Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:53 am

@lucid I have been having issues when bringing in my sprites. The issue is in sizing them, I want to size them proportionate to the rest of the objects in the layout, but I have to guess and the set the scaling. What is the best way to resize once they are imported? I can't make heads or tails of the pile of sprite parts that get shown in the layout editor in order to use them for some type of resizing or anything else. What is the best way to work with them visually in the layout? Or even using properties in Construct 2 to set the height and width (and keep proportions) in Construct 2?

I am also having issues trying to get my spriter imported sprite to function with the platform behavior. I don't know which object to assign it to, the family, the container the object...

The last piece is that the object seems to float above the ground for me once imported which tells me that the image point being used for the overall sprite needs to be moved, however, I can't figure out how to work with it to get it aligned correctly as the pile of parts that appear in Construct 2 doesn't lend itself well to sizing, adjusting image points (No idea where to even start on that one).

Sorry to flood you, I have been reporting Spriter bugs to you on the Spriter site, but have been waiting to report the ones I see when bringing the imported SCML into my construct projects. I figured this is the place to do it.

Thanks again for all your hard work!BluePhaze2013-04-17 08:55:44
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:07 am

Sent you a .capx showing the problems I've been having.

Also, less a bug report more of a question and/or feature request. Is there a way to get the name of the currently playing animation for the spriter object? When changing my existing sprite-based logic to use Spriter, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be one. That would be a pretty important addition when writing event logic around spriter objects.
B
S

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:01 am

Thanks for the bug reports and suggestions. I'll take a look at everything.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Found some more weird behavior today. It seems that if you play an animation to completion, the spriter object can't be repositioned after the animation has ended.

A simple way to show this is to make a spriter object with a non-looping animation (like a jumping animation) and use an always event to set its position to a platforming hitbox. When the jumping animation reaches its last frame, the sprite will freeze in midair instead of following the hitbox as it should, until it starts playing another animation at which point it will snap back into place.

Thanks for your continued work on this!
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 pm

@Squidget I found the same issue, I created a jump animation, and the animation is short as the character should just hold the finishing pose/frame until the jump ends. Instead what happens is that the character freezes in mid-air on the last frame of the animation and the hitbox keeps moving. Once the box hits the ground and the next animation is called, the sprites snap back to it. @Lucid is this an issue with the plugin?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am

yes it's an issue with the plugin
will look into this as well.

thanks for the continued bug reports.
lucid2013-04-20 00:01:43
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 am

update 4/21/13:
    Fixed issue where animations with objects on only some frames would leave a static object on screen when the object wasn't on the current frame
    Fixed bug where after a nonlooping animation completed, moving it would not update the sprites (scml object moved, sprites didn't)
    added 'animationName' expression to get the current animation name

@squidget, the issue with on initialized only working on certain layouts should be fixable by ensuring that the Scml File property of the plugin probably wasn't set to the correct file. This requires c2 code, so I have to speak with Ashley about a way to make it default to the same property for new instances. when you first import it does this automatically, but if you drag another instance into a new layout, you have to do it manually.

@jayderyu, the feature to replace sprites with alternate body parts, weapons, etc will arrive in the plugin after it's complete for the Spriter editor

@bluephaze, being able to resize them would be most useful if c2 allowed the file to be visually resized with the object showing on screen in c2. I have a few ideas how this could happen, but they require c2 code, so I'll speak to ashley about them. Also the part about the collisions will be best handled when collision features arrive in spriter. I'll prioritize those pro-features as one of the first. This is definitely essential stuff

We're caught up on bug fixes and requests as far as I know, so please continue to report anything you find or if I have missed something.lucid2013-04-21 11:38:00
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 am

@Lucid as usual great work, thanks a lot especially for being so responsive and keeping us all in the loop. I have no idea how you find time to update your plugins when you are doing so much on the core spriter build at the same time. Great work man!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:31 am

Thanks BluePhaze.

Small update on the other issues. Talked it over with Ashley. The issue with the extra layouts not automatically getting the file property set (not firing on_initialized) will be fixed in an upcoming C2 version. (the next I believe)

As far as being able to resize in the layout visually, it's going to require a little bit of thought, as it will most likely involve saving a little extra information to the file format, which I don't want to add without thinking it over carefully. I'll work this into one of the upcoming versions.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:01 am

I just installed the new SCML plugin. Unfortunatlly everything for animation is now broken.

The main menu animation now plays to the last key.
the 1second bar used for stamina never stops looping
the 5ms 5HP bar used for health never stops looping.

Is there something that may have gone wrong with using small animation times. ie 5ms to 10ms timers?

Or is the new SCML plugin more in sync with the latest Spriter software and I should re-save the scml files?jayderyu2013-04-25 06:02:37
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General