Sprites and dynamic spritesheets

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sat May 30, 2009 10:12 pm

Well the system is made so I could easily create maps, not for reserving memory.
Each tile is 24x24, probably means it'll take a 32x32 memory of VRAM if what you guys say is true.
Since every map reloads the tilesheet I don't think it will overload the system too much, even of your computer is a tad old.
Another question though, guys: is it possible to encrypt archives with a password only the game has an access to, in order to store my files? Since almost nothing is reserved as a resource, I'd like to protect my files; I didn't find any password function within the ZIP object. So, what method could I use?
Thanks!
B
G

Post » Sun May 31, 2009 5:01 pm

There's no such function currently, but I wouldn't worry too much about people modifying resources of your game. Nothing is inpenetrable and it is the loss of an individual if they choose to change the art of a game.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 31, 2009 6:01 pm

But the game is going to be made as systems in constructs and resources outside: Maps, Graphics, Sounds, even Scripts; I don't want those to be easily modded, as people could build an entierly different game using this one's engine D:
B
G

Post » Sun May 31, 2009 6:14 pm

If you're really worried then put in some security measures like checking the file size or something. If any one of your files has been messed with, don't run the game.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If they break the game, they can't play it, and they have no one to blame but themselves. If they mod the game... well, no biggie. Put in a static title screen that will always show you were the original creator no matter what. It's not like people can claim they made the game then.

And even if people are modding your game, that means that they're so interested in it that they want to extend the life of your game. It should be taken as a compliment.

Hell, you could even be nice about it and show people how to mod your game. If you want. It's all a matter of perspective ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 31, 2009 6:50 pm

[quote="deadeye":29vb2vs6]If you're really worried then put in some security measures like checking the file size or something. If any one of your files has been messed with, don't run the game.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If they break the game, they can't play it, and they have no one to blame but themselves. If they mod the game... well, no biggie. Put in a static title screen that will always show you were the original creator no matter what. It's not like people can claim they made the game then.

And even if people are modding your game, that means that they're so interested in it that they want to extend the life of your game. It should be taken as a compliment.

Hell, you could even be nice about it and show people how to mod your game. If you want. It's all a matter of perspective ;)[/quote:29vb2vs6]

Hmm, I guess you're right. Thanks :)
And yes, I thought of releasing the editors at some point, when and if the project is released. I just don't like the idea of people reverse engineering the game D:
B
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic