startup errors caused by objects that exist

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
7 Errors
$15 USD
7 Errors is a game where you have to find the 7 mistakes before time runs out. Can you find all 7? Have fun looking.
  • Is there any reason for this? I'm tinkering with something, and some very specific set of sprite objects I added seem to be causing a problem when I try to test. I get about five or six 0xc0000005 error windows in a row before it finally goes away. I have to remove all of them before it stops doing so. Did I do anything wrong with them or is this a construct bug? I think it's already happened before in an earlier version of construct.

• The error code is a memory address. Have you tried it on any other computers or just the one? If the error exists on other computers then it's likely that either some funny events are causing the problem, or it could indeed be some kind of bug... if it only happens on your computer, you could have a RAM issue.

Post the .cap if you want so someone else can test it. I don't have Construct on this PC here right now, but I'm sure someone will give it a shot, or I can try later when I get onto my Construct computer.

~Sol

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No, an error code is an error code. I'm going to just wait until someone who knows what i'm talking about shows up and go from there... No it's not the computer and no it's not events because I haven't made any events for them. they all have physics behavior and a few have a custom collision, but it's obviously not the case because this is also the same for objects i created before and after these problem causing ones. What's also funny is that they were working before.

• The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.

It is a memory refrence.

I know this, because I am a technician. A really good technician.

*EDIT*

Why don't you post your .cap so I can check it out. I have a funny feeling about something.

~Sol

• Yeah, the best way to diagnose and fix this is a .cap file showing it; should be fairly simple then.

• I'd actually prefer not to for various reasons. Can I be told of any possible causes?

• If it's a bug in Construct it's too hard to do anything about it without the .cap file; you wouldn't go to a car mechanic and say "my car doesn't start, but I can't show it to you. Can you tell me what's wrong?". I advise you either make a fresh .cap file you're willing to share and upload that, or send it to me privately, or delete/remove behaviors and objects until it doesn't crash any more (then it was probably caused by whatever you deleted last).

• As i've said before, it only happens as I delete these specific objects. I've been adding obstacles in the form of immovable physics objects, since that's the only way I can currently do what I'm trying to do. Just now i've gone in and deleted EVERYTHING ELSE in this cap file but some objects that I had to remove to prevent the crash. It still crashes, so i've isolated it to those parts, and worked my way down from there.

It's apparently being caused by objects with these same characteristics: They use a custom collision, they're right triangles (and so is the collision), and their angle is NOT 0. I changed their angles to 0 and everything was fine. Then as an experiment I changed an object's angle back to what I had it at (90) and sure enough, it crashed again.

• what, is there no post editing feature? um... anyway, I did some more testing, and it seems to happen if I rotate the object 45 degrees or more. from -44 and 44, it's fine.

• 1. You only have the ability to edit your posts for a few minutes, so be careful what you post.

2. I am not able to recreate your crash. I did exactly what you described... I created a sprite, gave it physics behavior, gave it a custom collision mask (a right triangle), and rotated the sprite beyond 45 degrees. It runs fine.

This means there is something else wrong with your .cap. You should send your .cap to Ashley so he can have a look at it. Otherwise it won't get fixed.

• 1. You only have the ability to edit your posts for a few minutes, so be careful what you post.

2. I am not able to recreate your crash. I did exactly what you described... I created a sprite, gave it physics behavior, gave it a custom collision mask (a right triangle), and rotated the sprite beyond 45 degrees. It runs fine.

This means there is something else wrong with your .cap. You should send your .cap to Ashley so he can have a look at it. Otherwise it won't get fixed.

The strange thing is, you're exactly right. I tried it again in a new cap and it worked. I went back to the file I saved where I had deleted the offending objects and tried it again, and it's even working THERE now. I honestly don't know what happened, but I hope whatever it could be can be caught.

• This is why you should give your cap to Ashley, Cheez. So stop being a sissy Mary or I'll yell at you on IRC more.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)