Steam Beta crash on run

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Link to .capx file (required!):

(No .capx to include. This bug occurs before any project is loaded.)

Steps to reproduce:

1. In the properties for Construct 2 in Steam, opt into the Beta version.

2. When Construct is finished updating, start Construct.

3. A message appears telling you you have updated from r132 to r134. Do not view the revision notes.

Observed result:

A pop-up message appears that says "Construct 2 game creator has stopped working. A problem cause the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." The application will then shut down.

Workaround: Deleting the local content for Construct in Steam and reinstalling Construct will eliminate this problem temporarily. You can shut down and restart Construct multiple times after that with no issues. The problem seems to recur a number of hours later if you go to start Construct up again. (Even the prompt about updating from r132 to r134 will appear again, even if you haven't actually updated the software.)

Expected result:

Construct 2 starts up normally.

Browsers affected:

None

Operating system & service pack:

Windows Vista 32-bit (fully updated)

nVidia GeForce 8700M GT (SLI) -- updated graphics drivers

Construct 2 version:

r134 (beta)

• Not heard about this at all with the standalone version. I think it might be an issue caused by Steam...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • New data on this: For the first time, tonight I selected the "View Release Notes" option on the message that notifies me I've upgraded from r132 to r134. I never tried it before because I just assumed it would pull up a browser and then start Construct normally (and crash like it always had). It didn't crash.

Either something was different this time or there's something different in how Construct starts up when you choose to skip the release notes--probably something that interacts with some Steam-specific functionality?

I can't retest this scenario, from what I've been able to tell, until tomorrow. It takes time for it to get to the state where that message shows up again (which also seems peculiar, but maybe there's an explanation).

• We're on r135 now. Does the problem still reproduce with that version?

The Steam version is almost identical to the standalone version, and I haven't heard any other reports of this with the standalone one, so I believe it's either a problem with Steam, or a problem with your computer.

• That message only pops up the first time after updating, it probably repeated for you before, because it never saved that it was shown. After working once, it may not show again until the next update.

• Not happening with r135. I'll report if it shows up again, but seems like this can be closed. Thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)