Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 am

@lucid
It seems that Spriter animations doesn't export from C2 to exe with node-webkit.

Small question. Any idea how I could replace my high resolution images with lower resolution images by stretching them to match the size and use the same animations? I tried to edit the Spriter file in notepad by updating new dimensions for my pictures, but nothing changed. In Construct 2 I also tried to scale the images to match their original size, but that didn't help.nemo2013-01-16 13:33:04
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 am

Same result here as Nemo, doesn't work in root or in the cocoonJS android app... its still awesome though.
Also, Just bought a pre-order :) keep up the good work!
wookalar2013-01-17 06:37:15
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 pm

thanks nemo and wookalar,
I'll have more time to look into this after the very late upcoming update. For anyone interested in the upcoming update, here's the latest information, and screenshots:

Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 am

looks great, thanks for the updates!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 am

Hello Lucid,

I am purchasing Spriter Pro (Pre-Order) now. After seeing all it can do, etc... I wish I had been looking at this stuff last year and could have participated in the Kickstarter for this. You guys rock, great tool to really bring professional level animation systems to HTML5 based games.

I wanted to check with you on a question as well if you get a chance, do you guys have any metrics on resource saving on spriter animations vs. sprite sheets? For example using the jungle platformer sprite sheets as opposed to cutting the character into their composit parts and doing the same loops via spriter. I would love to see the per difference and project size savings along with the resource usage stats if at all possible.

I have 5 games currently in the pipeline and using Spriter for them will make a world of difference in the animations, I just need to be able to plan accordingly for the resource usage so I can better choose how many objects, sprites, etc... I should have in any one scene...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Just as a side-note, I did end up solving the previous problem with stuff leftover from previous animations. Anything that would have been a new object, I just make it a frame change of a previous object. Ah well, no biggie.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 am

Hello @BluePhaze,
the closest thing I have to hard numbers were these estimations from the Kickstarter video. I checked the vram of the exported pngs using frame by frame animations to that of the Spriter based animation, and multiplied to get the higher frame numbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPVR41j9LXE&feature=player_detailpage#t=216s

I didn't use a benchmarking beyond simple vram queries, and it's probably a little more complicated to get an accurate number than just multiplying, but the basic idea stands.

The best way I can explain it is visually. Here's a spritesheet: (
(original link: http://www.fabiobiondi.com/blog/2012/08/createjs-zoe-create-spritesheets-in-adobe-flash-for-easeljs/)

look at the spritesheet as the cost of vram. In Spriter, you could recreate the same animation from roughly this amount of vram:

With traditional sprite sheets, if you wanted to make the animation twice as smooth, you would have to double the size of the spritesheet, which would take up roughly twice as much vram. With Spriter, it can tween as many frames as the engine can handle in realtime(usually over 60 on any recent device) while still using the same amount of vram.

You could of course add variations of body parts for different facial expressions or turning the head, and make a much more complex character, animating at 60 frames per second, and still use less vram.

It comes at the cost of a little cpu power, and some ram to hold the animation info, but vram is usually in very short supply in 2d games, while cpu power and system ram aren't. This is why games animated with modular animation like Odin Sphere and An Elysian Tail can have such large and smoothly animated characters.lucid2013-01-20 08:05:54
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:15 am

Seriously???
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:42 pm

for this particular animation/character yes,
because all the frames are made up of those parts. But even in a more complex character, the vram savings are just as massive
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:49 pm

This Spriter looks amazing!.one question,will a game using the plugin,be allowed submission to the Scirra arcade?...Thanks.
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General