Steam Plugin? Steamworks API

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi,

Since Construct 2 is now on Steam, what about implement a plugin for resources from steam?

The plugin should cover some resources from Steamworks API:
https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/api

Like Stats & Achievements, Friends, User Authentication & Ownership, Community, Cloud and others if possible.

This way we can made a full steam game, instead a simple node webkit.

Is this already in plans? Or is just impossible right now?
B

Post » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Almost forgot this one... Workshop integration!
B

Post » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm

I think the bigger problem would be getting your game on Steam, even with Greenlight it's pretty hard!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Don't worry , they are working on it !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:37 am

You can only get the Steamworks API once Steam have agreed to add you (i.e. successful greenlight or Valve want you). So even if we integrated it we would not have permission to publicly distribute it.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Sure, but my the question is not if I will get my game to Steam, is more like "if" I get my game on Steam.

I think for steam users, the possibility to integrate with Steam, even if is only for approved ones... will give Construct more users on Steam.

At least for me, I will never try to put my game to greenlight if I can't put some steam features after begin approved.

Or are you saying that games begin made with Construct 2 don't have potential to be on Steam?
B

Post » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm

Construct 2 games can be on Steam using the node-webkit exporter, and Valve say that Steam integration is entirely optional, so you don't have to use the Steamworks API to get on Steam. However there are a few problems like the fact the API is under NDA, so it's a bit trickier than normal.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Yes, note-webkit would work for Steam, I'm just trying to discussion the future here, If there's is or not a plan to implement those features. Probably right now is too much work for nothing.

Other thing is the workshop, not just for our games, but for Construct 2 as well, like adding plugins, textures, sounds though workshop to Construct 2.
B

Post » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm

A bit off topic, but my install of Construct 2 through steam won't work for me because it's not the latest version of Construct 2 (I think it was 114). Do I need to manually put the files in that folder for it to use the newest version?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pudgyplatypus

Learn to make a clicker game for cheap!
https://www.scirra.com/store/games-with ... e-game-666

Try out Pixel Golf on the Scirra Arcade!
https://www.scirra.com/arcade/sports-ga ... el-golf-67

Pudgy Platypus Games website!
www.pudgyplatypus.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:25 pm

@Wilsonglasser: try to read again Ashley's posts just above yours.
The first (only) thing to do for you is to get a game on Steam.

Integration of steam API should not a big deal but it is only accessible to accepted games anyway.
If your game gets accepted, than you should think about this integration (and should get help for it anyway either by Valve and/or Scirra).

As for the workshop features, I'm not sure it's that relevant. (plugins are stored in the forum what could steamwork add to this ?)
Also what about ppl who only use the standalone version ?

@Djfuzion: for now the steam version of C2 is only the stable (so r114). Ashley is working on having the beta version also working.
But as you said, it's off-topic of this thread.
I guess what you really need for now is this tutorial.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General