Steam Direct Update

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:31 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/ ... 0652460726

Although they didn't specify when greenlight would officially halt, submissions would now be $100 USD per game which isn't bad.
Image
B
60
S
32
G
5
Posts: 118
Reputation: 8,325

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Aaaaaaand cue the end of the indie game industry.

Well done, Steam.
B
43
S
12
G
1
Posts: 545
Reputation: 4,246

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:54 pm

it's $100 per game, opposed to a one time fee of $100 for unlimited games.. not that big of a change..
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:01 pm

@jobel - that's literally nothing. It's a change because green light wouldn't just allow everything in. Now everything is fair game. If I make a crap game and sell it for $10, I'll easily make my $100 back, so where is the risk?
B
43
S
12
G
1
Posts: 545
Reputation: 4,246

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:11 pm

If its a crappy game, your chances of making 100 back are kind of slim.
If it's a good game your profit will be less.
Less crappy games on Steam.
Less lower earning games for Steam to deal with, leaving just the higher earning games to profit from.
More reason to publish somewhere else.
Image ImageImage
B
171
S
50
G
180
Posts: 8,396
Reputation: 113,986

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:25 pm

@newt - Steam has a monopoly on the game market. There really is no other platform you can upload to and get anywhere near as much exposure as you can on steam.
B
43
S
12
G
1
Posts: 545
Reputation: 4,246

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:20 pm

ome6a1717 wrote:@jobel - that's literally nothing. It's a change because green light wouldn't just allow everything in. Now everything is fair game. If I make a crap game and sell it for $10, I'll easily make my $100 back, so where is the risk?


I agree with you there. The barrier to entry seems a little low for publishing on Steam. Then again, they are Steam and have access to more data than the US government. I hope they have kept quality in mind when they made the decision.
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
51
S
16
G
25
Posts: 425
Reputation: 17,423

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:29 pm

@cjbruce - of course not. Green light was the lite version of quality control from how they originally did it. Now they get so many submissions it's easier to just cash in on it and rid of any quality control.

Huge disappointment for developers, but it's also bad for gamers, too. Everything is going to be catered to what you like, leaving you with no way to find out about things you "might" be interested that you had no idea existed.
B
43
S
12
G
1
Posts: 545
Reputation: 4,246

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

ome6a1717 wrote:@newt - Steam has a monopoly on the game market. There really is no other platform you can upload to and get anywhere near as much exposure as you can on steam.


And that's why we should be using other platforms first.
Itch.io, Gamejolt, you can even sell full games here in the Scirra store, of course it's not really marketed that way.
Image ImageImage
B
171
S
50
G
180
Posts: 8,396
Reputation: 113,986

Post » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 pm

newt wrote:
ome6a1717 wrote:@newt - Steam has a monopoly on the game market. There really is no other platform you can upload to and get anywhere near as much exposure as you can on steam.


And that's why we should be using other platforms first.
Itch.io, Gamejolt, you can even sell full games here in the Scirra store, of course it's not really marketed that way.


don't forget GOG!
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests