stencyl being nice to construct?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:01 am

Wow, first time I've heard about that enigma.. thanks a bunch
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:07 pm

That logo and lack of screenshots made me wonder for a brief moment if they didn't just use Construct source code for "inspiration."

It was a brief moment ;), but that logo does indeed smell of familiarity. Yes, I stuck my nose at the screen to be sure...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:17 pm

The problem with using a small group of alpha testers is they will get into a groove with the product and know how to use it and bugs will go unreported. With a beta test as big as construct everyone will try different things and find different bugs. Because there is no way a small group of people can find all the bugs in a program, some one will always manage to find a bug.

You know what they say: "When you make something idiot proof they just make a better idiot"
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:17 pm

[quote="Aeal5566":30utpfk3]The problem with using a small group of alpha testers is they will get into a groove with the product and know how to use it and bugs will go unreported.[/quote:30utpfk3]
That's very true, I think. A lot of bugs have been found and fixed when someone submits something totally crazy to the tracker which makes me think "wtf lol", like using dynamic lighting and physics on objects in a container which spawn and destroy randomly. I doubt myself or regular users would have ever thought to put something like that together, but it exposed a bug, which could then be fixed. I would worry, staying in a private beta, that all that type of testing was not being done, and those bugs would still be present at release.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:31 pm

[quote="Caspis Sinclair":s3zgkba8]
Actually... this is more appropriate.
(sorry, but the April "mini update" was laughable at best.)[/quote:s3zgkba8]
What? I don't get the picture and why was the april update laughable at best?

[quote="Ashley":s3zgkba8]I would worry, staying in a private beta, that all that type of testing was not being done, and those bugs would still be present at release.[/quote:s3zgkba8]

They might be worried to get a "buggy-product"-image.

It seems that instead of from buggy to stable, they prefer the on-the-surface-stable (when users don't do anything "crazy") release.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:50 pm

[quote="rogerty":1ebj1pae][quote="Caspis Sinclair":1ebj1pae]
(sorry, but the April "mini update" was laughable at best.)[/quote:1ebj1pae]
What? I don't get the picture and why was the april update laughable at best?[/quote:1ebj1pae]

The joke is that Stencyl has nothing at all to show. Who knows what the interface will look like, let alone any examples of games?

The "April Mini-Update" was just yet another repeat of what they've been saying for a long time now. "We've made plenty of progress, but we can't show you ANY of it. The Beta testing will start eventually... but YOU probably won't be invited (I'm not specifically referring to YOU :wink: )".

Meh.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:55 pm

[quote="Caspis Sinclair":3t1y86k1][quote="rogerty":3t1y86k1][quote="Caspis Sinclair":3t1y86k1]
(sorry, but the April "mini update" was laughable at best.)[/quote:3t1y86k1]
What? I don't get the picture and why was the april update laughable at best?[/quote:3t1y86k1]

The joke is that Stencyl has nothing at all to show. Who knows what the interface will look like, let alone any examples of games?

The "April Mini-Update" was just yet another repeat of what they've been saying for a long time now. "We've made plenty of progress, but we can't show you ANY of it. The Beta testing will start eventually... but YOU probably won't be invited (I'm not specifically referring to YOU :wink: )".

Meh.[/quote:3t1y86k1]

And what about that Terminator 2-dude and the robot dog? I want to understand the joke. 8)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:06 pm

There sure are a lot of game makers popping up right now.

I don't give two flying fucks as long as something's released. Look at how awesome Game Salad looked in the press and now it's sorta 'meh'.

I love Construct for what it is right now. I think we'll see fucking powerful stuff being done with it - In the end, the tool is always just a tool, it'll depend on the quality that the users will push out using Construct as a tool.

I helped designing quite a few high profile 3d apps over the last couple of years and I've never _ever_ seen a developer deliver at 1.0 when he's never released anything before. This shit is just too complex and if you're not an artist or a gamedesigner yourself, face it, chances are you won't have all the answers right away.

Release early, release often and let your users tell you where they want to go. In the end, they're the ones using the application, anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 pm

[quote="rogerty":3c4u3323]And what about that Terminator 2-dude and the robot dog? I want to understand the joke. 8)[/quote:3c4u3323]

:oops:

If you were to compare Construct and Stencyl as robots, Construct would be the T-1000 (a seriously baddass and incredibly advanced robot...err, Cyborg).

Wait, isn't it an Android created with manufactured organic skin and flesh? I thought a cyborg was a human that is augmented by robotics...?

...and Stencyl would be "Aibo", the sort of neat but mostly useless and definitely "un-baddass" real-life robot.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:29 pm

[quote="Caspis Sinclair":14c6or5c][quote="rogerty":14c6or5c]And what about that Terminator 2-dude and the robot dog? I want to understand the joke. 8)[/quote:14c6or5c]
If you were to compare Construct and Stencyl as robots, Construct would be the T-1000 (a seriously baddass and incredibly advanced robot...err, Cyborg).

Wait, isn't it an Android created with manufactured organic skin and flesh? I thought a cyborg was a human that is augmented by robotics...?[/quote:14c6or5c]

Oh, ok. Now I see :)
I've been watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles recently, so I'd say: yeah, android. :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic