SpriteFont (v0.99.5RC) - new update, small bugfixes

Post and try out addons that are currently in development.

Post » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:39 am

yeah it's fixed already newt :) thanks. I realized just after I asked, it doesn't make sense to have to set it manually :

99.1 changes
No longer necessary to set layer manually. sprite font draws the sprites on it's own layer
scroll values are floats now...forreal this time

font page has current link, too, but:
[size=150:10sbqnza]SpriteFont![/size:10sbqnza]

[size=85:10sbqnza]davi, uber, I answered your posts back on page 4 :)[/size:10sbqnza]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:16 pm

This is a fantastic plugin, thanks!

I guess it might be hard as I assume it keeps creating the letters every loop, but wouldn't it be possible to order the letters to always be above the plugin object rather than above everything on that layer? Right now I tested a multiple speech-bubble thingy and when they overlap the text from the one below is still above the bubble that is topmost, etc. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks for updating so fast lucid. I'm pretty sure I had set the correct layer set up, but I'll try it out with the new version when I get home from work. Also I'll make a cap to see if i can reproduce the blurriness later today. I was using a small pixel font with the aliasing of the layer set to point if that helps any.

Edit: OK I recreated it during my lunchbreak and found the solution to both problems. I was creating a spriteFont object on the menu layout, then when you enter the game, I was creating a second one for a cinematic. I guess I forgot to set the sprite to use for the cinematic one, but somehow it still worked because it was writing the text. However the font was blurred and it was drawing on the wrong layer. Once I set the sprite to use for the cinematic one, it fixed both problems.
Thanks for looking into it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:31 pm

i was just about to reply when i saw your update uberlou. so that fixed the blurry pixel thing, too?

either way, im glad you brought it up. having to set the layer was an unecesary and unintuitive step anyway.

konjak. i didnt give much thought to zordering to be honest, but thats a good point. i think what i'll do is try(havent messed with zorders stuff yet so i dont know how involved it is) to add an option to position the letters just above the fontsprite object. i say option, in case someone wants to have some fancy zordering instead of having it behave in the normal way

for now though, you should be able to use the "for each letter" condition and do any zordering you need to your sprite

the fontsprite object keeps track of all the sprites it creates, so if you call a for each letter/word condition you can do actions to the sprite you chose, and it wont affect sprites from a different fontsprite object, even if you're using the same sprite for both.

i think my phrasing just there was a little confusing,but my break is about to end at work, so just reply back if that made no sense.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 pm

[size=150:hzmbo1aw][color=#40BFBF:hzmbo1aw]GET IT HERE![/color:hzmbo1aw][/size:hzmbo1aw]
changelog
added: Set ZOrder of Text to SpriteFont : option to make text obey ZOrder of SpriteFont object
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:21 am

Firstly, nice work on this. It's something both construct and I have really needed.

I tried opening the "Hello world" .cap, and changed the 'show text' action to write text, and it doesn't show the H for some reason.

Edit: Never mind, it's because I used a capital H.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:42 am

Your'e awesome for adding it so quickly, but... I can't find "z-ordering" anywhere in Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:53 am

thx guys
konjak:
for any object, when you're in the layout editor, you can right click an object and go to "Order"
to adjust the order of objects

under the sprite object, it's the options at the bottom of the actions

there is also a "get z index" expression for sprites

for this object in particular
you can check the option in the properties panel

and you can also change it with the Set Z-Order to object action

like I said before though, if you'd prefer to change the zorder according to other things to make letters weave in and out of pillars or something while they scroll, you can do a For Each Letter condition, and do whatever you want to the sprites
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:21 am

Eh... I'm not quite that behind when it comes to using Construct and making games!

The ZOrder thing literaly does not appear under Properties when highlighting my SpriteFont objects in the layout editor.

Also, I'm trying to figure out why it suddenly started to crash Construct whenever it retrieves texts that are multiline. I retrieve them to a string variable in the SpriteFont object and then display it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:42 am

:) sorry bout that
I'm not sure what you mean about the zordering not appearing

when I right click, it has order there for the spritefont

is there another zorder control for other objects?

as far as multiline crashing, I couldn't reproduce that either:
[url:4p02vj5w]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/hellomultilineworld.cap[/url:4p02vj5w]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Work-in-progress addons