it into frames directly on import. Indeed that makes resource management, especially animation updates, easier.

Though I think OP is mostly after building an animation from a spritesheet, regardless of the slicing, instead of manually importing one frame at a time, which is clunky and time consuming. Something C2 is capable of.

As for efficiency and performance, frames are packed into texture atlases when exporting anyway, so delaying the processing or not should be negligible.
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:18 pm

""As for efficiency and performance, frames are packed into texture atlases when exporting anyway, so delaying the processing or not should be negligible.""

True but now C2 is importing a sheet, slicing, and then putting it all back into a sheet on export, so why bother XD; All this really does is give you extra space for image points and let you crop...meanwhile drastically increasing preview times and bloating your project with thousands of images & folders.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 am

@Tokinsom yeah, I agree the whole thing could be a bit more streamlined ! And I do like the idea of keeping sprite sheets internally to make resource management easier. Plus it shouldn't prevent the user from editing individual animations, re-ordering frames, adding image points, etc. all these would just need to be kept as metadata in parallel of the sheets. Maybe for C3 :-?

Though I do see a point in re-slicing/re-packing the sprites ; automatic processing of large amount of resources can usually lead to better results than manual management. For example maybe several sprite sheets can be recombined into a single texture atlas, maybe some animation frames are unused and can be dropped from the export while keeping them at edit time, etc.
Game Producer & Independent Developer - http://raphaelgervaise.com
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:58 am

i did often read about slow preview times with many sprites but thought it cant be so worse..
now i got to a point where its just ridiculous, in a project with 600 24*24 Sprites (one sprite object, so would be one spritesheet) and 200 16*16 (another spritesheet, so we would have two now), a total size of 50kB, its faster to export the game, find a failure, fix the the failure, export again and run the game compared to just previewing it, the preview is at that time at ~50% loading.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Tokinsom wrote:""As for efficiency and performance, frames are packed into texture atlases when exporting anyway, so delaying the processing or not should be negligible.""

True but now C2 is importing a sheet, slicing, and then putting it all back into a sheet on export, so why bother XD; All this really does is give you extra space for image points and let you crop...meanwhile drastically increasing preview times and bloating your project with thousands of images & folders.

It makes the editor architecture simple. If the editor dealt with spritesheets and you edited a single image to be bigger, it could cause a cascade of spritesheet repacking, which affects many images instead of just the one you edited.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Ashley wrote:It makes the editor architecture simple. If the editor dealt with spritesheets and you edited a single image to be bigger, it could cause a cascade of spritesheet repacking, which affects many images instead of just the one you edited.

Ah. I was just thinking of fixed-grid spritesheets like Pyxel Edit uses. If that's not the case, I assume C3 will take an approach similar to Unity's sprite atlases..? Will be interesting.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Tokinsom wrote:Ah. I was just thinking of fixed-grid spritesheets like Pyxel Edit uses. If that's not the case, I assume C3 will take an approach similar to Unity's sprite atlases..? Will be interesting.

In-editor spritesheeting is a goal of C3.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General