Stencyl released!

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm

I havent had a chance to try this yet but i must say i'm very impressed with the look of it's user interface, and the website design too.

Their "eventing" seems a little long winded compared to constructs.

I don't get it as well, it's been years in the making going on about their java engine then all of a sudden then decide to use flixel, and the "revolutionary" way to program games thats been hush hush for so long turns out to be scratch blocks?

Still competition is usually good news for us users :)

I think Construct will have to be something "extra" special to compete against a free product of this quality.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 7:23 pm

Stencyl was among my first finds when I began to look for game-creation programs a while back (it was still in development). I'm interested to see what they've finally come out with.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Super buggy so far. Will try it out again later once it figures out that my internet connection is, in fact, working. -w-;;
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Yeah I've been trying lo load a sample game page for about two minutes now :(

I want to see what it can doooooo :cry:

Strange that they just up and decided to use Flixel though. I wonder what brought that on. Oh, and the puzzle-blocks event system thing has been common knowledge for a while now ;)
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 7:35 pm

looks pretty cool actually. I just hope it's powerful enough to make cool stuff.

[quote="http://www.stencyl.com/stencylworks/overview/":r8oxpbz2]No Coding Required
Snap blocks together. Kid tested. MIT approved.
Our drag-and-drop gameplay designer builds off the wildly successful MIT Scratch project. We extend Scratch's simple block-snapping interface with new functionality and hundreds of ready-to-use blocks. Power users can create their own blocks to use and share with others.

For the programmers out there, we offer a powerful "code mode" interface (complete with code completion) for writing behaviors via our ActionScript 3 API. (You can also use an external editor of your choosing.) AS3 code is a first-class citizen; it interacts seamlessly with "Design Mode" behaviors and can even be embedded inside them! [/quote:r8oxpbz2]

I'm very curious about it. The eventing looks almost identical to construct to me, aside from the graphics.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 7:56 pm

I can't get to their site...
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 8:02 pm

[quote="inkBot":ec8etuwp]I can't get to their site...[/quote:ec8etuwp]

Stencyl
Our servers are getting hit pretty hard right now. We're working on increasing our capacity. Hold tight!

From their twitter
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Finally got the sample game to load, took the page about four minutes. I've spent the last forty-five minutes playing the Blinding Force demo game. And... it was really good! A very solid platformer with good controls. I had a couple framerate issues here and there that messed up my jumps, but then again I get framerate issues on other games in Firefox as well.

Really though I'm pretty impressed. Good job, Stencyl :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 pm

I am curious as to how their speed compares to C2html5.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 9:16 pm

There, I got it downloaded now. Gonna give it a go and see if it's good.

First impression is that it's pretty slick.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic