Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:09 am

[QUOTE=Yung] Need some help with the import process.
I tried it with lucid's monster example, and just by dragging the scml file, Construct imports it perfectly, creating all the containers and events. When I tried mine, it just creates the scml file without importing the sprites.

I tried to link it manually then but I got an error when I tried to run it.

Lucid: Any updates on Spriter? I would love to use with the plugin for my current project. If not, there's gonna be a lot of workaround.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I got that problem until I went into Spriter and gave a name for each object in the Persistent Objects panel. Double-click on the object, a little box appears, add a name. Rinse repeat until they all have names, then delete everything from your C2 file (the family, the .scml, the images, the files) and re-import it. If they show up in the editor, you have them named. Otherwise, you missed something. I hope that works!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 am

I apologize for the double-post, but I wanted to separate my problem from my previous response.

So I'm running into a strange problem with C2's Spriter implementation. I have the scml set to the position of a box sprite. That sprite has 8-dir movement. I use keyboard input to switch scml animations, and it works fine for moving from left to right. But if i switch to vertical movement, it leaves an after-image of at least SOMETHING. I can get around the after-image by, on startup, destroying the sprite object and then recreating it (thus, only one on screen). But then NOTHING shows up going up and down. Side to side works perfectly, though.

I made a stripped-down project just to see if there was any interference. Nope, same thing happens.

You can see the problem here: http://www.adamprack.com/spriterbug/

CAPX: http://www.adamprack.com/spriterbug/spriterbug.capx

I'm not sure if there's anything I'm doing wrong. And there aren't any errors that pop up, either.

Perhaps the "every object on every frame" applies globally and not per-animation?C-72013-01-11 04:54:33
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:15 am

This is a question about Spriter, sorry C-7 not trying to side rail here just looking for more info on the plug-in.

Will Spriter allow me to export my animation frames as a spritesheet? Or is that where the planned integration with TexturePacker comes into play?

I am not too worried at this point about the more advanced features for creating animation paths, etc... but just in taking certain frames and exporting them as a simple sprite sheet based on the animations I have crated in Spriter.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 pm

C-7: I did not see the reply you posted! Thanks alot! It fixed my issue! Now I could consider using Spriter for this. Once again, thanks alot!

EDIT: It seems sprites made with Spriter doesn't have a correct collision detection box. I tested both with touch and collison with object, and it seems the sprite's collision box is off....even after I tweaked them. Is that something I have to fix on Construct or Spriter?Yung2013-01-11 12:31:57
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 pm

@yung I don't know how complex of collision you need or if it must change per frame, but i just circumvent it by having an invisible solid box with my movement and tying the spriter character to that.

@BluePhaze you can do that now, it just isn't quite as simple. Go to file>save as png (away from computer, may be called something else), resize the box, and it will export every keyframe. It may not be all you need, but it's a start.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm

C-7: That's my initial idea as well, though if I do that, it will defeat the purpose of using Spriter in my project. I planned to have an enemy where you can destroy all the individual limbs and joints, and currently it's done manually per 'section'. It's tedious to setup, but I think I might have to fallback to this.

Thanks alot for the help!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi all. Sorry for my extended silence. Some non-Spriter/non-Brashmonkey issues have kept me from being too active recently. There will be options to adjust the main collision box(as well as separate animateable collision boxes) in the Spriter editor. The upcoming version will also eliminate the need to do anything extra(like name each item in Spriter) to make it work in C2.

@BluePhaze, turning the animation into a spritesheet will be done through texturepacker integration, but as far as using for c2. c2 does that behind the scenes with sprite objects from what I understand. If you export each full frame as an individual image (I think that's what you're asking), you will lose the benefit of using modular animation though.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:11 pm

lucid: good to hear about the collision option, but may I ask how soon such feature will be available?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for the reply, I don't want to export each frame as a seperate image, I want to export all the keyframes as a SpriteSheet in order to keep the benefits of having all the animation frames in a single sheet.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:12 pm

@BluePhaze: Spriter uses the keyframes as coordinates for the different sprites that compose your animated object.

Check again this example of use.
The "monster" is composed by several sprite objects, positioned and each displaying a specific set of textures.
What Spriter does is emulate the positions of each object in relation to the others in real time, according to the keyframes.

So a spritesheet containing the fixed positions of the character kind of defeats Spriter's purpose.
The textures of the monster WILL be in a spritesheet no matter what as mentioned in this article and if you use the correct image compression.
The character being composed of several sprites, there is one sprite for the head and its different "stances", one for the left arm, one for the right arm, etc...

The keyframes are nothing but datas that will be applied in realtime to transition from a stance of the character to another one (applying to each and every single sprite that composes the character).

I hope it makes things clearer.Kyatric2013-01-11 20:13:08
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General