Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:13 am

Stacking two Spriter objects worked for me for now. I managed to just put them into a family and fade out/in whichever one I want. Definitely looking forward to some built-in animation fading though, as it can make some transitions a lot more elegant looking :) Thanks!
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:14 pm

@lucid - a couple of thoughts - today I was thinking it would be cool if you could put a background image in the spriter window (perhaps jpg to keep the file small?). That would allow you to export gifs and screenshots with more interesting, context appropriate backgrounds. The other question is, using character maps, would it be possible to spawn say a certain type of enemy and randomize which body parts are used, making a great variation in the enemies would look? One last thing - I'm still wanting to be able to change effects applied to particular instances. That would allow me to create much more variety just by, for instance, changing the hue of an enemy character. It would allow for easy creation of bosses, etc. Thanks, Morgan.
B
S

Post » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:20 pm

@lucid - I've just come across something odd which I think might be a bug.
I've attached the capx file which I've used to demonstrate it.

To demonstrate the issue, press any key when the capx has loaded and you'll see an icon appear in the middle of the screen. It shows a #1 but it should show #2
All I'm doing is applying a character map when the object is created.
You'll see that once there is an existing object on the screen and you press any key again then it sets the character map correctly.

I had a quick look to see if there was anything glaringly obvious in the code but I'm not entirely familiar with the Construct SDK. All I could think of is that it's not populating the c2ObjectArray array prior to the calling of the appendCharMap function, but I'm probably way off base :)

In the meantime as a workaround, I'm creating the object at the start of the level, off the screen so it's already preloaded the character maps. Seems to work ok for now.

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:24 pm

PSI wrote:@lucid - a couple of thoughts - today I was thinking it would be cool if you could put a background image in the spriter window (perhaps jpg to keep the file small?). That would allow you to export gifs and screenshots with more interesting, context appropriate backgrounds.

With the pro version you can choose a watermark for the background or foreground when exporting, though you don't have total control over the exact location. Eventually, some of the longer term features planned for Spriter should make it easy to do something like this, though.

The other question is, using character maps, would it be possible to spawn say a certain type of enemy and randomize which body parts are used, making a great variation in the enemies would look?

You could do this. You would have to setup events to handle randomly applying the actions to add character maps, but that's definitely one of the things I envision people using character maps for.

One last thing - I'm still wanting to be able to change effects applied to particular instances. That would allow me to create much more variety just by, for instance, changing the hue of an enemy character. It would allow for easy creation of bosses, etc. Thanks, Morgan.

Yes. Unfortunately I can't give an ETA as I already missed the previous. Aside from minor bug fixes, everything plugin related is going to happen after I adapt it to use the reference implementation I'm still working on.

Zacros wrote:@lucid - I've just come across something odd which I think might be a bug.
I've attached the capx file which I've used to demonstrate it.

To demonstrate the issue, press any key when the capx has loaded and you'll see an icon appear in the middle of the screen. It shows a #1 but it should show #2

Thanks for the helpful capx and bug report. That is definitely a bug. I will put it on the todo list.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Awesome program!!! : -)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:24 pm

Can somebody answer me, what are the best settings (visually) for a spriter project and how to prepare my assets correctly? I tried spriter in a test project, but the output ingame is not so smooth (i mean not the animation speed, the animation works very smooth), but the images are jagged or blurred. Is it better to import my images very big in spriter and scale down in C2?
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:55 am

@Lucid
I posted back in dec (page 129 of this thread) I did manage to solve the problem. Seems to have been a corupt file. Reverted back to a much earlier version of my project. With both the latest updates of Spriter and the plugin it's working fine. I tried to recreate the problem. again and again without any luck. I must have corrupted the file some how. Thanks for your help regardless everything is ok now:)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:04 pm

odiusfly wrote:Awesome program!!! : -)

Thanks!

Chupup Games wrote:Can somebody answer me, what are the best settings (visually) for a spriter project and how to prepare my assets correctly? I tried spriter in a test project, but the output ingame is not so smooth (i mean not the animation speed, the animation works very smooth), but the images are jagged or blurred. Is it better to import my images very big in spriter and scale down in C2?

Are you importing using the scml plugin or exporting to pngs from Spriter and importing those?

MelVin wrote:@Lucid
I posted back in dec (page 129 of this thread) I did manage to solve the problem. Seems to have been a corupt file. Reverted back to a much earlier version of my project. With both the latest updates of Spriter and the plugin it's working fine. I tried to recreate the problem. again and again without any luck. I must have corrupted the file some how. Thanks for your help regardless everything is ok now:)

Glad everything's working now. Thanks for the update.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

@lucid: i am using the scml plugin and the latest version of spriter
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Hmm. The scml plugin uses regular C2 sprites to assemble your character, so the images should look the same quality as any C2 sprites. Just make sure they are large enough to look good when your game zooms in (if it does), and they should work fine. It's also possible you have point sampling in your project properties. Please let me know if this helps.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General