Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Hey @lucid thanks for the update! It seems to work great aside from one thing: character maps. I've used them plenty of times before, but I can't seem to get any character maps to appear in C2. It always just shows the default. I've e-mailed you a minimal C2 example showing it so you don't have to, but choosing to append a character map does nothing with the new rendering method.
B
90
S
32
G
14
Posts: 935
Reputation: 14,540

Post » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:06 am

C-7 wrote:Hey @lucid thanks for the update! It seems to work great aside from one thing: character maps. I've used them plenty of times before, but I can't seem to get any character maps to appear in C2. It always just shows the default. I've e-mailed you a minimal C2 example showing it so you don't have to, but choosing to append a character map does nothing with the new rendering method.


?
I don't have that issue using the new rendering method though. And I use charactermaps for nearly everything.
Did you do a "clear all charactermaps" first before appending charactermaps?
B
36
S
18
G
11
Posts: 248
Reputation: 8,694

Post » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:02 pm

C-7 wrote:Hey @lucid thanks for the update! It seems to work great aside from one thing: character maps. I've used them plenty of times before, but I can't seem to get any character maps to appear in C2. It always just shows the default. I've e-mailed you a minimal C2 example showing it so you don't have to, but choosing to append a character map does nothing with the new rendering method.

hey @C-7. I took a look at your capx. The issue is that the file hasn't been loaded yet at start of layout, so it doesn't yet have the character maps to append. If you change 'Start of Layout' to scml - 'On Initialized' it works as expected.
Spriter Dev
B
87
S
21
G
12
Posts: 3,240
Reputation: 16,461

Post » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:09 pm

lucid wrote:
C-7 wrote:Hey @lucid thanks for the update! It seems to work great aside from one thing: character maps. I've used them plenty of times before, but I can't seem to get any character maps to appear in C2. It always just shows the default. I've e-mailed you a minimal C2 example showing it so you don't have to, but choosing to append a character map does nothing with the new rendering method.

hey @C-7. I took a look at your capx. The issue is that the file hasn't been loaded yet at start of layout, so it doesn't yet have the character maps to append. If you change 'Start of Layout' to scml - 'On Initialized' it works as expected.


Oh duh! I should have thought of that! Thanks a ton.
B
90
S
32
G
14
Posts: 935
Reputation: 14,540

Post » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:50 am

Found yet another bug with this program. If you have triggers such as sound triggers or event triggers and keyframes (presumably during the same time as a trigger) with the easing curve set to "instant" the triggers will activate many times. You can test this by just making a CAPX with a sound real quick and trying it, but if you really need a CAPX we'll try to get one over when we can

I really just wanted to warn the public of this because it caused us endless amounts of grief, I debugged the game, plugin, SCON file, and SCML file, possibly in that order, I don't even remember anymore, and I only found the issue by using super-old-fashioned debugging methods I've been using for almost half my life, lol. It should have been much more obvious, but sometimes when you assume two things are unrelated, or make changes you *think* are small, surprises come up. XP
B
9
S
4
Posts: 27
Reputation: 727

Post » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:23 pm

BBaller1337 wrote:Found yet another bug with this program. If you have triggers such as sound triggers or event triggers and keyframes (presumably during the same time as a trigger) with the easing curve set to "instant" the triggers will activate many times. You can test this by just making a CAPX with a sound real quick and trying it, but if you really need a CAPX we'll try to get one over when we can

I really just wanted to warn the public of this because it caused us endless amounts of grief, I debugged the game, plugin, SCON file, and SCML file, possibly in that order, I don't even remember anymore, and I only found the issue by using super-old-fashioned debugging methods I've been using for almost half my life, lol. It should have been much more obvious, but sometimes when you assume two things are unrelated, or make changes you *think* are small, surprises come up. XP

Just to be sure, this is a bug with the plugin, not the program, right?
Spriter Dev
B
87
S
21
G
12
Posts: 3,240
Reputation: 16,461

Post » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

lucid wrote:
BBaller1337 wrote:Found yet another bug with this program. If you have triggers such as sound triggers or event triggers and keyframes (presumably during the same time as a trigger) with the easing curve set to "instant" the triggers will activate many times. You can test this by just making a CAPX with a sound real quick and trying it, but if you really need a CAPX we'll try to get one over when we can

I really just wanted to warn the public of this because it caused us endless amounts of grief, I debugged the game, plugin, SCON file, and SCML file, possibly in that order, I don't even remember anymore, and I only found the issue by using super-old-fashioned debugging methods I've been using for almost half my life, lol. It should have been much more obvious, but sometimes when you assume two things are unrelated, or make changes you *think* are small, surprises come up. XP

Just to be sure, this is a bug with the plugin, not the program, right?


Yeah, presumably so, as it only happens in C2 and the SCML/SCON files look fine.
B
9
S
4
Posts: 27
Reputation: 727

Post » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Hey @lucid!

Man we're keeping you buys these days. I have a quick question for you. I used instant tweening on an animation in order to get less smooth movements for my overworld character in this proof of concept here:
http://threesevenhosting.com/builds/rover/6-16-2016/

and while the animation looks smooth in spriter, the animation (particularly the left and right walking animation) jumps quite a bit in game. Here's a look at the scml playing, as well as the events I'm using for playing animations and syncing them with an invisible dummy sprite.

edit I guess this gif is kind of choppy...
Image
Image

Maybe my problem is in implementation? I even tried to key the very last frame on the timeline, but no luck. at least not on my side.

anyways thanks man!
B
57
S
15
G
7
Posts: 365
Reputation: 7,384

Post » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:36 pm

BBaller1337 wrote:
lucid wrote:
BBaller1337 wrote:Yeah, presumably so, as it only happens in C2 and the SCML/SCON files look fine.

Thank you. I will look into it.

mudmask wrote:while the animation looks smooth in spriter, the animation (particularly the left and right walking animation) jumps quite a bit in game. Here's a look at the scml playing, as well as the events I'm using for playing animations and syncing them with an invisible dummy sprite.

Maybe my problem is in implementation? I even tried to key the very last frame on the timeline, but no luck. at least not on my side.

The implementation looks fine, but just to rule out any bugs that I didn't notice, or narrow down the bugs to those particular actions, can you just put the animation in an empty project with no events and see if it plays correctly there?

If it doesn't, can you please screen record what the choppiness looks like at runtime?
Spriter Dev
B
87
S
21
G
12
Posts: 3,240
Reputation: 16,461

Post » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:58 pm

@lucid - good call on that, but it still had a stutter step for some reason.

here's a video of the animation itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH0sM5jb2mo

and here's a video of the demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IznI5Mn-g

Do I possibly have too many keyframes too close together or something?
B
57
S
15
G
7
Posts: 365
Reputation: 7,384

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests