Stages of building a game

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Isometric Stategy Roleplay Game Building and Streets Pack.
  • Hi All

Can you share from your experience, what would be the stages of building a game?

is there a right way to build a game?

is it better to start the building process right ahead? or some of you start with the art?

if you have tips and tricks I will be happy to hear

Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The way I've been doing it as least with my current project.

I work on a batch of features at a time. Could be a bunch of small things or a more full release with two or three major implementations like a camera system or new usable items. I keep a txt log where I document changes, and go from build to build like 'pre-alpha build 0.3'. Keep building said builds until you feel you're ready for a stable release, whether for real or get people to help squash bugs you've found in the current build.

• I would always say work on the core mechanic using crude placeholder sprites, if the game is fun/works, then the art time is justified. I think I would change that rule only if the art was essential to the mechanic. Once core mechanic is fine, move onto next accessory mechanics.

• DankP3 is right. It's a common method to start with placeholder images. Also, don't forget to keep your ideas/notes/workflow organized. Use Trello ( https://trello.com/ ) or something similar.

• I would consider that the stages for game development go like this

Prototyping: Core mechanics

At this stage there is no game fluff. It's only testing out the basic mechanic and find out it it's fun. It's also the stage that let's you find out the hurdles of designing the mechanic. This is also the stage to try out the mechanic with friends to get an opinion on their experience. That way you can also fine tune the mechanic. Also try out multiple mechanics separately if the core idea isn't alone in the game concept.

Pre development

Plan out how the core mechanic will be designed know that you know the complexities. Find simpler ways to build the core mechanic for being used in a flexible manner. Also start planning out how the fluff interacts with your game. It's a good idea to document this for reference.

Alpha Development

Grey box the UI and Meta features

A lot of people will go from mechanic prototype and then wrap around the meta/ui and other features. This is a bad idea. Start by building up your menu's, and game design flow.

Build up your data model and data interaction

Some games require changing data. Such as persistent leveling. Level information whatever it might be. Make sure this is designed. You can go back and make changes as required.

Rebuild your core game mechanics into the the system

That old version you prototyped. Scrap it. learn from it. As your building your new one you know are integrating it into the rest of the game. You have laid down everything else. So now the actual game mechanic can be built on a solid foundation.

Integrating graphics and audio

Once all of this is in place start implementing the graphics, audio and other stuff.

Beta Development

At this point start having people test your game. get feed back. Make changes to improve the game. Release when done.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)