Star Nomad 2, Updated Trailer!

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 am

@Silverforce

This is looking really good, a massive improvement on the first game and I loved playing that
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 am

Looks great man! :) Only thing I´d suggest, is to make the background a bit darker...:)
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:42 am

Beaverlicious wrote:Looks great man! :) Only thing I´d suggest, is to make the background a bit darker...:)

Thanks, I had a few feedback so far in that line of thought.

The BG and planet sprites are actually place holders. Lots of things need to be improved yet!

I had a friend point out my Beams end abruptly and they were right, so I fixed it with a gradient and it looks heaps better in action.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:31 am

Lots of progress on the faction AI.

Also made a ship damaged effect system, smoke, fires & sparks.

Time to work on the merchant trading & combat AI!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:15 am

That looks really good. Reminds me of Homeworld series, which is really nice.

There is one thing that bothers me though. I am not sure why, but some of your background elements have a washed out, grey look to them. Maybe it has to do with the filter that you use or it can be in your source files, but the colors looked washed out to me. If you are going for a nebula look, then I guess it will be better if you add more colors and go for overlay.
B
S

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:36 am

@Darth Crusher
Thanks, II is going to be lots better, luck willing. :D

@atomoso

Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't fully experimented with the parallax dust clouds yet, I'm re-using the ones I had for Star Nomad, which is just a grey/black cloud on 20-40% opacity to generate depth with parallax. Will throw in fancy colors or more refined patches later.

The background is quite sharp (2048 x 2048) but once the layers are on top (in systems that are meant to be nebulas) it does get washed out.

This is without the dust layers, its pretty sharp and loses the sense of depth with the additional parallax layers. I'll look to use colored dust patches for non nebula systems so that it gives the impression of depth when movement is occurring. Planets are place holder for code. Only final art are ships.

Green No Dust.jpg

And here's without the top parallax dust layer, ships are clearer & more vibrant but the background is toned down as well as retaining 2 deep parallax layer for depth. This would be most systems. Nebula systems have an additional layer on top of ships.

Green Some Dust.jpg

I don't like having a stark naked BG its just too distracting. I prefer it to be very dark or faded so the focus is on ships.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 am

Very minimalistic in-flight UI for ship targeting.

New fleet video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGSQO0Pk8Bg

Hopefully not too amateurish, I have a very bad flair for UIs. :/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Like the ui apart from the font. Could do with something a bit more futuristic looking
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Darth Crusher wrote:Like the ui apart from the font. Could do with something a bit more futuristic looking

Don't know which to settle with though. The fancy futuristic looking ones tend to distract.

I recently played Shadow Run and its font was quite standard (I swear it looks like some derivative of Arial!!) but works really well, its clear, sharp and obvious, never distracting from me obtaining the info asap.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:25 am

Can't decide on a few UI elements:

1. Character portrait, use bigger size one to form the background for the shields/hull bars & selection toggle (1st/top char) or smaller version like 2nd & 3rd char (place holder from first game!)?

2. Comms chatter, should it be a text bubble from the character portraits on the side, or just floating text above their ships (Like in Fallout 1/2)?

Thoughts?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests