Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:55 pm

@lucid - have you further considered making it so that effects can be applied via the spriter object itself?
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:03 am

@lucid

I would like to report a performance inconsistency bug ? In my project I have about only 7 scml or spriter objects but the performance is not good on mobile (Galaxy S3 webgl enabled, chrome). I noticed that the performance usually going to drop in two conditions. When In multiple or repeat "system create object" and when multiple objects is going to be destroyed. Sometimes it is going to drop until single digit. This happens a lot in my galaxy s3. On desktop the performance drops in firefox.

So I did a simple projects using GreyGuy example and you can see the jerking or stuttering happens when multiple greyguys is destroyed (when hit the ground). Its like a sudden pause or frame skip when Construct is destroying the objects . This is just one scml objects. In my game I use about 7 objects and that includes a lot of fruit or coin generations in infinite run style game. So there is a lot of stuttering.

I hope you can fix this.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:58 am

lucid wrote:
krish wrote:Does this work on crosswalk export?

It should work on anything that can load json, though we haven't had a chance to test all exports. You can try with the plugin and the example file available in my signature and the original post of this thread. Please let me know if it works. If not, I'll take a look and I can probably fix it.

I see there are still javascript errors popping up when we try to test with spriter object on mobile browsers.
Also, didn't seem to get it to work with touch actions.

Unfortunately bit short on time right to indulge in more testing, so I just went ahead and purchased 'spriter pro' :)
But I believe you guys are working towards ensuring that animations work on mobile release on games too and not just desktop/browser based games?

I'll be looking forward to use spriter heavily :)
Krish
Hey! Did you know that you can hire me to make your games?

Click Here to See More
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:35 pm

PSI wrote:@lucid - have you further considered making it so that effects can be applied via the spriter object itself?

I must have misunderstood you at some point, or vice versa, but it will not be possible to put effects directly on the scml object until some long term future point when the plugin is made to have the option of not using separate sprites for each body part. The feature I thought we had most recently discussed was temporarily disabling scml object control of an object's angle, position, scale, etc. Things are still extremely busy at the moment on several fronts, so I can't commit to when that will happen, but it's fairly high up on the priority list.

tumira wrote:@lucid

I would like to report a performance inconsistency bug ?

I hope you can fix this.

Thanks for the helpful capx, that saved me a ton of time diagnosing it. I see plenty of room for optimization that should help make this alot faster, but unfortunately as above, I can't commit to a timeframe just yet. There's a bit more than anticipated that will keep us busy for the month of December, so aside from small fixes, or very small features I won't be able to do much on the plugin front, and the optimizations for this are pretty involved. The good news is they should also make the plugin perform better on the ram front as well at all times when multiple instances of the same object are involved, and not just when creating and destroying.

krish wrote:I see there are still javascript errors popping up when we try to test with spriter object on mobile browsers.

Thanks for reporting the issue. If you can tell me which browsers, which OS, which export option, and what errors, once I have some time to look into this, the more information I have, the quicker I can find the problem.

krish wrote:Also, didn't seem to get it to work with touch actions.

I've seen a strange error or two in the past where one thing was able to affect something that it shouldn't, but generally the scml plugin shouldn't be able to affect another plugin or behavior like that, unless you're saying you were trying to use a touch action directly with the scml object, in which case for now it would be best to either define a collision box in Spriter that you want to be touchable, or an invisible sprite in C2, or one of the individual sprites depending on your needs.

krish wrote:I believe you guys are working towards ensuring that animations work on mobile release on games too and not just desktop/browser based games?

Definitely. The idea is to make it work as well as possible, as widely as possible.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:25 am

@lucid - the reason I keep requesting that feature is that I could, for example, apply the hue effect to specific instances, easily giving much more variety in appearance to my spriter animations in C2.
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:26 am

@PSI, I understand it would be useful, but the plugin is controlling separate separate sprites, so there's no direct way to do that.

I just tried to do it myself with events, using the group and the family, which I thought was possible. It still may be, but it's more confusing than it should be. When I have some time, what I will try to do is add a For Each Sprite condition, or Pick All Sprites condition or both. I'm not sure if the plugin SDK let's you choose objects as family members, but if so, this would work very well for a variety of situations.
Last edited by lucid on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:11 am

@lucid I'm having an awful lot of trouble updating to the latest version.. I don't know if it's something I'm doing, or what.. The download doesn't start automatically, so I clicked the links here: http://brashmonkey.com/download_spriter_pc.htm (on a 64-bit machine) which got me some windows redistributables. When I run those, it tells me to "Please resolve the following: A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine."

Meanwhile, Spriter is crashing on me and not saving my last few changes sometimes...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:13 am

spacedoubt wrote:@lucid I'm having an awful lot of trouble updating to the latest version.. I don't know if it's something I'm doing, or what.. The download doesn't start automatically, so I clicked the links here: http://brashmonkey.com/download_spriter_pc.htm (on a 64-bit machine) which got me some windows redistributables. When I run those, it tells me to "Please resolve the following: A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine."

Meanwhile, Spriter is crashing on me and not saving my last few changes sometimes...

What download doesn't start automatically? EDIT: Found it. Thanks for reporting this. We recently overhauled our site, and there's a few bugs we haven't caught. It will be fixed shortly.

The windows redistributables are only if you weren't able to run Spriter at all and were getting dll errors. Basically if it launches at all, you don't need to bother with the dlls.

Did the crashes start with the new version (r2)? What's happening when the crash occurs? Is it always a certain project that crashes?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:13 pm

@lucid The crashes are on R1, which is why I mentioned it with the update problem. I didn't want to be reporting bugs you already fixed, but I can't figure out how to get R2.

It was kind of weird, it seems like I didn't get crashes for a while.. and then I did.. I noticed that if I had an object selected and hit play, that a lot of times it would get stuck, seemingly because it's trying to update the properties each frame.. and if I had more than one object selected and hit play it'll hang every time. Sometimes it eventually catches up, but a lot of times it just crashes the program.

And to answer the last question, I've only been working in one project (+ copies and backups, but essentially the same), so that's all I know it's crashing on.

I'm loving the program, nonetheless, though!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks @spacedoubt. The manual download link still works for me, but here is a direct link.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General