SteamOS announced - based on Linux

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 pm

I have a feeling there will be an explosion like any linux other distro at first.

I also have a feeling they will not be starting from scratch, I would be willing to bet they are going to base it off Debian or Gentoo.

If this is the case there will be thousands of applications ready for use on day 1 from the parent distros repository.

This might even turn out to be Valvebuntu, a remastered Ubuntu.
They take ubuntu, add and remove a few apps, Change artwork and icons, and roll up an ISO.

The advantage to using a pre-existing distro is that they will not have to re-invent the wheel for a lot of things.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:42 pm

If Nvidia is willing to play ball with AMD and use Mantle, that could further help SteamOS get stable footing.

But still, the biggest hurdle for it, the way I see it, is still gonna be the Windows only titles on Steam. How will that be handled? Emulation? Something else? I don't think it's something they can, or should, ignore.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:26 am

[QUOTE=inkBot] If Nvidia is willing to play ball with AMD and use Mantle, that could further help SteamOS get stable footing.

But still, the biggest hurdle for it, the way I see it, is still gonna be the Windows only titles on Steam. How will that be handled? Emulation? Something else? I don't think it's something they can, or should, ignore. [/QUOTE] Streaming. It says so in the thing about SteamOS

[QUOTE=sqiddster] @Thndr I very much doubt Steam will even want web/non-steam games being played on their OS - it's called 'SteamOS' for a reason.[/QUOTE] The issue is it's a PC and even the WiiU has it's native browser support HTML5.

Steam itself should be using a more fully featured webkit implimentation for the client on PCs. SteamOS could just allow easy integration of your browser of choice, but I doubt it and it'll have at least their implimentation of webkit.

Even if it is called "SteamOS" It's linux and they said people can do whatever they want on it. However the streaming non-steam games thing may not be a thing, but it depends on how they are streaming Windows games to SteamOS. I doubt steam will limit you to your own steam library due to the fact that it's MUCH more useful to be open about things. And Valve is pretty damn open.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:08 am

[QUOTE=Thndr]Streaming. It says so in the thing about SteamOS[/QUOTE]
Aware of it, read my first post in the thread for my thoughts about it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm at a loss of words for this... just... wat?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

inkBot2013-09-27 18:45:43
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm

Yeah, it's certainly risky.

But honestly - nothing negative could come from that controller if it flops, apart from Valve losing a bit of money. And if it turns out to be a great concept, that's fantasic!

It's a sad day when companies like Valve stop taking risks - and this controller shows they are as ready as ever.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:46 pm

It'll be interesting to see how it works. If I get lucky and am selected in the beta draw (small chance of that though) I'll definitely give my thoughts on it.

What baffles me aqbout it isn't the haptic touchpad... things. It's the placement of the face buttons. Playing any game that uses face buttons on this thing is probably not going to be a pleasant experience. Platformers or fighting games? Forget it.

It's obviously focused squarely on FPS games and cursor driven games, and that's what worries me about it.inkBot2013-09-27 22:47:14
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:01 pm

That may well be the case - but that's not all bad. They aren't going to stop you from using another controller for the more 'standard' controller games - but it's very interesting to see a controller that can stand up to mouse/keyboard in those other games.

B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:37 pm

True enough. But I kinda wanted to see someone challenge the 360/XBone controllers. Because XInput... ugh... BUt this isn't going to be it it seems.

If it works nicely for FPS'es, cool. But I'm not really expecting more.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:35 am

LOL, that controller looks awesome.

I bet whoever designed it had an Intellivision as a kid:

I cant wait to get one of those babies!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic