Start Splash Layout..

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 am

I have a splash screen layout with a simple intro game instruction
screen that I run to start my game...

The user can click a "START GAME" button or "NEXT" button to continue thru the instructions...

QUESTION: What am I doing wrong???

While the SPLASH layout is loaded and running my GAME layout
is already STARTING and when I click the START GAME button it appears as if the GAME LAYOUT has been already running..

I have characters using a loop "On every X Seconds" that appears to have already executed prior to the GAME layout being viewed...
B

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:00 am

Just to clarify...

While my SPLASH layout runs..
My actual GAME layout appears to already be running...

When I START GAME, the game appears to be under way already...

????
B

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:04 am

Oh God ! Why don't you people understand ! We can't practise telepathy ! If you want help post a .capx that reproduce your problem or atleast a pic of your event sheet !Whiteclaws2012-12-18 01:05:20
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:07 am

Hey Whiteclaws, if you can't help, don't help..
I'm new here, so I apologize if I offend your experienced viewpoint..

I have a starting layout..
This layout is the FIRST thing a player will see..
This layout will explain the game concept..

When I click my START GAME button and go to my actual GAME layout.
The music is already playing and my enemy, which appears
"Every X Seconds" is already tossing objects..

So, it APPEARS that the actual game layout starts running
while I'm viewing the START / SPLASH layout...

I honestly don't know how to explain it any more clearly..
B

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:24 am

You could explained like that from the start ...
Make a variable " OnGameStarted " ( Starts with 0 )
And add this action to your " on clicked : Start Game ( Button ) "
Set " OnGameStarted " to 1

And add to all your events that start when the actual game layout starts
if "OnGameStarted" = 1

Also , Please take note that we are here to help you ... I'm not trying to be rude , but try to be at my place , I can't imagine your game in my mind ... I helped more than 100 buddies here and i'm really proud of myself !

Just ask , I'm here to help you ...

B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 am

White Claws Take a Chill. There is nobody here but us chickens and you were once a yolk too! Don't make us have to send you to your room and take away all of your exclamation points.
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:51 am

@Whiteclaws - I realize that's not what you intended, but the tone of exasperation comes off as unfriendly. I understand why you would be frusterated by people commonly not describing their problems enough for others to help them, but please don't vent those cumulative frustrations at anyone, as doing so could make people feel less welcome, and we certainly wouldn't want that! We're got a reputation as a friendly community to maintain. :)

It's a common mistake for people to make, ecpecially for users new to construct. Simply please ask them to explain in more detail and/or provide a capx.

@balistrerinick - even if it seems clear to tou, it might not be clear to us. Providing a capx and/or a screenshot of your code will help us help you. Please always provide them if possible, it makes things much easier.Arima2012-12-18 05:53:23
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 am

Hey Guys,

First, I want to thank everybody on C@ forums for any help/advice they offer.. I was using GameMaker up until about 2 weeks ago when I stumbled on Construct 2 and I LOVE IT..

I've been able to spend more time on my game and less time wrestling with the quirks and bugs of the environment..

Second, want to thank Whiteclaws for the suggestion regarding the use of a Global Variable instead of using the "On Start of Layout"..

Seems like the "On Start of Layout" should execute on the start of a layout, but ok...

So, moving my starting positions and music to a Global variable test condition worked..

However, I have an enemy sprite character that pops up on screen and throws objects based on the SYSTEM: "Every X Seconds" routine..
This routine appears to be already executing.. Again, upon clicking the START GAME button, the character has already begun tossing objects..

Any ideas about how I can start the "Every X Seconds" routine only upon CLICKING the START GAME button on my opening SPLASH screen?

One last thing, I'm honestly not sure what you all mean by capx...
B

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:33 am

By the way, what confuses me most in all this is that, I would assume that each layout screen and it's associated events would only begin executing when that layout is ACTIVATED..

I thought that using the "On Start of Layout" was the correct method..

So, ALL SYSTEM events occur on every layout even when they are not ACTIVE??

I guess I thought that each layout had it's own SYSTEM events that execute when that layout is ACTIVATED..

Any help ???
B

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 am

That just doesn't sound like correct behavior from the engine. I'd be curious to see your events, too, just to see what's going on. I've never had behavior like that out of my games.

And a .capx is the file extension for C2 files. On File>Save As ... You can choose to save as an all-in-one file (project.capx for example), or as a project with resource folders. If you save it as a capx, then you can share that single file and there won't be any file dependency issues. If you prefer it otherwise, don't worry, you can re-save to either format at any ime. I hope that helps!
B
S
G

Next

Return to How do I....?