Star Nomad 2, Updated Trailer!

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:22 pm

It looks really good :) i like space games in general, but sadly there is not a whole lot of good ones out there.

Only thing would comment on, is the movement behaviour of the ships. Kinda looks like its cars moving around, maybe make it so they move according to the engine-thrusters. So you would need side-way thruster to pan left and right etc. :D

Keep up the good work, im gonna start following your progress.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:58 pm

@CrudeWall
I have side thrusters for all the AI ships originally, it was a continuous stream, but I wanted to save some CPU cycles so I cut it down to only fire once per turning initiation. It doesn't look as obvious.

For the player & squad ships, the side-thrusters are continuous streams, fire left to turn right & vice versa.

This one is earlier on, but you can see the movement & thrusters for the AI in action. Note that it fires the side thrusters only once per turning maneuver initiation.

Video of a major 3 faction battle:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzblvP ... NseTg/view

Let me know if you got more feedback!
Last edited by Silverforce on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:02 pm

@Silverforce

I see :) Then i guess you got that covered as well. ^^
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Beautiful concept, and very beautiful immersive environment created. I confess I have a bit of trouble to create space objects and spacecraft in pixel art, but space concept has always attracted me enough then I admire the games made with this theme :)
Open for Commission, contact email > [email protected]

my personal website with news in my game developer adventure! |

adult ( 18) pixel art games
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:05 am

@gillenew Thanks, but I suck worse at pixel art, I don't even understand how all you guys manage to make so few pixels look so cool. :p

Finally finished the AI Conquest system as well as lots of random Global Events.

Also the dynamic Star Map!

Lots more info on my devblog:
https://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/2 ... he-player/

The tiny fleet icons move & fight on the star map, firing weapons & little explosions! Going for more polish. :D

Also, I suck at making logos...

Best I could come up with:

Or

B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:46 am

Recently got these done,

Trading UI: I just noticed the lines are mis-aligned.. ew.

Loot UI: I re-used some of the trading UI functions to minimize duplication.

The loot table is randomized based on the faction & ship type. When players get the killing blow, they are eligible to loot the ejected cargo-pod.

And working on the NPC communication system. The goal is to make it very dynamic, what the NPCs have to say to you, takes into account your faction standing, reputation, global events (whether you contributed to it or not), local events & current status. Also the humor is pretty random. :) Hopefully it adds a good degree of immersion to see your actions are being noticed.

ie. If you complete a Bounty Hunt at some system, some of the NPCs will have something to say about it.

Once these individual elements are finished, the game is playable as a whole.

A few things remain on the to-do list:
* Contraband smuggling system, NPC patrol detection, and player is given option of paying a fine (& confiscation) or get into a firefight.
* Mining asteroids!
* Major additional content; the local random encounters. Lots and lots of scripted encounters for immersion & lolz.

Also have to do a Steam Greenlight soon.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 pm

This is really an impressive work!
It reminds me that game... oh yeah... Galaxy on Fire from Fishlabs! Have you tried it? Maybe there a few interesting game mechanics!

BTW: How long have you worked on this project (it looks very polished!)?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks! Galaxy on Fire is a spacesim, so its in the same genre (similar to Elite, Privateer, Escape Velocity, Star Control, Freelancer & Space Pirates & Zombies!). Though mine is more of a sandbox spacesim with squad combat, it's most similar to Star Sector.

Since January this year. Ideas and such were from the end of last year. It's basically all the things I wanted in the first Star Nomad, but was unable to do due to lack of C2 knowledge at the time. It's also all the things I want in a spacesim, so if it doesn't work out, at least I can enjoy playing it myself. :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:54 am

Just finished the last 2 core game mechanic!

Smuggling:

A very lucrative source of income for pilots brave (or crazy) enough to sneak pass law enforcement & military patrols. High risk, high reward is the name of the game here, with one successful smuggling trip raking in the credits!

Note that depending on the Faction, certain valid tradegoods are considered illegal so pay attention to the descriptions!

For smugglers unfortunate enough to run into the law, they have to quickly decide:

Choose to give up your cargo or try to make a run for it!

Obviously, any smuggler worth his spice is going make a mad dash to jump out of system.

If you make a run for it, you had better be good at dodging missiles or your ship engines are going to be knocked out, repeatedly, by EMP missiles.

Hopefully it’s a fun playstyle, with lots of tension but plenty of reward!

--------------------------------------

Mining:

In all lawless (un-colonized) systems, there are a variety of mineable asteroids for pilots to claim, all they need is to equip an active mining laser module.

Systems further away from civilized space yield better asteroids & ores, but also pose higher risk as the frequency of pirate traffic increases.

To mine, just target the asteroid, and activate your mining module. The graviton beam will focus and fragment chunks of precious ores, ready for pickup into the cargo hold.

All top tier (Mk3/4) modules as well as faction Ships require a certain number of the rarest ores, Gravonite & Elypsium, which are auto deposited (if you have any in your cargo) into your Universal Bank account upon docking at a port.

Besides mining to obtain these rare ores, they are also often dropped from tougher ship cargo and merchant vessels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Phew! Been a long haul, nearly there!
Now in the final phase of development, putting it all together, more polish & content (random encounters, think FTL or Fallout)!
Last edited by Silverforce on Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:46 pm

really nice
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests