Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 12, 2014 9:23 pm

@lucid : I was wondering something, Since the Spriter plugin imports every part as a different sprite, rather than the same, it does not take benefit of C2's spritesheeting (and since if one of them is present, the others are too, it seems kind of weird to me).

Was there a reason behind that, or is it just the way it is?
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 12, 2014 9:56 pm

@Aphrodite - the reason is to allow you to have actions, expressions, and conditions running on individual body parts, and also to put effects on individual body parts. If a body part switches out images they are imported as separate frames for the same sprite, and those images are spritesheeted.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 12, 2014 9:58 pm

You gain a lot for the loss of the spritesheet. You have individual sprites, but at the same time you don't have duplicates of them frame after frame after frame which saves way more room than spritesheeting would if I am looking at it correctly...
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks for your awnser, that makes more sense now ^^
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Lucid talked about it a bit a while back, in frame by frame you have basically an entire copy of the character or object (sprite) in each frame. That means for each frame you are basically multiplying the amount of space those images use. For a Spriter animation you have a group of sprites that together combined for the amount of file space as roughly one frame of animation. And then you have limitless animations you can create with it and no extra file size, etc... for doing so. It is a great way of doing things efficiently.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 13, 2014 3:41 am

BluePhaze is that the same spritesheeting in the reference. you can still put the parts of the animation onto an ATLAS. That way the atlas can be used by the webgl renderer for more effeciency. And personally i'm still not convinced that Spriter couldn't use an atlas. An object is not the same as an image. An image can use a frame/UV coordinates of an atlas(that C2 creates) to be more efficient. Where as Spriter treats every single object, and c2 treats all different objects as a different texture for the renderer. Which is unessecarry overhead.

Personally I think C2 should use more use of atlas-ing. But that's just me.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 am

jayderyu wrote:BluePhaze is that the same spritesheeting in the reference. you can still put the parts of the animation onto an ATLAS. That way the atlas can be used by the webgl renderer for more effeciency. And personally i'm still not convinced that Spriter couldn't use an atlas. An object is not the same as an image. An image can use a frame/UV coordinates of an atlas(that C2 creates) to be more efficient. Where as Spriter treats every single object, and c2 treats all different objects as a different texture for the renderer. Which is unessecarry overhead.

Personally I think C2 should use more use of atlas-ing. But that's just me.

Since the plugin controls other sprite objects, rather than handling image storage and draw operations itself, there's nothing the plugin would do to change how the atlases work.

plugin changelog 5/13/14
  • Added support for default pivot points in character maps
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 pm

@lucid I have a question, I have done an animation in spriter, it is 512 pixels tall aprox. and when I import it to construct, I can't re-size it, it just stays at the original size even if I change the size in the canvas, when I run de layout it stays at the same size. is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

And by the way, spriter is such a nice application, thanks for doing it, I bought it yesterday.

excuse my poor english, is not my native language.
B
S

Post » Tue May 13, 2014 8:59 pm

@josiascaignard you can use events to change the scaling ,etc... in C2 for your spriter objects.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 13, 2014 9:16 pm

josiascaignard wrote:@lucid I have a question, I have done an animation in spriter, it is 512 pixels tall aprox. and when I import it to construct, I can't re-size it, it just stays at the original size even if I change the size in the canvas, when I run de layout it stays at the same size. is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

And by the way, spriter is such a nice application, thanks for doing it, I bought it yesterday.

excuse my poor english, is not my native language.

BluePhaze is correct as well, but the plugin should also have been setting the initial scale according to any changes you made to the scale of the scml object in the layout. This was a bug, fixed in today's update (thanks for the bug report):

plugin changelog 5/13/14
  • Added support for default pivot points in character maps
  • Fixed a bug that wasn't adjusting the initial scml object scale according to changes in the scml object's scale in the layout
  • Fixed a bug where projects where multiple entities shared names for their objects weren't importing correctly. Will work in conjunction with an addition to the next Spriter beta release
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General