Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:09 pm

@lucid
The link on the first thread on "how to import your spriter characters is broken"

http://www.brashmonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =3&t=15628
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 pm

@justifun fixed, thanks.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:42 pm

First off, congratulations on reaching Steam and the launch of 1.0. I'm finally digging into Spriter and its amazing.

I apologize if these were answered already (I swear I looked), but I have a couple of questions:

I'm using Spriter for my enemies and NPC's and I'm running into trouble with the origin point. I've added the platform behavior to the Spriter Object, but its lifting my artwork too high. Can I adjust the origin point on the Spriter Object somehow?

Also, I've dabbled with spawning a box and using that for the behaviors (like you would with a player character), but Construct 2 won't let me create a container and put a Spriter object inside. I guess it doesn't like putting a container in a container.

If there isn't a way to move that origin point, what do you think is the best way to use Spriter Objects as Enemies?

Thanks for your help.

-Ben
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 pm

@sman118
sman118 wrote:First off, congratulations on reaching Steam and the launch of 1.0. I'm finally digging into Spriter and its amazing.

Thanks!

I'm using Spriter for my enemies and NPC's and I'm running into trouble with the origin point. I've added the platform behavior to the Spriter Object, but its lifting my artwork too high. Can I adjust the origin point on the Spriter Object somehow?

Not yet, but choosing the bounding box and origin of the runtime's main hitbox is an upcoming feature to both the editor and the plugin. Sorry no ETA on this just yet.

Also, I've dabbled with spawning a box and using that for the behaviors (like you would with a player character), but Construct 2 won't let me create a container and put a Spriter object inside. I guess it doesn't like putting a container in a container.

This is probably the best way to do it. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it seems you just made a simple mistake. You should just be able to add the behavior boxsprite and add that sprite to the container that the scml object and all it's associated sprites are already in. Then use the pin behavior on the scml object to stick it to the behavior boxsprite. Just adjust the hotspot of the boxsprite until the scml object appears in the correct place. And then each time you will be creating an instance:
Code: Select all
spawn scml object
scml object-set position to boxsprite
scml object-pin to boxsprite 

Please let me know if you have any more trouble, and there is a thorough scml plugin tutorial linked in my signature.

Eventually as I said, though, you will just be able to draw a box around the object in Spriter, and when you load it in C2, your scml object will be set to that exact bounding box and origin.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:26 pm

@lucid

Hello my SPRITER certificate was lost where can I find my certificate
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:33 pm

@arubishi, where did you buy Spriter? Scirra, BrashMonkey (or Kickstarter), Steam?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Happy spriter pro user here!! Have a few questions.

I'm going with this retro and square look but done in vector. Spriter is jagging my art a bit. Tried the smooth/pixel settings but they don't help much. Is there a way to get nonejagged results with square art?

Need some info on character maps, is it possible to create random character generation in c2 with the current spriter features?

Thanks in advance!
----
Edit
fixed jagged sprites by cropping inside C2.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi kraed,

I assume you're using a vector art program to make the PNG images that you then import and use in Spriter, but then you want the final product to look like pixel art? (I assume when you say retro and square you mean pixel art). Do I also understand correctly that you are using Spiriter in pixel art mode to create your animations?

It sounds like what you're after is to use the opposite of pixel art (high res art made from a vector program, along with on the fly rotation etc) but to end up with authentic looking pixel art in the game. The only way this would work perfectly is if C2 support an on the fly filtering system that cleanly rotates pixel art while recalculating it to still look like clean pixel art. C2 does not yet support such a thing as far as I know, but maybe there's a shader you could use to achieve this effect.

As for Character Maps, yes it should definitely be possible to have random character generation in C2. First create an assortment of character maps in Spriter for your character that each change just one aspect of the character (hair, shirt, pants etc etc) then use the action "append Character Map" in the Spriter object, and have the game randomly select 1 of each type of character map..one for hair type, one for shirt type etc etc.

I see now while writing this you resolved your "jagged sprites" problem, but I'm still not sure what the problem actually was or what you mean by "cropping". Can you explain that in more detail?

Thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:45 am

lucid wrote:@arubishi, where did you buy Spriter? Scirra, BrashMonkey (or Kickstarter), Steam?

BrashMonkey
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:39 am

arubishi wrote:
lucid wrote:@arubishi, where did you buy Spriter? Scirra, BrashMonkey (or Kickstarter), Steam?

BrashMonkey

Please email us at support@brashmonkey.com with your purchase email and we'll get you your key again.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General