Spriter/C2 update 11/2 bug fix for performance mode

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:21 am

I'm having a problem where the pixel art mode spriter file works fine on Node Webkit but there is some weird resampling and resizing on CocoonJS
Edit: Nvm seems to be a more general problem after updating C2 to 170 the preview works fine but the actual exported things are broken.
B
S

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:57 pm

@Roccinio
@jayderyu
The reason we chose to go with separate objects is so you could call events and actions on individual body parts. You can change opacity or add shaders to any object. You could make a giant boss who has 'solid' behavior platforms for arms you can run on top of as it moves and rearranges the 'level'.

For small items like coins if they're becoming an issue on mobile, you can use Spriter to bake out to individual pngs a smooth number of frames to the desired size. For small coins, a smooth number of frames shouldn't be too costly, and you can use the Spriter animations specifically for characters and other larger animations.

Also, just to clarify Roccinio, it makes a C2 object for each Spriter object, not each png. So if your arm sprite swaps between 20 pngs in Spriter, it will still only create one arm sprite for each instance in C2.

In any case, I'll see what else I can do to optimize, and thanks for the feedback.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions.
For me this situation is a very rare case of raising the bar so high that you fall victim of your own success!
Once i've seen the quality of my animations running real time by using your plugin i just cant go back to PNG'S!
For my coins to even remotely show that same silky smooth animation using png's i need to export about 160 of them.
you have spoiled us so bad that for me personally i just cant go back!
So take this as a huge compliment : once you go Spriter you never go back :)

The idea of using separate objects is really smart and i use it for my main character to block or to attack.
But on the same time adding so many objects if you only want to use scml files is troubling since there are quite few systems... that cannot handle the extra object load ,
and as i explained earlier you lose so much quality using the traditional system that it is just heart breaking to see this happening.
Is there a possibility to create 2 versions of scml files on import?
one to include all the bells and whistles and one that just tweens and you only have control over its animations without it having the object overhead?
Just an idea.i don't know if it makes any sense but i had to try!
cheers
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

@ludic
That is a good idea and glad that was thought of. As a possible thought solution might you consider.

Instance variable the C2Sprite with SpriterName which values to the SpriterObjectName. That way we can use
Compare Instance Variable = SpriterObjectName.
Then that way we can still independently move the parts while still getting some nice benefits of fewer individual Spriter/SpriteObjects.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 pm

lucid wrote:@Roccinio
@jayderyu
The reason we chose to go with separate objects is so you could call events and actions on individual body parts. You can change opacity or add shaders to any object. You could make a giant boss who has 'solid' behavior platforms for arms you can run on top of as it moves and rearranges the 'level'.

For small items like coins if they're becoming an issue on mobile, you can use Spriter to bake out to individual pngs a smooth number of frames to the desired size. For small coins, a smooth number of frames shouldn't be too costly, and you can use the Spriter animations specifically for characters and other larger animations.

Also, just to clarify Roccinio, it makes a C2 object for each Spriter object, not each png. So if your arm sprite swaps between 20 pngs in Spriter, it will still only create one arm sprite for each instance in C2.

In any case, I'll see what else I can do to optimize, and thanks for the feedback.

the smcl demo2 zip not woring walking for me (just moving and no animation ) ??
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:20 am

Can't use plugin. When I want to test my layout, I see error.
I use example of grey guy from head-message of this thread.

browser internet explorer 11. In firefox I see the same problem.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:12 pm

@n06rin , please make sure you're using the latest version of the plugin.

@istavang , where is this demo linked from? Also, if you're not already, please make sure you're using the latest version (beta) of c2 and the plugin.

@Roccinio and @jayderyu . I thought of a way we can have the best of both worlds without Ashley having to change the importer. I understand both of you are using scml/c2 in current projects, so I want to preface this by saying I don't have any ETA on this as there's quite a bit on my plate at the moment, but it's definitely doable.

I won't go into details until they're relevant and I have something for you to test, but basically there could be another 'Advanced' action, and it would make the plugin go into a drawing mode where it stops creating and moving instances, and the importer would use an alternate type of save that would pack all images into a single sprite, and then all of the scml instances could get the necessary images from that sprite's type, or a single instance of that sprite if needed.
Last edited by lucid on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:43 pm

@lucid
Sounds really interesting. Almost like some form of image library. Looking forward to seeing. You have been doing an amazing job on the project.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:55 pm

lucid wrote:@n06rin , please make sure you're using the latest version of the plugin.

@istavang , where is this demo linked from? Also, if you're not already, please make sure you're using the latest version (beta) of c2 and the plugin.

@Roccinio and @jayderyu . I thought of a way we can have the best of both worlds without Ashley having to change the importer. I understand both of you are using scml/c2 in current projects, so I want to preface this by saying I don't have any ETA on this as there's quite a bit on my plate at the moment, but it's definitely doable.

I won't go into details until they're relevant and I have something for you to test, but basically there could be another 'Advanced' action, and it would make the plugin go into a drawing mode where it stops creating and moving instances, and the importer would use an alternate type of save that would pack all images into a single sprite, and then all of the scml instances could get the necessary images from that sprite's type, or a single instance of that sprite if needed.

downloaded from c2 tut and have the latest plugin , cool if u name plugin update version somehow :)

i got it working animating , but not with your capx code , I dont know ? i just noticed it when running it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

thanks @jaydertu

and thanks @istavang - we forgot to update the tut capx with the new save information. Will fix that soon.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General